Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

BoJangles 04-29-2011 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962
I have been out of pocket lately. My husband and I have a turtle farm and it is turtle egg season. Glad to hear all is well from the weather. Just catching up on all the pretty machines that have shown up. I enjoy looking at all the machines for sure. I tripped on a Pfaff 230 for $10 in a really ugly carrying case. The next day, my uncle-in-law bought by a cabinet, purely by chance, that it fit in nicely. I cleaned and oiled it up and it appears to be the strongest and fastest machine I have, which is pretty amazing for 30+ machines. Does anybody know where I can download a free manual for it? It is the automatic one, with the zz, and other embroidery stitches.

Wow Melinda, a turtle farm? Turtle egg season? That sounds really interesting.

I love Pfaff's, and I actually have 4 Pfaffs, but not the 230. Good luck, maybe someone else here has a manual they will copy for you!

Nancy

Kathie S. 04-29-2011 08:07 PM

Kathie, at least you showed restraint, I came home with another fiddle base. :oops: My DH just shakes his head. I couldn't resist - now I'll need to figure out how to get her up and running. She's a Domestic No. 4 treadle.

Judy there was no restraint there as it was the same machine that I already had, or else it would have come home with me, Kathie

BoJangles 04-29-2011 08:11 PM

Kathie, once you get this addiction there really is no cure!

On a good note, I redid my sewing room again. I took out the Free Company treadle since he has made a couple nice quilts for me. I put my 127 Sphinx in the sewing room to give it a whirl as my piecing machine. I have been using the Sphinx for heming jeans, etc., but decided I needed to really give it a try as my piecing machine. I want to rotate all my treadles in and out of the sewing room eventually. I loved using the Free as it is like treadling on water -- so smooth and easy. The 127 treadles much harder, but I think it sews a better stitch than the Free -- only because I had to really hold onto my fabric to keep it sewing straight when I used the Free - it always wanted to pull the fabric sideways. I have read that some of the vintage machines did that because the feed dogs were different lengths. I started a baby quilt today on the Sphinx -- we will see how I like using it everyday. The next one I want to try is my Wheeler & Wilson. Right now the W&W is the machine I use for mending. I have a lot of fun using these treadles. I hope you all are actually using your treadles too!

Nancy

Kitzone 04-29-2011 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by Kitzone
Kathie, at least you showed restraint, I came home with another fiddle base. :oops: My DH just shakes his head. I couldn't resist - now I'll need to figure out how to get her up and running. She's a Domestic No. 4 treadle.

Would anyone have a source for dating Domestic's? I think she's probably from the late 1800's but haven't found any dating records.

Judy

Judy there is a Domestic VS and a Domestic Rotary that White manufactured for Sears to sell. I'd start by checking the White dating site, although, if the machine is a fiddle base from the late 1800's maybe it is pre Sears?

Nancy

Thanks Nancy ~ looked at the White site and it must be prior as the Domestic dates start at 1929. I need a hint on threading.... the metal piece under the tension thumb screw (on top of the arm) doesn't seem to have a hole to thread the thread through. Am I missing something??

I have attached a picture of the tension assembly like the one on the Domestic and it appears there should be a hole somewhere on the flat metal piece. Any hints or directions would be greatly appreciated :)

Judy

Lostn51 04-29-2011 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I was able to set up my Singer 328k in the treadle today. It works! Here are some photos of him in treadle, how the treadle belt is threaded through the machine, and some of the decorative stitches that I made while treadling him. The electric cord on side isn't being used; it is just sitting off to the side of treadle.

Okay did you have to make the opening larger in the treadle for the machine? I love the looks of it in the treadle and you guys did a great job!!

I am going to make mine into a treadle model!!

Billy

San Diego Quilter 04-29-2011 11:24 PM

I just inherited a lovely Singer 99-13.....but with no power cord or foot pedal. I borrowed one from my featherweight just to make sure that she sews and she does! Yeah!!!!

Also - I note that the 99-13 has a hole in the case for a knee control. Alas, I've been searching (google) for about an hour and cannot find a site that lists the knee controls for sale. Anyone know where I can find the knee control, power cord, and foot petal?

Does the 99-13 use the same parts as the 66?

Thanks in advance!
Linda - San Diego Quilter

mamajack3 04-29-2011 11:50 PM

I have a question. I just got me a FW and am so excited. She is a beauty with very little wear. When I received her the motor purrs, the needle goes up and down but it didn't sew. I changed the needle messed with the bobbin and she sewed like a champ until I ran out of bobbin thread. After I filled the bobbin she is doing the same thing. Help! I really want to play with my new toy. Any thoughts or suggestions?

vintagemotif 04-30-2011 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I was able to set up my Singer 328k in the treadle today. It works! Here are some photos of him in treadle, how the treadle belt is threaded through the machine, and some of the decorative stitches that I made while treadling him. The electric cord on side isn't being used; it is just sitting off to the side of treadle.

Okay did you have to make the opening larger in the treadle for the machine? I love the looks of it in the treadle and you guys did a great job!!

I am going to make mine into a treadle model!!

Billy

Nope, I didn't have to make the opening larger, just had to remove that narrow black plate (belt plate?) that has the large spring underneath attached to it. The machine head fits nicely into the cabinet, pins line up and all! And I did this project all on my own; my husband didn't help. It treadles a bit hard right now since the belt hits in front a small area of the machine under the bobbin winder ( I posted that picture already). I have a straight-leg treadle, but that has been modified to hold my Two Spools. If the straight-leg had a Singer, I would switch heads out to see if the Singer 328 works better in the straight-leg treadle. I think the 328 just might be design to sit in a straight-leg treadle. The belt should be more parallel to the machine than what it is now, which is why I think the straight-leg treadle would work better. This is a fun project!

sew wishful 04-30-2011 04:53 AM

I passed up a 403 (?) Thursday because DH was "on a mission" if you get my not so subtle hint!! $85 was the asking price in a cabinet with a stool. I'm so bummed. I was able to open the lid far enough (it was packed into an area under a shelf at a thrift store) to get the box out. Looked as though all the cams were there along with book and attachments. I know nothing about this machine, except what I've heard here. I so want a 301, though, so I didn't make a fuss when I couldn't get the 403 or whatever. I'm holding out. Also, there was a sewing cabinet I would have loved to get to put my 15-91 in. $49. So sad. Thought about going back alone, but with the price of gas, and 2 hours drive to and back, I decided against it. Guess I will get the other machines cleaned up and be happy! I have a 66 that I haven't touched yet. It's holding my serger. LOL!

Kitzone 04-30-2011 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by mamajack3
I have a question. I just got me a FW and am so excited. She is a beauty with very little wear. When I received her the motor purrs, the needle goes up and down but it didn't sew. I changed the needle messed with the bobbin and she sewed like a champ until I ran out of bobbin thread. After I filled the bobbin she is doing the same thing. Help! I really want to play with my new toy. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Hi Mamajack3,
My neighbor was having similar issues with her 15-91. I found there was a small thread stuck in the bobbin tension. Gave the bobbin race a good cleaning, reinserted the bobbins and it sewed like a dream. When this happens to me I always go to the simplest solution first. Check upper spool and bobbin threading. Is the bobbin in correctly. Make sure everything is clear of lint (including the bobbin race assembly). Some use wax-less dental floss to clean between the upper tension disks. Lastly, you might even try taking some thread off the bobbin (if it is wound completely full).

Let us know what specifically your FW is doing if the above steps do not resolve your dilemma. Good Luck!!

Judy