Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

BoJangles 04-30-2011 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Grandmother23
Picked up a Universal Sewing Machine, Made in Japan has A61813 on it.

Also got a Free Sewing machine Co, Chicago with what looks like 8920 8or2 on the backside on a plate. Really hard to read and hoping with a little cleaning, I will be able to read it better. On the front plate it says
July 30-07
Feb 11-02 / Sept 15-08
Feb 11-02 /Dec 21-09
Oct 17-05 / Jan 4-10
July 30-07

Lauren

Lauren, I can't wait to see the pictures! The Free with the SN of 89208 or 89202 fits right in with the Free's that we have in this shop. My Free is a C83642, but Nana has an 827313 and Trish has an 873674, which would make your Free about a 1911 or 1912 machine.

Nancy

BoJangles 04-30-2011 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
Thanks Nancy ~ looked at the White site and it must be prior as the Domestic dates start at 1929. I need a hint on threading.... the metal piece under the tension thumb screw (on top of the arm) doesn't seem to have a hole to thread the thread through. Am I missing something??

I have attached a picture of the tension assembly like the one on the Domestic and it appears there should be a hole somewhere on the flat metal piece. Any hints or directions would be greatly appreciated :)

Judy

Judy it is confusing, but there really is no 'hole' it is more like a thread groove or slot to get your thread between the tension plates on top. Your thread goes from the spool pin to the slot which places the thread in the tension assembly (that flat metal thing on top).

From the tension assembly (it is called the tension spring and cap) the thread goes through a hole (actual hole) called the eyelet spring on the top of the head.

Does this help?

Nancy

BoJangles 04-30-2011 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by San Diego Quilter
I just inherited a lovely Singer 99-13.....but with no power cord or foot pedal. I borrowed one from my featherweight just to make sure that she sews and she does! Yeah!!!!

Also - I note that the 99-13 has a hole in the case for a knee control. Alas, I've been searching (google) for about an hour and cannot find a site that lists the knee controls for sale. Anyone know where I can find the knee control, power cord, and foot petal?

Does the 99-13 use the same parts as the 66?

Thanks in advance!
Linda - San Diego Quilter

Linda, yes to some of the same parts, but no to others. The 66 was produced from 1902 until 1959. If you have an older 66 with the back clamping feet, no those feet are not interchangeable with the 99-13. Yes, the bobbins are the same and are interchangeable. The slide plate and bobbin plates are interchangeable. So yes and no to your question!

Nancy

BoJangles 04-30-2011 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by mamajack3
I have a question. I just got me a FW and am so excited. She is a beauty with very little wear. When I received her the motor purrs, the needle goes up and down but it didn't sew. I changed the needle messed with the bobbin and she sewed like a champ until I ran out of bobbin thread. After I filled the bobbin she is doing the same thing. Help! I really want to play with my new toy. Any thoughts or suggestions?

When you reinserted the bobbin case did you make sure the case was latched in correctly? Did you hear it snap in place with the finger of the bobbin case in the slot? The bobbin case should be inserted with the thread drawing from the top of the case. Did you thread the bobbin case correctly with the thread coming from the top of the bobbin as you inserted it into the bobbin case - drawing from right to left? Did you thread the bobbin case correctly drawing the thread into the slot in the case and back under the tension spring into the slot at the end of the tension spring?

I'd re-thread the bobbin and re-insert the whole case. Did you change the needle a second time then put it back wrong? The flat side of the needle has to be to the left then threaded from right to left.

Hope this helps, let us know!

Nancy

buslady 04-30-2011 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by mamajack3
I have a question. I just got me a FW and am so excited. She is a beauty with very little wear. When I received her the motor purrs, the needle goes up and down but it didn't sew. I changed the needle messed with the bobbin and she sewed like a champ until I ran out of bobbin thread. After I filled the bobbin she is doing the same thing. Help! I really want to play with my new toy. Any thoughts or suggestions?

did u change out the bobbin? neither of my FWs will sew w/new bobbins, i had to buy vintage.

Kitzone 04-30-2011 07:51 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Thanks Nancy ~ looked at the White site and it must be prior as the Domestic dates start at 1929. I need a hint on threading.... the metal piece under the tension thumb screw (on top of the arm) doesn't seem to have a hole to thread the thread through. Am I missing something??

Judy

Judy it is confusing, but there really is no 'hole' it is more like a thread groove or slot to get your thread between the tension plates on top. Your thread goes from the spool pin to the slot which places the thread in the tension assembly (that flat metal thing on top).

From the tension assembly (it is called the tension spring and cap) the thread goes through a hole (actual hole) called the eyelet spring on the top of the head.

Does this help?

Nancy

It appears that someone decided to replace the "tension spring and cap" (thank you for sharing the proper name) to make it look like it was complete. I scrounged around and found a replacement. Baffling to say the least. Also discovered about 100 yards of very old thread wrapped around the drive wheel. I was wondering if this was a way to keep the belt from slipping???

Judy

1890's Domestic No. 4 Cabinet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]191062[/ATTACH]

Lostn51 04-30-2011 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I was able to set up my Singer 328k in the treadle today. It works! Here are some photos of him in treadle, how the treadle belt is threaded through the machine, and some of the decorative stitches that I made while treadling him. The electric cord on side isn't being used; it is just sitting off to the side of treadle.

Okay did you have to make the opening larger in the treadle for the machine? I love the looks of it in the treadle and you guys did a great job!!

I am going to make mine into a treadle model!!

Billy

Nope, I didn't have to make the opening larger, just had to remove that narrow black plate (belt plate?) that has the large spring underneath attached to it. The machine head fits nicely into the cabinet, pins line up and all! And I did this project all on my own; my husband didn't help. It treadles a bit hard right now since the belt hits in front a small area of the machine under the bobbin winder ( I posted that picture already). I have a straight-leg treadle, but that has been modified to hold my Two Spools. If the straight-leg had a Singer, I would switch heads out to see if the Singer 328 works better in the straight-leg treadle. I think the 328 just might be design to sit in a straight-leg treadle. The belt should be more parallel to the machine than what it is now, which is why I think the straight-leg treadle would work better. This is a fun project!

Sweet I am going to keep my machine instead of selling it. I only gave $6 for it and it runs like a champ! At least I will have some spare parts and I needed to rob the foot pedal for an FW repaint.

I will cut the notch out in my machine if it needs it, remember my set up is a little different with my machine almost 3" further away from the treadle for the top I am using. So maybe the geometry will be a little bit better.

Billy

Lostn51 04-30-2011 07:55 AM

It appears that someone decided to replace the "tension spring and cap" (thank you for sharing the proper name) to make it look like it was complete. I scrounged around and found a replacement. Baffling to say the least. Also discovered about 100 yards of very old thread wrapped around the drive wheel. I was wondering if this was a way to keep the belt from slipping???

Judy

Judy I love your Domestic, I have 2 of them now and I need to see what year my other one is. Unfortunately it is still in NO and I have to run to my BIL's to get it. But I am anxious to see it and bring it home.

I really love how nice yours is and it looks like it was well cared for. That was a wonderful score!!

Billy

Kitzone 04-30-2011 08:13 AM

Judy I love your Domestic, I have 2 of them now and I need to see what year my other one is. Unfortunately it is still in NO and I have to run to my BIL's to get it. But I am anxious to see it and bring it home.

I really love how nice yours is and it looks like it was well cared for. That was a wonderful score!!

Billy

Hi Billy~ Glad you weathered the storm. I haven't heard from Glenn and wondered if anyone else has been in contact with him?

Also was wondering if you had a source for dating Domestic's? Needle bar Serial # 1429292. I'm guessing she's in 1890's. She's a little nicked here and there but you can tell that she was a SM that had been loved.

Judy

Lostn51 04-30-2011 08:24 AM

Billy

Hi Billy~ Glad you weathered the storm. I haven't heard from Glenn and wondered if anyone else has been in contact with him?

Also was wondering if you had a source for dating Domestic's? Needle bar Serial # 1429292. I'm guessing she's in 1890's. She's a little nicked here and there but you can tell that she was a SM that had been loved.

Judy

The star in the irons clue you off to a 1890's model and the serial is on up there. I cant remember mine right off the top of my head but it is an 1882 and the other one I have no idea. I had a friend date it for me by using her warranty records that she has from the company and where certain serials fall in between them. The more numbers that she has the better the base will be and we will be able to have a definitive source for dating.

Billy