Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Honchey 10-09-2011 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Candace

Originally Posted by Honchey
Anyone familiar with these hinges!!!

Yup, one of my machines came in a table with them. One was broken and it was a witch trying to find a replacement. I finally sold the table....

I've decided not to clean up the cabinet...the wood has warped in some areas. Would it be a good idea to take the hardware off whever I can?.....Another question. Can any model machine with 9-3/4 width space be used with any type hinges that measure the same as long as it fits in the opening???

Weedwoman 10-09-2011 06:50 AM

The singer w/sphinx decals needs a tension spring and the front pull out drawer on the cabinet is missing but it does have a wood pitman. My DH will have it looking as new as possible when he gets time to work on it. Took pics and will post them soon. Have no idea just where I'm going to put another treadle but it's kinda like kids, you always find room for one more. lol
# is L1117096

Candace 10-09-2011 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Candace

Anyone familiar with these hinges!!!

Yup, one of my machines came in a table with them. One was broken and it was a witch trying to find a replacement. I finally sold the table....

I've decided not to clean up the cabinet...the wood has warped in some areas. Would it be a good idea to take the hardware off whever I can?.....Another question. Can any model machine with 9-3/4 width space be used with any type hinges that measure the same as long as it fits in the opening???

If the cabinet is beyond saving, then by all means try to scavenge the hardware. You can either save it for a possible restore or sell it for a few dollars.

As long as it fits the opening and the hinge pins fit fine in the machine, you're good to go.

Bennett 10-09-2011 08:41 AM

Well, I did it again. I have my 2nd treadle machine--a White Family Rotary in a Mission cabinet. :) The machine moves freely, so the cleanup is going to be cosmetic. She is just covered in grime. I do think most of the decals are intact underneath. The cabinet is still at my sister's. No matter how hard we tried, we just couldn't cram it into the backseat or trunk of a little Hyundai! It needs some work on the veneer and pretty much every joint needs to be re-glued. There is something wrong with the lift, but I think it has "good bones." No pics to share yet--maybe next week after it comes home.

Serial number: FR 2623596, about 1917. I found some papers crammed behind the drawers from 1935 with information on a church and a high school in Indiana. The seller said it was her great-aunt's machine and that she had been wanting to fix it up, but just never got around to it.

Also an interesting note, I saw where the WFR with Mission cabinet was originally about $75-$80. According to an inflation calculator, it would be about $1200 to $1300 these days. Makes my $45 look good by comparison.

Now I really need to get on the ball and get some of my machine stash going and quit looking for new ones!

Lostn51 10-09-2011 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Billy, Glad to see you around again. Know it is tough but are you feeling better these days?
glenn

i have good days and I have bead but I am doing a lot better!!!!

Billy

Lostn51 10-09-2011 10:47 AM

Okay I went to the worlds largest yard sale yesterday that spans 6 states along one hwy and I found more machines that you can imagine!!!!! I bought several items and was able to make a lucrative deal with an antique dealer with me supplying him with treadles and vintage machines. :thumbup:

I did not take a lot of money with me because I had no idea what I was going to get it no but OMG next year I am taking my 40 trailer and about 6 grand and I will be in hog heaven!!!! I stopped counting treadle after 50 or so and I saw 25 or 30 different manufactures along with lots of them in the 1800's. I bought some n ew old stock Tennessee bicycle plates from 1953 and 1954 that were correct for that county for $5 a pair and sold them this morning for $200 to my buddy. He could not get over here fast enough to get them!!!

I will post photos of all of the neat treadle related items I bought and be ready for me to unload a few things in the sale section sometime soon. I need to clean out some garage so I can make room for 10 more treadles that I bought.

Billy

Mollie'sMom 10-09-2011 10:57 AM

Where was the yard sale? I want to go

quiltdoctor 10-09-2011 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Bennett
Well, I did it again. I have my 2nd treadle machine--a White Family Rotary in a Mission cabinet. :) The machine moves freely, so the cleanup is going to be cosmetic. She is just covered in grime. I do think most of the decals are intact underneath. The cabinet is still at my sister's. No matter how hard we tried, we just couldn't cram it into the backseat or trunk of a little Hyundai! It needs some work on the veneer and pretty much every joint needs to be re-glued. There is something wrong with the lift, but I think it has "good bones." No pics to share yet--maybe next week after it comes home.

Serial number: FR 2623596, about 1917. I found some papers crammed behind the drawers from 1935 with information on a church and a high school in Indiana. The seller said it was her great-aunt's machine and that she had been wanting to fix it up, but just never got around to it.

Also an interesting note, I saw where the WFR with Mission cabinet was originally about $75-$80. According to an inflation calculator, it would be about $1200 to $1300 these days. Makes my $45 look good by comparison.

Now I really need to get on the ball and get some of my machine stash going and quit looking for new ones!

I'm glad you went ahead and bought it. Guess you didn't go look at the Pfaff??

Texas Jan

quiltdoctor 10-09-2011 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Okay I went to the worlds largest yard sale yesterday that spans 6 states along one hwy and I found more machines that you can imagine!!!!! I bought several items and was able to make a lucrative deal with an antique dealer with me supplying him with treadles and vintage machines. :thumbup:

I did not take a lot of money with me because I had no idea what I was going to get it no but OMG next year I am taking my 40 trailer and about 6 grand and I will be in hog heaven!!!! I stopped counting treadle after 50 or so and I saw 25 or 30 different manufactures along with lots of them in the 1800's. I bought some n ew old stock Tennessee bicycle plates from 1953 and 1954 that were correct for that county for $5 a pair and sold them this morning for $200 to my buddy. He could not get over here fast enough to get them!!!

I will post photos of all of the neat treadle related items I bought and be ready for me to unload a few things in the sale section sometime soon. I need to clean out some garage so I can make room for 10 more treadles that I bought.

Billy

So glad to see you wheelin and dealin again. You must be feeling Much better.

Texas Jan

Lostn51 10-09-2011 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie'sMom
Where was the yard sale? I want to go

The yard sale goes from Either West Virginia Or Virginia to Georgia along one hwy and is the most fun I have had in a long time. I am going to plan my vacation around it next year! I was able to go 10 miles on it in Lewis County TN and I saw maybe 3500 vendors in that short of a distance. A lot of Mennonites were wandering around there and they had quite a few machines for sale. The prices were just unreal and like I said I am going to take my 40 enclosed trailer and several dollars and buy everything I find. I missed a couple of deals because I didnt have the cash on me at the time but they were the Boye display boxes one with half of the tubes in the thing with both needles and shuttles for $100. And then there was a really pretty JP Coats display case from the early 1900's for $75. I only brought $50 in cash because I didnt think much about the sale and had no idea of the enormous deals and all of the cool things that would be there. I had my credit cards but its hard to use them at a yard sale LOL!!

But believe me I am hurting big time today but it was worth every bit of it!!

Billy