Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

vintagemotif 04-29-2011 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by sew wishful

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Here you go....I have a couple more I'll send.

Randa, do you know who made that machine and what year it is made?

There is a Damascus Grand rotary machine sold by Montgomery Wards and made by the National Sewing Machine Company. The Damascus had very ornate decals, but the throat plate, bobbin plate look the same as your machine. Was it made for Montgomery Wards? Cute machine, I sometimes wonder, though, why so many companies jumped on that Godzilla finish? It seems all the different companies made those! Thanks for posting a picture!

Nancy

That is interesting, I see that Monica posted that your Grand Rotary looks alot like the Graybar she has. Since, National made sewing machines for Western Electric for two years before Graybar split off to form the Graybar Company - I wonder if it was made by National? I think that Godzilla finish happened earlier than the 1940's. Does anyone have a Godzilla type machine earlier than 1940's?

Actually, my White with the Black Crinkle Embossed finish is from 1931.

Where would I even find that information? (Is Monica RedbugSullivan?? She sure was a great help to me!)

Vintagemotif is Monica, that's me. I posted photos on threading the machine for you. That is what Nancy was referring to. Your machine, the Graybar, and the National Two Spools (that I own and used in the photos and not my Graybar) all thread the same way. Nancy took notice to all of this since she is interested in a Graybar.

vintagemotif 04-29-2011 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by HisPatchwork

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I was able to set up my Singer 328k in the treadle today. It works! Here are some photos of him in treadle, how the treadle belt is threaded through the machine, and some of the decorative stitches that I made while treadling him. The electric cord on side isn't being used; it is just sitting off to the side of treadle.

I like the idea of decorative stitches on a treadle. Are there any other machines with decorative stitches that will fit into and sew with a treadle?

I think Miz Johnny had said the Singer 306 and 319 take the cams, but use the 206x13 needles. I wanted a machine that used the standard needles, can be used in treadle, and make decorative stitches. So, this was one that I came across while researching Singer zig-zag machines in treadle.

MS quilter 04-29-2011 02:43 PM

Billy, I need a bobbin bobbin case for a singer treadle model 15. I can't find one that is turned the right way.

Grandmother23 04-29-2011 03:06 PM

Picked up a Universal Sewing Machine, Made in Japan has A61813 on it.

Also got a Free Sewing machine Co, Chicago with what looks like 8920 8or2 on the backside on a plate. Really hard to read and hoping with a little cleaning, I will be able to read it better. On the front plate it says
July 30-07
Feb 11-02 / Sept 15-08
Feb 11-02 /Dec 21-09
Oct 17-05 / Jan 4-10
July 30-07

Other Patents Pending Notice to Jobbers and Dealers. This machine is sold subject to conditions & restrictions as to price as which & persons by whom it may be resold as certain able by the manufactories upon application.

Picked up another Kenmore M#117.580 S#18880

I love my trips to Illinois!! I will post pictures once I get home early next week as it took me over an hour to pack he car.

Lauren

Grandmother23 04-29-2011 03:07 PM

sorry pushed the button twice.

vintagemotif 04-29-2011 03:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

I was able to set up my Singer 328k in the treadle today. It works! Here are some photos of him in treadle, how the treadle belt is threaded through the machine, and some of the decorative stitches that I made while treadling him. The electric cord on side isn't being used; it is just sitting off to the side of treadle.

This is so cool!! I hate to sound dumb, but (1) did you have to disconnect the motor, (2) why is the back plate off and (3) does the cord rub on the bobbin winder??

You got me looking at different machines when I asked awhile back about machines that have the capability of decorative stitches and treadle use.
And credit should also go to Purplefiend, Sharon, since she posted her Singer 237 in treadle. That post got me thinking about other machines and asking for help on decorative machines. Thank you Sharon!

This machine, 328k, is belt drive, the motor just sits inside; so, it doesn't need to be removed. I found a free online manual that shows that this machine has option of being treadled or using the motor.

The back plate is off because I wanted to show how the treadle belt gets threaded through. I just need to put that on.

Cord doesn't hit bobbin winder, but it does rub up close to front piece just under the winder. I wonder if this machine was designed to sit in the straight leg treadle. When researching machines, I saw this one person's photo of their 328K in treadle. She had cut out that piece just under the bobbin winder where the treadle belt would rub against. I most likely will have to do the same.

Here is photo of the part the treadle belt rubs against. Sorry that photo is sideways.

Nanamoms 04-29-2011 04:00 PM

Does anyone have or know of a site where I can reprint the owner's manual for the 15-91? I am watching a couple of originals on eBay but was anxious to get started. Mine was made in November, 1951.

Also, the left button on the foot pedal has come off. It looks like it should just pop right back on but I can't get it to do it! Any suggestions?

This is my "free baby" from a nice lady I met on Craig's List. I probably need to take her in for a good physical but not sure I can lift her. My DDIL says "she's heavy"!! LOL

vintagemotif 04-29-2011 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
Does anyone have or know of a site where I can reprint the owner's manual for the 15-91? I am watching a couple of originals on eBay but was anxious to get started. Mine was made in November, 1951.

Also, the left button on the foot pedal has come off. It looks like it should just pop right back on but I can't get it to do it! Any suggestions?

This is my "free baby" from a nice lady I met on Craig's List. I probably need to take her in for a good physical but not sure I can lift her. My DDIL says "she's heavy"!! LOL

Here is your free manual, just look for 15-91. Can't help you with the foot pedal, but someone else here can.

http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...e-manuals.html

Kathie S. 04-29-2011 04:53 PM

I just wanted to say that all of you guys are very special people. I love and appreciate each and everyone of you. I have received pm's saying that you are praying for my sister-in-law. She is slowly getting worse but is in no pain yet. I have people respond to parts that I have needed. I thank each and every one of you. I need to go into rehab and can not find one that deals with my addiction. I almost bought another machine today. Surely there is help for me. I hope not! I am sure none of you have any idea of what I am talking about. Have a nice weekend everyone. Kathie :D

Miz Johnny 04-29-2011 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

This is so cool!! I hate to sound dumb, but (1) did you have to disconnect the motor, (2) why is the back plate off and (3) does the cord rub on the bobbin winder??

You got me looking at different machines when I asked awhile back about machines that have the capability of decorative stitches and treadle use.
And credit should also go to Purplefiend, Sharon, since she posted her Singer 237 in treadle. That post got me thinking about other machines and asking for help on decorative machines. Thank you Sharon!

This machine, 328k, is belt drive, the motor just sits inside; so, it doesn't need to be removed. I found a free online manual that shows that this machine has option of being treadled or using the motor.

The back plate is off because I wanted to show how the treadle belt gets threaded through. I just need to put that on.

Cord doesn't hit bobbin winder, but it does rub up close to front piece just under the winder. I wonder if this machine was designed to sit in the straight leg treadle. When researching machines, I saw this one person's photo of their 328K in treadle. She had cut out that piece just under the bobbin winder where the treadle belt would rub against. I most likely will have to do the same.

Here is photo of the part the treadle belt rubs against. Sorry that photo is sideways.

I know that some folks use their dremels to grind that bottom part of the bobbin winder off. I have a 328k that I planned to use in a treadle, but never got around to it. It's brown rather than lovely blue, though. Maybe I will get around to trying it this summer!!