Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

HisPatchwork 04-29-2011 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I was able to set up my Singer 328k in the treadle today. It works! Here are some photos of him in treadle, how the treadle belt is threaded through the machine, and some of the decorative stitches that I made while treadling him. The electric cord on side isn't being used; it is just sitting off to the side of treadle.

I like the idea of decorative stitches on a treadle. Are there any other machines with decorative stitches that will fit into and sew with a treadle?

jljack 04-29-2011 10:22 AM

I was able to set up my Singer 328k in the treadle today. It works! Here are some photos of him in treadle, how the treadle belt is threaded through the machine, and some of the decorative stitches that I made while treadling him. The electric cord on side isn't being used; it is just sitting off to the side of treadle.

That is totally cool!!! It should be so much fun using it that way!! And if there's a power outage, you can sew by candlelight!! Very cool!! Maybe I'll think about putting my Western Electric 1917 on treadle. But then again, it was one of the very first electric machines, so, maybe I should leave it. Decisions, decisions!! :-)

jljack 04-29-2011 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Yeah, I know, but I think I am far enough inland that I don't have to worry too much! Nancy

Nancy, if you believe what is written you need to worry as I read that the Sierra Mountains will be the new coast line. lol Kathie

Oh, I live closer to the sea than Nancy does, and I do not believe all that stuff about sliding into the ocean. It's NOT GONNA HAPPEN!! It's all HOG WASH!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Miz Johnny 04-29-2011 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

Originally Posted by RML
Do you know anything about the British "Eclipse" sewing machines? I saw one yesterday at an antique shop.

I have an Eclipse handcrank around here somewhere, but can't remember where. . . . .

Mine is like this one, which belongs to a friend:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...71317108zfmWtN

Miz Johnny, I'd love to see a picture of your machine AND I am still waiting to see the Pfaff treadle someday!

Nancy

Eventually, I will find everything!! Actually, I know where the Pfaff is, I just have never taken pictures of it.

Miz Johnny 04-29-2011 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

Miz Johnny I had never heard the term "Vindex B" type of tension. Does that mean all those type machines fall under that category? Like my New Home T No 3 with the same tension setup?

Nancy

No, it was just a reference to the Vindex B top tension, rather than say a VB front tension.

That is what I thought as I know someone on here posted a picture (didn't they) of a Vindex machine? Anyway, what do you mean a reference to the Vindex B top tension -- is that just a reference to the particular machine named Vindex?

Nancy

The model name is VB-TT (Vindex "B" Top Tension) as opposed to VB (Vindex B with a front tension). It just refers to the model name.

Miz Johnny 04-29-2011 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
I've not used a double needle in my regular machine either....was just thinking about it as I have to be repairing a leg on my sons dress pants. I have no clue how to do it. You can see the double needle that threaded the rest of the seam. They don't have to be nice looking, it's just the bottom of one pant leg....but he has to have dress pants for his upcoming choir concert and he ripped the side seam on his only pair.

All of his ripped jeans are going to magically turn into shorts for the summer....mostly cause I don't know how to repair anything. I won't patch knees, been there done that...just gotta figure out this seam thing. Clothes are so much harder than quilts!

Most of those double needle looking hems were put in with a Serger using the chain stitch, which is what finishes sweatshirts, T shirts, and yes slacks hems. I'd bet that is the way the hem was done -- it is a one step process, very fast and clean -- not with a double needle. Unless, the commercial machines do the same thing? I know nothing about commercial machines, but if you had a Serger you could finish those hems with a very professional look.

Nancy

Yes--a coverstitch machine. You can achieve a similar result with a double needle and a zigzag machine. You CANNOT do that with a SS only machine. There is NO SPACE in the needle plate for two needles.

Miz Johnny 04-29-2011 01:13 PM

This is so cool!! I hate to sound dumb, but (1) did you have to disconnect the motor, (2) why is the back plate off and (3) does the cord rub on the bobbin winder??

Miz Johnny 04-29-2011 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
quilter2theend asked me to post a photo of my ruffler attachment, attached to the machine. Here you go, quilter2theend:

Cool looking ruffler!! My mother had a machine set up that she left the ruffler on all of the time. It was in her bathroom--nice and warm in the winter!!

sew wishful 04-29-2011 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Here you go....I have a couple more I'll send.

Randa, do you know who made that machine and what year it is made?

There is a Damascus Grand rotary machine sold by Montgomery Wards and made by the National Sewing Machine Company. The Damascus had very ornate decals, but the throat plate, bobbin plate look the same as your machine. Was it made for Montgomery Wards? Cute machine, I sometimes wonder, though, why so many companies jumped on that Godzilla finish? It seems all the different companies made those! Thanks for posting a picture!

Nancy

That is interesting, I see that Monica posted that your Grand Rotary looks alot like the Graybar she has. Since, National made sewing machines for Western Electric for two years before Graybar split off to form the Graybar Company - I wonder if it was made by National? I think that Godzilla finish happened earlier than the 1940's. Does anyone have a Godzilla type machine earlier than 1940's?

Actually, my White with the Black Crinkle Embossed finish is from 1931.

Where would I even find that information? (Is Monica RedbugSullivan?? She sure was a great help to me!)

BoJangles 04-29-2011 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by misseva
I have this sewing machine that had LaRaine on it but when I started cleaning it there was a Honeymoon decal underneath. The shuttle has Davis on it. Anyone seen or heard of one like it?

Misseva, yes Davis has a treadle called the 'Honeymoon.' What I don't understand is why it says 'LaRaine' until you cleaned it up and now it says 'Honeymoon?' Am I reading this right? You started cleaning up your 'LaRaine' treadle only to find the silver looking decals turned to red and now the machine says 'Honeymoon?' The true 'Honeymoon' style that Davis made does have the same reddish looking decals. That is definitely a Davis machine, but I don't understand why it said 'LaRaine' and now Honeymoon unless I am not understanding what you are talking about?
I think everyone on here is waiting for someone else to answer this puzzle as it is very confusing, actually a little mind boggling to me?

Nancy