Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

olebat 07-17-2011 06:28 PM

How to control my enthusiasm? Halfway across the country from home, attending a convention, and I see a Facebook message from a friend who lives another several states away. While drifting through a neighbors yard sale, she spies an antique White in cabinet with all sorts of accessories. She gave it to my friend. Now to get it to me . . . Next weekend perhaps - Christmas in July.

Lostn51 07-17-2011 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor

Originally Posted by Lostn51
CL is trouble for me also. There were like 5 or 6 nice machines in my area for $20 each and and industrial for $55. Needless to say they're all here in my garage...................

Billy

Gee Billy, I don't feel so bad now! I only got one new one this week.

Texas Jan

Craigslist is trouble for me, also, but I love looking through the ads. I've found some really good deals but I have to laugh at some of the pictures that they post. Why on earth do so many post dark pictures of the 'back' of the sewing machines? Is it possible that they don't know the front from the back?

BTW....Yesterday, I brought home a brown lotus (decal) model 66 in a treadle cabinet, that I saw on CL. Both of them will be my guinea pigs in learning how to clean up a frozen machine and refinishing a cabinet. I've already learned a lot just by taking the top of the cabinet off of the treadle base, and removing the drawers and the dust panel on the underneath of the cabinet top.

I know or they will just take a picture of the cabinet and you have to use the force to figure out what is there. But it really kills me when they have a clapped out 27 in a ratty treadle and say its worth way more than they are asking or on ebay they want $xxxxx for them and they are asking $600+ for them. :shock: :roll:

But I did call about two more on CL tonite I am going to go pick up tomorrow.

Billy

Lostn51 07-17-2011 06:44 PM

Here is a perfect example........

for sale is a solid wood white company sewing machine that still works i have seen ones similar going for 700 plus i am asking 300 obo because i know mine need to be refinished but over all in amazing condition and in working order this one has the cabinet in the front and the sewing machine folds up into it for hiding and it can become a desk i really want this to go to someone who will appreciate it

Billy

AbbyQuilts 07-17-2011 06:50 PM

Here is a perfect example........

for sale is a solid wood white company sewing machine that still works i have seen ones similar going for 700 plus i am asking 300 obo because i know mine need to be refinished but over all in amazing condition and in working order this one has the cabinet in the front and the sewing machine folds up into it for hiding and it can become a desk i really want this to go to someone who will appreciate it

Billy

I love that they want it to go to someone that appreciates it but it can be a desk too lol

SewExtremeSeams 07-17-2011 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor

CL is trouble for me also. There were like 5 or 6 nice machines in my area for $20 each and and industrial for $55. Needless to say they're all here in my garage...................

Billy

Gee Billy, I don't feel so bad now! I only got one new one this week.

Texas Jan

Craigslist is trouble for me, also, but I love looking through the ads. I've found some really good deals but I have to laugh at some of the pictures that they post. Why on earth do so many post dark pictures of the 'back' of the sewing machines? Is it possible that they don't know the front from the back?

Cathy, I have wondered the same thing... I never thought they might not know the difference between the front and the back. I have wondered why they don't at least dust the thing off sometimes.

:lol:

Nanamoms 07-17-2011 06:52 PM

I went on a nice long 70+ mile bicycle ride in the back country today and I saw several sewing machines and treadles in the mix. I was not able to stop to see them because the shops were closed for the day but plan on going back to look. I even found a 1955 Pontiac Station Wagon I might try to buy, it was complete and looked like it might would run!

Billy

Oh, Billy, you're going to have to buy that Station Wagon to bring home your goodies!! LOL

Nanamoms 07-17-2011 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett

Originally Posted by tomilu
You have to look at this wonderful eye candy that was posted on Treadleon.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...07077835EjdpGN

Oh how pretty! I have one hanging around here (no clue when or where I got it). The only bits of decoration left are a few little red dots that look like the might have been flowers once, plus no shuttle, bobbin, or front slide plate.

There is one just like it...in the treadle...sitting at my local sewing machine shop. I left a message for him to call me about it but haven't heard from him yet. (His father who was in business with him had passed away and he was away from the shop.) I'm going to stop by there this week and see if he's back. ~~sigh~~

irishrose 07-17-2011 07:06 PM

Speaking of CL, You Two Spools fans might want to look at this. http://nmi.craigslist.org/atq/2436671600.html

buslady 07-17-2011 07:10 PM

I posted a quiry on pg 1325 that seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle. If anyone can help me with it, I would be very grateful.

buslady 07-17-2011 07:17 PM

You ARE an enabler, I emailed her. Spent day working on my 1896 industrial, almost done, the table is great, can't wait to share pics.