Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

kwendt 02-07-2011 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Okay I think I found another sewing machine (as if I need more) but I will go look at it tomorrow and see if it is what I think it is. ;-)
Billy

Billy you are not going to be in the bathroom like me are you? Glenn

No, he's going to be like me... in the doghouse!

kwendt 02-07-2011 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Are you getting a mess of thread on the underside of your fabric?

In the book "The Featherweight 221 and I" by Dave McCallum he says that if the machine was recently cleaned and the throat plate removed to clean the dust bunnies from under it, then sometimes the bobbin case "finger" is not in the little slot that it has to be in before putting the throat plate back on.

The other thing that he mentions is that if the machine has not been cleaned then it could be packed with dust bunnies, causing missed stitches and can also cause the thread to form birds nests.

Useful book there. I haven't tried my 15-91 yet, still working on the cabinet... but I'll remember this just in case. Yet another "note" for my VSMS journal! Thanks.

chris_quilts 02-07-2011 04:29 PM

Luv2learn;

That is a 99 according to Singer and not a 15. IF you want a 15, this might help you with your choices. It was a batch of 15000 and born on June 26, 1928.

Lostn51 02-07-2011 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by luv2learn
I have located and only seen photos of this machine. SN AC209505, says it has alloted date 1928, .
CAN IT BE TURNED INTO A HAND CRANK? i/M REALLY WANTING A NICE SINGER 15, if I'm limited to only 2 or 3 more, which would be best to get. . I want to actually use mine, not just collect them. . . YET! ! ! ! !

I am going to try to attach photos, but would like to know from you knowledgeable folk. . . asking price $100., he says it runs good, (I don't know if it SEWS). Photo looks like nice machine, a little rough bentwood case. What'cha think? Any cautions or addit'l info I need to ask about?

Can't do photos.
I guess I don't know how to attach photos at the spot. But would be glad for any help. Thanx luv2learn

That is a nice looking 99!!! But it is a little pricey but not far off if it was already rewired. I have a tute on rewiring one just like that in here somewhere.

Billy

luv2learn 02-07-2011 04:40 PM

Billy, I was feeling like it is a bit pricey too. Can it be made into a hand crank, and if so what would I have to get to do so? And how do these compare to a model 15?

Thanx for helping me. Brenda

Lostn51 02-07-2011 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by luv2learn
Billy, I was feeling like it is a bit pricey too. Can it be made into a hand crank, and if so what would I have to get to do so? And how do these compare to a model 15?

Thanx for helping me. Brenda

Nothing like a 15 but it is a baby 66. It has the drop in bobbins and it is a 3/4 machine. Yes it can be made into a hand crank but you need a spoked handwheel off of a 66 or an early 99 to work. I might be getting a few of those in next week. I am looking a lot of machines tomorrow and I will more than likely buy them all and there are a few of the 66's in there with spoked handwheels.

Billy

Shemjo 02-07-2011 04:45 PM

I was cleaning out a closet and found a coffin top case! I opened it and it is a 99 from 1924. I haven't plugged it in yet, but if memory served it has been in the clset for about 25 years, so I figure it needs a good clean before I take her for a spin. She looks like the previously posted machine, but the case is in good shape, and has been rewired. I am excited about my find here in my own house! Who knew?

Lostn51 02-07-2011 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Shemjo
I was cleaning out a closet and found a coffin top case! I opened it and it is a 99 from 1924. I haven't plugged it in yet, but if memory served it has been in the clset for about 25 years, so I figure it needs a good clean before I take her for a spin. She looks like the previously posted machine, but the case is in good shape, and has been rewired. I am excited about my find here in my own house! Who knew?

Maybe I need to start going through my closets again and see if I have anything hiding in them........ :-P Congratulations on the find!!!!

Billy

luv2learn 02-07-2011 04:48 PM

Chris, thanx for your input. . I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear on what I was asking. This is what I meant....

This 99 looks nice, but on my wish list I would also very much like to have a model 15 . . . If I could only get one or the other right now, is this such a good buy to not pass up??

Thanx, luv2learn

kwendt 02-07-2011 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Hey all you quilters working on sewing machine cabinets I have posted a tut on refinishing them using shellac since that is what is on the old vintage and antique treadles and other cabinets with age.

If you want to restore instead of refinishing we will tackle this as need arises to repair a bad spot. This tut will be never ending because there are so many types of repair so will handle this by your questions as they come up. Glenn

Thanks Glenn... um for the record, just like I'm sure Glenn does... I use a VOC removing cartridge respirator mask or a R95/99 paper mask as necessary for sanding, refinishing, spraying, etc. All done either outside, or in a very well ventilated shop/room area. I would recommend that anyone doing anything like sanding/refinishing read up on which masks to use and when. They are not all 'created equal'. Safety first. Some of my more esoteric forge work also requires a mask for certain things - particulate or vapor. Since I demonstrate 18th century forgework using coal, starting up the forge with bt coal is a nasty, smoky process. Even though I do it quickly, I still don't want that stuff in my lungs. Use a mask.