Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

vintagemotif 02-01-2011 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Nancy - that is a beautiful machine & cabinet. Makes me want a treadle...maybe.

Once you go treadle you will never want another machine!!

Billy

I agree! You must give it a try.

tjradj 02-01-2011 09:33 PM

Here in SW Ontario, we're "battening down the hatches" for the big storm. Of course, I started quilting and realized I was OUT of black thread, so I made a hasty trip to the fabric store. If I'm going to be snowed in for a couple of days, I want to be able to quilt!
But I digress.
I have a drawer to a treadle cabinet that I received with my Eastman cabinet. It doesn't belong to the Eastman, and it needs a new corner. The rest of it is pretty good. If anyone has need of it, just PM me and we'll figure out how to get it to you.
I've posted pics on the Members Buy and Sell page.

vintagemotif 02-01-2011 09:39 PM

Nancy,
Your Free No.5 is beautiful! I have the same Free and treadle. I believe my treadle was in that style cabinet, but the person giving away my Free tossed the cabinet since it was all damaged. My treadle has a crack in irons and the pitman rod is missing the balls. One day I will fix that. I just love the decals on the Free No. 5.
Very NICE! Also enjoy that treadle in your sewing room.

QuiltnCowgirl 02-01-2011 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Billy

Wish I knew someone with one so I could take it for a "test drive".

kwendt 02-01-2011 09:45 PM

[quote=vintagemotif]

Originally Posted by kwendt

Better than lifting weights![/quote

ROTF!!! Actually... I just hefted my 90 lb anvil into the back of my Jetta last week, to get to a local blacksmith meet. I gotta tell you... it takes me two arms for that.. but I can one handedly sling my 15-91 around without a problem. Did I ever mention that my right arm is bigger than my left? yup. That's me. I don't do pink and ruffles... I do do hammers and tongs. I love all things mechanical...

You can lift a 90 lb anvil....and there is such a thing as a blacksmith meet? Way cool! So, what do you make? you could make pretty hinges for sewing machine cabinets....just picturing beautiful vintage hinges for doors.

90 lbs is light. It's my traveling farriers anvil. You pick such a thing up with your forearms, not your hands. Hug it to your chest and it's easy as can be. I can't move the shop anvil by myself.. it's 250lbs. I can, though, tip it over... ask me how I know. :lol:

Re: are there still blacksmiths? Actually yes. I'm a member of FABA, the Florida Artist Blacksmith Assoc. We are an affiliate of sorts with ABANA, the national blacksmith org. We have meetings all over the state of Florida. On any given saturday, there's usually a meet somewhere, doing something. There are many state and local chapters of ABANA throughout the US. Check your home state... you'd be surprised.

My specialty happens to be 18 and 19th century decorative colonial ironwork - candle holders, latches, musket ram rods, fireplace cranes, hooks, triangles, tools, curtain rods, carved animals heads and the like. I am an apprentice in the art, so it's simple stuff for me most of the time. I made a pennyfoot, three branch, black iron and copper bound unity candle holder for my wedding. :mrgreen: once I did a 4' long, fish tailed/pineapple twist broom stick out of 1" square stock. (no, it's NOT my ride!)

Yes, I could make pretty hinges for a sewing cabinet, but I don't work in cast and I don't usually work in copper or brass - other than as brushed or wired accents. Since I'm a hobbiest, I don't actually get the chance to pound much. I'm the only chick I know that will come to a screeching halt when I see a pile of rusted junk in the roadside trash. Truck springs, old files, tractor bearings.... all very useful! The files make awesome large utility knives and the springs make great tools.

Now, since I've been edu-ma-kated by all y'all, I would come to a screeching halt if I saw an OLD SEWING machine by the side of the road..... hey... a girl can dream!

kwendt 02-01-2011 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by BZ quilting
Wow, you'll have one like mine. Hope yours has the knob to stop the needle from going up and down, mine is missing and I have been unable to find one.

I will have to look but I think this one is complete it had all of its accessories and everything. And I got it for $40!!

Billy

Holy, stinking cow.... $40? You can't touch a treadle down here for less than $200... and there's a redeye in a thrift store with a $600 tag on it! Even the 201s, 15's, 66s go for $150. It's hard to find any old machine, especially singers, for less than $100. Saw a Minnesota and a Free both going for a couple hundred each.

vintagemotif 02-01-2011 10:02 PM

[quote=kwendt][quote=vintagemotif][quote=kwendt][quote=vintagemotif

Now, since I've been edu-ma-kated by all y'all, I would come to a screeching halt if I saw an OLD SEWING machine by the side of the road..... hey... a girl can dream![/quote]

That is AWESOME! I learned something new today. Thanks!

vintagemotif 02-01-2011 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt

Originally Posted by BZ quilting
Wow, you'll have one like mine. Hope yours has the knob to stop the needle from going up and down, mine is missing and I have been unable to find one.

I will have to look but I think this one is complete it had all of its accessories and everything. And I got it for $40!!

Billy

Holy, stinking cow.... $40? You can't touch a treadle down here for less than $200... and there's a redeye in a thrift store with a $600 tag on it! Even the 201s, 15's, 66s go for $150. It's hard to find any old machine, especially singers, for less than $100. Saw a Minnesota and a Free both going for a couple hundred each.

I saw two free Redeyes on CLs yesterday morning, by evening they were gone. Just keep looking on CL, they will show up for cheap.

vintagemotif 02-01-2011 10:07 PM

Billy

Wish I knew someone with one so I could take it for a "test drive".

Where do you live? Sometimes I see free treadles listed on CL in the Bay Area. You could always pick one up for free or cheap.

purplefiend 02-01-2011 11:18 PM

Nancy,
Your Free treadle and cabinet are just gorgeous! I haven't seen one with such pretty and intact decals before. :mrgreen:
One of my Singer treadles is powered by a set of Elgin irons made by The Free Company, they sit on top of a Singer coffin top table.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...45965719ZYGmCi
Sharon W.