Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

bemoreonline 04-21-2011 01:27 PM

Is someone looking for an Egyptian TREADLE?
Found this notice in Craigslist
" Singer Treadle machine, very clean, Egyptian Design graphics in good shape for the age. The Egyptian model very sought after. Just the head on E-Bay goes for more than I am asking. No attachments. Call for more info. Jim 530 906-4200 $125.00 I have 4 more of these machines. "
Also posted this in Main with a couple of pictures !

SewExtremeSeams 04-21-2011 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
However I looked at Craigslist today and in the Free catagory was listed 2 singers. One is a Spartan 192k and the other one is described as in a small cute table. Yeah those are being picked up on my way home from work tonight. I will not look at any more ads. (At least til Monday.) I am running out of room.

I think it is a very good thing that you have work, to earn the $$, to bring an endless amount of machines home with you after you get off work!!!!!

Don't ya love CL? We buy and sell everything on there. Happy shopping after Easter. :-D

Kathie S. 04-21-2011 02:18 PM

I need some help big time. My tension is really bad. The top thread bird nested under neath. I took the machine in to the shop and they adjusted the tension and had a very nice stitch. I came home and the stitch turned bad. The fabric is gathering. When I straighten it out the bobbin thread is laying on the fabric and the top thread is showing a small loop. Any suggestions would be helpful. Kathie

dirty1mom 04-21-2011 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme

However I looked at Craigslist today and in the Free catagory was listed 2 singers. One is a Spartan 192k and the other one is described as in a small cute table. Yeah those are being picked up on my way home from work tonight. I will not look at any more ads. (At least til Monday.) I am running out of room.

I think it is a very good thing that you have work, to earn the $$, to bring an endless amount of machines home with you after you get off work!!!!!

Don't ya love CL? We buy and sell everything on there. Happy shopping after Easter. :-D

Yes, I work. But don't really make that much. I just got some really good deals lately! And yes, I like CL, but I like Freecycle better! LOL!

dirty1mom 04-21-2011 03:47 PM

The two machines I just brought home are rough. The Spartan is missing it's thread plate and the wiring is scary looking. I can't find a serial number on it. The Singer in the cabinet has a serial number underneath the machine bed, G049713. I think I am either looking it up wrong on singer site or that is not really the serial number. Where else should I look?

hobbykat1955 04-21-2011 03:57 PM

Well I found class 66 bobbins today at Joann's for my " 1910 redeye". Unfortunately couldn't wind them on the 1910 the bobbin hole is a bit too small but fit on the 301 to wind. The other day I spent most of the day oiling and cleaning her.
Got her all threaded up and the thread kept coming out of the needle, happened several times...I decided to ck the book to find out that you thread her from the left side not right side of the needle..
Got her going a bit of knocking, put a bit more oil underneath where it was coming from and WA LA...quiet, smooth and really nice to sew with.
You ladies are right abt these vintage machines what a diff in sewing and sound. Thanks for convincing me to go out and hunt and buy...
OH and I love my 301..Can't wait to get a 1/4 inch foot, walking foot and a darning foot for free motion.

One question. Does anyone have a bobbin winder that they sell now...would that work for these vintage singer bobbins we are using in these machines

Lostn51 04-21-2011 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I need some help big time. My tension is really bad. The top thread bird nested under neath. I took the machine in to the shop and they adjusted the tension and had a very nice stitch. I came home and the stitch turned bad. The fabric is gathering. When I straighten it out the bobbin thread is laying on the fabric and the top thread is showing a small loop. Any suggestions would be helpful. Kathie

Kathie it sounds like it needs to be adjusted a bit. The top tension needs to match the bottom tension. With it gathering like it is tells me that the thread path has an issue somewhere. maybe it jumped out of the tensioner or the spring is not positioned right. Then play with the top tension to match the bottom. You might need to tighten the bottom tension a bit also depending on whats going on there.

It is something really simple and we just need to figure it out.

Billy

HanNatNana 04-21-2011 04:32 PM

Do you think if you opened the side of the cabinet and installed the knee-lever where it belongs, then maybe the machine would actually work?

Oh that is just soooo funny, thanks for the laugh!!!

One of the machines I was given recently had a similar story behind it...the lady said it didn't work but I could have it for the additional feet (hey, it only had ONE foot!!) anyway when I got it home and removed the carry case it was so obvious why the machine wouldn't work....the needle was bent at almost a right angle!! Fitted a new needle, turned the handwheel and everything appeared OK, so plugged it in and tried the motor. Not a thing wrong, tension didn't even need adjusting.

Makes me wonder 'how' many machines are given away/stored in the back of a cupboard/sold/etc because the owner knows zilch about the machine and the really simple thing that is causing it not to work??

Bronwyn ;-)

emmah 04-21-2011 05:03 PM

I am not sure the Spartans have a serial number, I have never found one on mine. Anyone else know? But they are a great little machine!

sewgram1 04-21-2011 05:18 PM

Does anyone know when the Willcox & Gibbs first received
a moter. Mine does not have one and works with a treadal. If an one knows about this please let me know.