Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

BoJangles 05-23-2011 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
But, LOL, we don't at this point allow guys --
Nancy did you forget that we had Tom come twice. :lol: For Billy we would make an exception to any rule that says no men. Matter of fact we might even fight over who gets to sit by him.

No fighting! I get dibs as I have been in this group longer!
I remember Tom in classes, but not at Girls Night Out?

Nancy

Kathie S. 05-23-2011 05:51 AM

Tom was there twice just before our Alaska sewing cruise. Kathie

Lostn51 05-23-2011 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Nancy I enjoyed seeing your new Kenmore last night. I was very impressed with your patience while working on the FW.
Maybe one night you can show us all how to clean and oil our machines as you are the best. Kathie

Kathie, you know how to clean and oil those machines! I love getting the old girls up and running! That FW had really been neglected/abused! Getting all that thread out of there and seeing it sew perfect is very rewarding!

Billy we would love to have you come to 'Girls Night Out,' but we'd have to rename it 'Girls/Guys Night Out! We do have a lot of fun with all the different machines and different projects -- and FOOD! But, LOL, we don't at this point allow guys -- we girls get pretty crazy sometimes! Wow, it would be a hoot if you came, though!

Nancy

I might have to drop by one of these days and surprise you all! Its not like I wont be in the neighborhood in a way, I have a date in SoCal to go machine hunting. :D

Billy

greenini 05-23-2011 05:58 AM

Folks, question for FW'ers. My light jiggles and will go off if it's hit, will then come back on if it's rejiggled. How much of a job is it to make it right? And could I ask you to walk me thru it?

Also, my decals have faded, is there something to brighten them up or is replacement the only option?
Thanks in advance.

Lostn51 05-23-2011 06:04 AM

But, LOL, we don't at this point allow guys --Nancy

For Billy we would make an exception to any rule that says no men. Matter of fact we might even fight over who gets to sit by him. :lol: Lets not fight We will save a three seats and he can sit in the middle of both of us. I have two or three machines that he can work on. I am sure that Loretta can come up with a few also, how about you? Maybe a dozen or two. Still want to come Billy? lol Kathie

Do you know how long it has been since I have had women fighting over me? Okay maybe last week at the grocery but that doesnt really count does it? I promise if I come everyone will get to sit by me. This almost feels like "The Bachelor" in a way.

Oh how I love being one of a few male quilters!! :mrgreen:

Billy

Deara 05-23-2011 06:07 AM

When we acquired the 301, it was missing a few parts. (The bobbin case base, gib & gib screw, the bobbin case, needle plate and the bottom tray cover)

We bought a whole hook assembly, bobbin case, needle plate and the bottom tray.

Just from reading this thread and all the FW questions & answered posted, I learned that the hook assembly and the bobbin case needed to be inserted a certain way for proper operation.

The 301 and the FW have interchangeable hook assemblies and bobbin cases and the needle plates as well are the same.

I did make one phone call to learn the placement of the hook assembly on the shaft.
It has to be exact or the needle hits.
First try and it hit.
The second attempt (with a prayer first), the hook assembly sat on the shaft exactly where it was suppose to.
The bobbin case was next, and the needle plate was placed over the bobbin case with the arm at the 12 o'clock position.
That is the part I learned here on the board, that the bobbin case needs to be set in a certain way for it to work.

I have gained confidence after working on the 301, I feel like I can attempt anything with our vintage machines.

I so love all the info and pictures and the family news shared here.

We are a family and I am most blessed to be a part of this great family with all the knowledge, wisdom and advice that is shared so freely.

I want to thank Billy again for starting this thread and for all those who contribute with their hands on knowledge, and also the ones who post the questions so we will continue to learn.

Sorry this is so long.
I know there are others out there just itching to jump into their machines and make them work or work better.
You can do it.
If I could, you can.

Blessings,
Sandi

MarieM 05-23-2011 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I wish I could go on a "Girls night out".......... :mrgreen:

Billy

Billy (and anyone else), we have one here in MT you can come to. We meet every Friday at our LQS. We have 3 of us on FW, the rest use "modern" machines but all are welcome. Although the shop owner sells Pfaff and Janome she also likes vintage machines. We have lots and lots of fun and laugh till our faces hurt.

If any of you are ever in the area send me a PM and I can give you details.

Lostn51 05-23-2011 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Deara
When we acquired the 301, it was missing a few parts. (The bobbin case base, gib & gib screw, the bobbin case, needle plate and the bottom tray cover)

We bought a whole hook assembly, bobbin case, needle plate and the bottom tray.

Just from reading this thread and all the FW questions & answered posted, I learned that the hook assembly and the bobbin case needed to be inserted a certain way for proper operation.

The 301 and the FW have interchangeable hook assemblies and bobbin cases and the needle plates as well are the same.

I did make one phone call to learn the placement of the hook assembly on the shaft.
It has to be exact or the needle hits.
First try and it hit.
The second attempt (with a prayer first), the hook assembly sat on the shaft exactly where it was suppose to.
The bobbin case was next, and the needle plate was placed over the bobbin case with the arm at the 12 o'clock position.
That is the part I learned here on the board, that the bobbin case needs to be set in a certain way for it to work.

I have gained confidence after working on the 301, I feel like I can attempt anything with our vintage machines.

I so love all the info and pictures and the family news shared here.

We are a family and I am most blessed to be a part of this great family with all the knowledge, wisdom and advice that is shared so freely.

I want to thank Billy again for starting this thread and for all those who contribute with their hands on knowledge, and also the ones who post the questions so we will continue to learn.

Sorry this is so long.
I know there are others out there just itching to jump into their machines and make them work or work better.
You can do it.
If I could, you can.

Blessings,
Sandi

See how much fun it is fixing your own machine? I am so glad you were able to fix it and you have the confidence to tear into the next project! And if it were not for everyone here this shop would be an old dusty store and not the hopping place that it is today!!

Billy

lyndajean 05-23-2011 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Nancy I enjoyed seeing your new Kenmore last night. I was very impressed with your patience while working on the FW.
Maybe one night you can show us all how to clean and oil our machines as you are the best. Kathie

Kathie, you know how to clean and oil those machines! I love getting the old girls up and running! That FW had really been neglected/abused! Getting all that thread out of there and seeing it sew perfect is very rewarding!

Billy we would love to have you come to 'Girls Night Out,' but we'd have to rename it 'Girls/Guys Night Out! We do have a lot of fun with all the different machines and different projects -- and FOOD! But, LOL, we don't at this point allow guys -- we girls get pretty crazy sometimes! Wow, it would be a hoot if you came, though!

Nancy

I might have to drop by one of these days and surprise you all! Its not like I wont be in the neighborhood in a way, I have a date in SoCal to go machine hunting. :D

Billy

I'm jealous way over here on the east coast!! :mrgreen:

QuilterGary 05-23-2011 06:42 AM

I had a nice visit with a retired Singer sewing machine repairman Sat. We talked about all of the good old machines. I told him that I just picked up a 201-2 in the dark art deco cabinet and a 15-91 in the blond art deco cabinet. He went on and on about the 201-2 being the best machine ever made. It is a keeper. Latter in the day I was at a LQS for some parts and he said the same thing about the 201-2. I might let the 15-91 get adopted out when I get it cleaned up. He also said on the newer singers up thru the model 620 was good machine or at least some of the early 600's. Just opion don't kill the messager.