Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Lostn51 05-20-2010 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Billy with your tutes we are all going to have great machines. Get busy on that cleaning one so I can quit looking at CL.

Another find? Its so cute. I saw and cleaned up one on ebay awhile back.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/atq/1744540786.html

Lisa that is a Singer 20 toy machine. Not in too bad of condition but you can find better. If you want to restore a toy then this would be the one to get. It looks like all it really needs is a good cleaning and replate the nickel parts.

Billy

Lostn51 05-20-2010 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
I found one!!!

Today my DD & I stopped at one of the antique stores in town and there she was. She has been used and abused but I see a beauty in her. She is a Singer treadle, #27-4, #D1283866, and she came with original manual and attachment booklets, and several attachments, plus cabinet. I took oodles of pics before I broke her down (as much as possible some of the screws are frozen), and willl go to town tom. to get a few things Billy recommended to clean her.

They had a $75 price on her and as I walked over to the clerk, she said she was on sale and I could have her for $50. I said sold! I probably could have gotten her a bit cheaper, but there were other women eying her.

Good score!! and just think you are going to save an otherwise worthless side table!!! Oh how I hate to refinish furniture, but I think if you hit it with paint stripper first and get the paint off of it you will have a better chance at getting it back to where you want it.

The machine is going to look pretty nice after a good cleaning and oiling. The bobbin winder looks like it will give you fits but you can overcome it by using a penetrating oil, kerosene and lots of elbow grease!!

Congratulations on the wonderful acquisition!!!!

Billy

Lostn51 05-20-2010 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by SherriB
I bought another vintage machine from Craigslist yesterday for $75. It works wonderfully and is in excellent condition. The only thing missing is the bobbin holder and bobbins. And I may have found replacements, but not sure. The serial number is:H131102.

I am running out of room in my home! LOL!!

Looks like you have the "Brown" version of the Lotus decals, quite rare to be honest with you. You need to be extremely careful when it comes time to clean and preserve the machine because with decal loos it means you have lost the varnish or shellac that was the clear over them.

But I love the machine and the cabinet it is in and it is a Model 66 in case you are wondering about that. You GS looks like he is having a ball playing with the machine and the drawers. You need to let him operate the treadle and sew with it one time. Boys love anything they can see working, trust me I know.......

Billy

SewExtremeSeams 05-20-2010 06:44 AM

wvdek, isn't it great when you don't have to even open your mouth and they drop the price. I went to buy a great old chair for $25 and was going to offer $15 but the lady said $1. :shock: Great find. Is your DD getting interested also? Fun to share with daughters.

You don't sound daunted by the amount of work to be done. Congratulations!

Lostn51 05-20-2010 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by SherriB
The serial number is:H131102.

Are you sure the serial is right? I think you might be missing a number.

Billy

SewExtremeSeams 05-20-2010 06:48 AM

Sherri, great grandson, he's a keeper for sure!

Wow, very nice cabinet and machine. I love the design on the cabinet. Enjoy. Watch out, it is getting catchy to have machines follow you home. :D

quilt addict 05-20-2010 07:18 AM

Sherri,

Lovely cabinet. I cannot seem to find such deals. I guess I need to be more selective.
Billy thanks for telling what the decals are. They are very nice too.

Girls like to see how things work too! Watch out for the future quilter there.

SherriB 05-20-2010 07:55 AM

Billy, I did leave off a number. The correct # is H1313102.

How do I go about finding a bobbin case? Do I use the model number or serial number? The machine also came with 2 extra and never used belt, one is skinny and the other if thicker.

I do hope one or both of my grandbabies will love sewing as much as I do. They both love to play with my scraps, so maybe there is hope. :D

SewExtremeSeams 05-20-2010 09:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I am looking at a Singer Industrial and waiting for info. Here is a photo from the site. Anyone know anything about these? :?: :?: I don't know if the manual is readable. It says 206K43

Asking $50 for this.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]70512[/ATTACH]

Melinda in Tulsa 05-20-2010 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Gerbie
WalMart and most stores that carry Old English and other cleanning supplies for dusting and furniture, usually carry Scotts Liquid Gold. ?White Gasoline is not the same as Kerosene. Kerosene at one time was used in oil lamps, and like someone else said, you could get it at a service station (gas station), but that was years ago. It is much safer to use than gasoline, but be sure you aren't inside where there might be a pilot light burning or any other flames, because it is flameable. The fumes from it should cause you to use it where there is plenty of ventilation

Lots of gas stations still carry Kerosene. People still use it in Kerosene heaters (including me). Last time I bought some it was around $4 a gallon. Much cheaper than lamp oil, which is the same thing, with coloring added.