Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Miz Johnny 03-12-2011 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by TacoMama
My friend has a vintage machine that her grandmother had and said was a Betsy Ross. Has anyone heard of that machine?

Yes--it's a toy machine.

vintagemotif 03-12-2011 10:18 AM

[quote=BoJangles]

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Wow Billy, I did not realize that Singer started making the 66 in 1902! That would explain why Kathie's 1909 is a side clamp and most everyone else on here with a 19teen something or very early 1920's machine has a back clamp.

How long did Singer make the 66?

Nancy

Nancy, I have one Singer 66-1 from 1914 made in Scotland with a back clamp. I also have a 1907 66-1 made in the States with a back clamp.

Hope this helps you.

vintagemotif 03-12-2011 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by buslady
I think Ive mentioned before that I own a little party store that i work in weekends. Well, today one of my regulars came in, he is an auctioneer. So I asked him if he ever saw any treadle cabinets, as i am looking for one. Low and behold he didnt, but he had a machine for sale. 10 min later i am the proud owner of a machine in a pristine domed case. I think it is a 27-4. it has a knee presser, made in Scotland 1923. Cant get any more info til i get to a better internet connection, but will be interested in information on this machine. it has several unfamiliar features. oh, got it for $25. Proof that these machines have a way of finding us! now all i want to do is take her home and enjoy! looking around the store trying to find a place to open a shop in a corner. LOL

Yes, the machines do have a way of finding us. Have fun with your new machine!

vintagemotif 03-12-2011 10:36 AM

[quote=cabbagepatchkid]

Originally Posted by buslady
It pays to talk to everyone you know about your interest in the vintage sewing machines. I got a Singer 99 in a Bentwood case (free!) from my dental hygienist, because we got to talking about quilting and vintage machines while she was working on my teeth.

Too funny! When my husband was at the dental hygienist last fall, he was telling her about my new hobby of collecting vintage machines. The next week when I went, she asked if I wanted the machine for free since she had rescued it from going into the trash. Next day it was mine. Yup, it pays to chat.

kwendt 03-12-2011 11:09 AM

vintagemotif, cabbagepatchkid, buslady....
Wow.. awesome finds. I hope the machines find us... they could start finding me anytime now... lol. If a nice 201 walked 'over to me'... I'd just about fall over. lol

Nice finds!

kwendt 03-12-2011 11:29 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Okay.... so back in JAN, a local thrift store had a 15 in a 42 cabinet with a "sold and paid" sign on it. However, the sign also said that the person was picking it up 12/23 (as in Dec. of 2010!). Short story... the person never came for it, I kept bugging them about it... and TODAY.... I brought it home. Paid $20 for it (thrift store got a total of $45 between the two of us! lol).

Turns out, it's a 15-91 in nice condition other than the electric cords all falling apart. And get this... it's blackside. The scroll face plate has the type of scroll like the featherweights (kinda celtic knotish looking) but it's black. It even had the straight stitch foot and the Singerlight in black. I LOVE it. Seems to turn over alright, bobbin case is in it, no rust, lots of grease/oil residue. Needs a good cleaning and all the electric redone.

Her AG379228 S/N shows she was part of the series from March 1942... a 'war' machine. A cool piece of history.

Okay everyone... what should I name my 'new' gal?

blackside 1942 15-91
[ATTACH=CONFIG]127566[/ATTACH]

blackside scroll face sorry it's blurry
[ATTACH=CONFIG]129543[/ATTACH]

side view - before cleaning!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]129544[/ATTACH]

BoJangles 03-12-2011 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Turns out, it's a 15-91 in nice condition other than the electric cords all falling apart. And get this... it's blackside. The scroll face plate has the type of scroll like the featherweights (kinda celtic knotish looking) but it's black. It even had the straight stitch foot and the Singerlight in black. I LOVE it. Seems to turn over alright, bobbin case is in it, no rust, lots of grease/oil residue. Needs a good cleaning and all the electric redone.

Her AG379228 S/N shows she was part of the series from March 1942... a 'war' machine. A cool piece of history.

Okay everyone... what should I name my 'new' gal?

What was the name of the person that did not get the machine? Maybe call her that? You will love this machine!

Nancy

BoJangles 03-12-2011 12:09 PM

Well, I got my first fiddle base this morning. I will post pictures later, my DH has the camera!

I am not sure what this machine is - it is from 1889, and I think it is a Model VS 2. It has the 'rose and cornflower' decal. I have another one to clean up and refinish the cabinet!!!!!!!

Anyway, I got a puzzle box and a second wooden box of attachments with odd's and ends in it, like a White bobbin and a W&W bobbin along with attachments.

I paid $65 for the whole thing - it is missing the coffin top.

Nancy

tgm sewing kitty 03-12-2011 12:13 PM

Oh gee that is a nice looking sm! Very nice! :)

buslady 03-12-2011 12:33 PM

Thanks Nancy &Cathie, I finally got on the dating site and find that the machine is actually a 99K. the decals are pristine, and the bentwood case is almost perfect. Even DH didn't gripe about this acquisition. LOL will post some pics soon.