Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Weedwoman 03-15-2011 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Although, as I am suffering from CRS, I won't remember it next time around, either.

Miz Johnny we love having you here! I am 4 pages behind so this may have been answered, but what is CRS?
Nancy

Can't remember stuff or another "s" word that's an synonym for stuff. Mine is galloping CRS by the way.

I love the CRS but I just tell ppl my memory is excellent, just not very long.........lol

HisPatchwork 03-15-2011 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

Originally Posted by nett2

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by nett2
This is my first time to try to post pics here but just gotta try so I can show ya'll they jewel I found yesterday. I've already named her Annabelle. From the best I can make out the serial # is G8459271 which I think makes her a 1910 model 15 Red eye. It has the singer swing away motor but I need a new rubber on the little wheel that touches the bigger wheel. The guy I bought her from said he thinks the contacts are bad in the foot pedal. DH can hardly wait to tinker with her but even if she never works properly she will be a beauty to look at once she's cleaned up.

That is really unique that it has a friction drive motor on the machine and it has the Singer badge on it. Normally you would have the belt driven motors on the machine since the handwheel has the provisions for it. Makes me think this was a "Dealer installed item".

Singer were first using electric motors on their machines in 1898.

Billy

You may be right Billy. On the wheel it looks like there's a place for one of the treadle belts but at the same time it's in a case that has a top that looks like a mailbox. Do the 66 models have a bobbin that drops in without a removeable case?
I was on a site last night that ask a lot of questions and according to the answers it told me it was a 1910 model 15 (I can't find the darn site again) but today I find a site for serial #'s that says it's a 1920 and maybe a 66. I also found a site that said the 15 wasn't made after 1898. How can a person know for sure what we have?
How do you change the stitch length?

This is definitely a 66. You change the stitch length by turning the knob on the pillar.

I was anxious to finish my 1st quilt top on my treadle, so I didn't stop to look at a manual. I finished it in a day {the one in my avatar} and thought to myself, "surely there must be some way to regulate the stitch length!" So, I went online and downloaded a manual. I found out that the knob on the pillar { I had just told my husband that day I had no idea what in the world that does...it doesn't seem to change anything! So I just tightened it back up.} is the stitch length adjuster. Loosen it and it shortens the stitch length, tighten it and it lengthens the stitch length. I had the length set as long as it would go! The end of each row will have to be tacked, but the rest will just have to stay like it is. LOL

olebat 03-15-2011 05:06 AM

Between fabric shopping, work and a cat nap here and there, I'v been playing with my (Domestic fiddle base, VS) treadle. Have, oiled, worked, oiled and worked countless times. Squeaks are all bout gone. Still don't have a front slide, and can't even budge the back slide. Will need a belt SOON. Now that I finally have a shuttle, trying to get it to sew. Having trouble with bottom thread nests. Followed directions, fairly certain the thread paths are correct, guess I'll spend the evening fiddling with tension.

On the funny side. While trying to adjust the old belt, was using the mint flavored dental floss. One of the helper katz really wanted that floss! I think it was like cat nip to her. I know cat nip is in the mint family, but I've never known her to pull the peppermint out of my tea. It was a difficult repair because of the mouth trying bite the floss as I sewed.

HisPatchwork 03-15-2011 05:12 AM

Nancy, your quilt is beautiful.

sewbizgirl 03-15-2011 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
I was anxious to finish my 1st quilt top on my treadle, so I didn't stop to look at a manual. I finished it in a day {the one in my avatar} and thought to myself, "surely there must be some way to regulate the stitch length!" So, I went online and downloaded a manual. I found out that the knob on the pillar { I had just told my husband that day I had no idea what in the world that does...it doesn't seem to change anything! So I just tightened it back up.} is the stitch length adjuster. Loosen it and it shortens the stitch length, tighten it and it lengthens the stitch length. I had the length set as long as it would go! The end of each row will have to be tacked, but the rest will just have to stay like it is. LOL

On mine, that knob was good and stuck, and it took quite a bit of working it and Liquid Wrench applications both outside and inside the tower, to get it freed up enough to turn. I just got it really moving again, yesterday. I couldn't believe it turns around about 6 or 7 revolutions! But it does indeed change the stitch length. I think the previous owner must have left it set at a small stitch and never changed it, as it was frozen solid-- moreso than anything else on the machine.

I also got out the ruffler last night, to play with it. Haven't tried out any of the machine's gadgets before. Dang if it didn't make a pretty awesome ruffle! I'm just in awe of how everything for these old Singers was made.

Love, love LOVE my 66-1... I could have stopped collecting right there, and been happy!

BoJangles 03-15-2011 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Pat Heinemann
Any one know of the New Seamstress machines? I found one at a antique store this weekend. They wanted $150 and it had attachments, but I am not sure they are all there. Very nice looking machine. Thanks Pat

Pat and everyone here look at this web site! I was trying to figure out what Pat has and found this web site -- man, this will make you all drool!

http://website.lineone.net/~lindave/other.htm

Nancy

BoJangles 03-15-2011 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Elsie Blight
l have been following this site for ever or since it started thank you every one l love the friendship and information l have aquired some machines but would love to find a black box 222k but living in Australia l don't know were to look but l am still trying Keep it up girls and guys
l will sent photo's but cannot work it out yet

Elsie, we would love to see your photo's! I have no idea where you can look for a 222 in Australia? You know they are on E-bay, but you will pay through your teeth for a 222! Why not look for a 221 or do you just have your heart set on the free arm version?

Nancy

Nancy

BoJangles 03-15-2011 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
They say it took three dumpsters to clean my basement out when I gave up my house. Thank God there was no SM stored there. I lost my ancient in a house fire.

Cherrybsixty, nice to have you back! What did you loose in a house fire?

Nancy

Weedwoman 03-15-2011 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by Pat Heinemann
Any one know of the New Seamstress machines? I found one at a antique store this weekend. They wanted $150 and it had attachments, but I am not sure they are all there. Very nice looking machine. Thanks Pat

Pat and everyone here look at this web site! I was trying to figure out what Pat has and found this web site -- man, this will make you all drool!

http://website.lineone.net/~lindave/other.htm

Great site, thanks for sharing.
Nancy

Deara 03-15-2011 08:09 AM

Nancy, your quilt is awesome.

I so enjoyed hearing how it was created, using the different vintage and antique machines.

That gives us all inspiration to use several of our vintage and antique machines to create a work of art as the previous owners of our machines did long ago.

Blessings,
Sandi