Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

BoJangles 03-21-2011 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Nancy,
I'd like it a whole lot better if it didn't have that clunky sound. :roll: Its okay otherwise. I've had a few different machines in this cabinet, the 201,15-90 and 237; it was my only treadle cabinet for 2 years(it was free). :-D
Sharon :-D

Sharon, I don't remember hearing a clunking sound when I use my treadle. In fact, it sits behind the sofa and I was treadling away a few nights ago while my husband and girl friend watched TV. They didn't seem to notice anything either other than the sewing machine stitching away.

Nancy

BoJangles 03-21-2011 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
I have never seen a ugly "Jones." All the ones I have seen are very ornate! Is your green Jones an original?

No--it is a very bad repaint. Billy didn't do it.

I knew it! I figured it was not an original paint job!

Nancy

BoJangles 03-21-2011 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
No, it's actually a "modern" one, probably 30's or 40's. The cabinet is very plain. The best thing about this one is it's larger-than-usual flywheel.

I also have a Free with wooden legs, and two smaller treadles--a Franklin and a National--with wooden legs.

So, I guess I better start paying attention! I have never seen a treadle with wooden legs!

Nancy

Kathie S. 03-21-2011 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by tomilu
From Dumpster to Diva - well almost! After 6 hours of cleaning, this Singer 15-88 in a #22 cabinet looks sooo much better. There 2 small holes through the veneer on the inside lid and the outside of the lid has bad plant rash.

Tommilu, I am very confused. I love your machine. You say it is a Singer 15. I saw one in the thrift store today and it looked liked yours except that the reverse plate said reverse. I noticed that your did not. the bos #is ah853654. I looked it up and the site says says it is a 66. I have a 66 and it looks nothing like this machine. I believe that store machine had a motor on it. Kathie

BoJangles 03-21-2011 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
Thanks Nancy for the information. I am not very knowledgeable about motors as the majority of the SM's I have are treadles. What are the difference between friction motor and other types?

A friction pulley motor has a little wheel that rests on the handwheel. When the motor is turned on that wheel turns the handwheel, which in turn runs the machine. A regular motor is usually gear driven or belt driven.

Nancy

purplefiend 03-21-2011 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Sharon, I don't remember hearing a clunking sound when I use my treadle. In fact, it sits behind the sofa and I was treadling away a few nights ago while my husband and girl friend watched TV. They didn't seem to notice anything either other than the sewing machine stitching away.

Nancy

Nancy,
The Singer coffin top treadle that sits in the living room is so quiet I can sew and nobody complains that they can't hear the TV and I can still talk to DH while I sew. :-D
I suspect that something is in need of adjustment for my straight leg cabinet to quieter.
Sharon W.

BoJangles 03-21-2011 05:19 PM

Next project: Necchi 230 with gosh awful green painted cabinet w/chair. This one may take a while as I have just got to get rid of that green paint. Then it will be for sale.

Tommie, that machine is a Pfaff? Necchi 230? I am confused again!

Nancy

tomilu 03-21-2011 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Next project: Necchi 230 with gosh awful green painted cabinet w/chair. This one may take a while as I have just got to get rid of that green paint. Then it will be for sale.

Tommie, that machine is a Pfaff? Necchi 230? I am confused again!

Nancy

Sorry, it is a Pfaff. Corrected post. Thanks.

Ann63 03-21-2011 05:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Do anyone know what model of Singer this is?

irishrose 03-21-2011 05:25 PM

I didn't realize Gardendale is in AL. (The pink Brother). My son is working in Huntsville. I guess I'd better go look at a map.