Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

sewbizgirl 03-21-2011 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Grandmother23

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I have an opportunity to buy a vintage Kenmore exactly like this one:
http://www.ecrater.com/p/8732598/sea...achine-vintage
only in a nice cabinet...

It looks like an exact clone of a Singer 15. This is the only Kenmore I have seen that looks like this. Does anyone know anything about this model machine? I couldn't find numbers on the machine, at all.

I have one like this. Does yours have an oblong D with a S in the D on the underneath? Mine also says DSM Made in Japan on the column. Mine didn't come with a case though. I couldn't find any numbers on this machine either. But it is a pretty little machine.

I don't have it yet but will look for that when I go look at it again (hopefully tomorrow...) Does yours sew pretty much like a Singer 15?

I've been wanting a Singer 15 and this clone is in so much better shape than any real 15s I've come across. Does anyone know how well the clones compare to the real thing? Billy, what do you think?

sewbizgirl 03-21-2011 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
New Project: White Rotary from around 1927. Crinkle finish with a knee control. Needs a spool pin and motor. Could anyone tell me where I might find either and what type of motor I need??
Thank you for any suggestions as I have been searching and feel like I am at a loss.... I am not even sure how to identify the Model Number. Maybe this one will have to go "As Is" to someone else. :oops:

It sure is cool-looking. Never saw a crinkle finish with all that embossing detail. Hope you can get it put together.

Miz Johnny 03-21-2011 06:17 PM

It looks like an exact clone of a Singer 15. This is the only Kenmore I have seen that looks like this. Does anyone know anything about this model machine? I couldn't find numbers on the machine, at all.

I have one like this. Does yours have an oblong D with a S in the D on the underneath? Mine also says DSM Made in Japan on the column. Mine didn't come with a case though. I couldn't find any numbers on this machine either. But it is a pretty little machine.

I don't have it yet but will look for that when I go look at it again (hopefully tomorrow...) Does yours sew pretty much like a Singer 15?

I've been wanting a Singer 15 and this clone is in so much better shape than any real 15s I've come across. Does anyone know how well the clones compare to the real thing? Billy, what do you think?

I'm not Billy, but the Japanese class 15 machines I've had have been wonderful--and I've had a lot of them!!

Miz Johnny 03-21-2011 06:18 PM

Nancy, thanks again for the insight to motors. I looked at the webshot website and found out that my machine was manufactured in 1930. Will go and search for the motor, a manual, spool pin and some bobbins.

Do you know if White Rotary's take a special size needle?

Judy

Standard 15 X 1 needle.

sew wishful 03-21-2011 06:22 PM

New Project: White Rotary from around 1927. Crinkle finish with a knee control. Needs a spool pin and motor. Could anyone tell me where I might find either and what type of motor I need??
Thank you for any suggestions as I have been searching and feel like I am at a loss.... I am not even sure how to identify the Model Number. Maybe this one will have to go "As Is" to someone else. :oops:

Wonder if this is a cousin or any relation to a Grand Rotary?? I love the scrolling image stamped into the metal. Wonder if you could crank this one? Does the light plug in separately? I see the cord going down into the base of the machine. It's a beauty. Hope you get it running somehow.
What does the rest of the cabinet look like?

tomilu 03-21-2011 06:24 PM

Usually the 15-88 is a treadle, the potted motor type is a 15-91. Methinks someone swapped out some parts between the 2 machines.
Sharon W.[/quote]
I have asked the Singer knowledge base to help clarify the situation. I surely don't want to misrepresent this machine. I shall update when I know the answer. Thanks, Sharon for your question.

Miz Johnny 03-21-2011 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by luv2learn

Seriously, though I am amazed at how often you and Miz Johnny say I have a. . . . (fill in the blank) machine. . . . do you guys keep count of just HOW MANY machines you have as you add to your collections?. . .

NO!! I added a cute little New Home T-1 this week, though--badged "Duchess". I haven't taken a picture, but it looks just like this one on ebay--same decals:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-NEW-HOME...item1e624895a4

(Didn't someone here ask me some questions about a New Home T?? Didn't have one then, would be glad to answer now!)

No case top for mine, sadly. A lot cheaper, though, so it balances out. Also received my VS 3 I bought off ebay. I have the machine cleaned up, but not the case. Sent a couple of heads home with a GF this weekend to balance things out.

And yes, I have A LOT of machines. Incorrigible. Hmn. I'm just going to start saying they're my retirement account.

Kathie S. 03-21-2011 06:32 PM

You might look on the ISMACS site to help you with your 66.[/quote]

Tomilu, I checked the site out and found a machine that looked like the one at the thrift store. The site one is a 66k-6. The cabinet is different than the picture tho. Thank you for refering me to the site. Kathie

sewbizgirl 03-21-2011 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.

Originally Posted by tomilu
From Dumpster to Diva - well almost! After 6 hours of cleaning, this Singer 15-88 in a #22 cabinet looks sooo much better. There 2 small holes through the veneer on the inside lid and the outside of the lid has bad plant rash.

Tommilu, I am very confused. I love your machine. You say it is a Singer 15. I saw one in the thrift store today and it looked liked yours except that the reverse plate said reverse. I noticed that your did not. the bos #is ah853654. I looked it up and the site says says it is a 66. I have a 66 and it looks nothing like this machine. I believe that store machine had a motor on it. Kathie

Some of the later 66s had a reverse. By your serial number, it's a 1948, which is pretty late in the game for 66s...The way you can tell for sure if you are looking at a 66 or a 15 is that a 15 has the tension assembly sticking out of the faceplate, to the left of the machine. A 66 would have the tensioner sticking out of the front of the machine.

sewbizgirl 03-21-2011 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

I'm not Billy, but the Japanese class 15 machines I've had have been wonderful--and I've had a lot of them!!

Ooooh, I'm excited to hear that! Miz Johnny has 'enabled' me!