Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Grandmother23 03-17-2011 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by goosepoint
I have a stupid question = is a 'parlor' cabinet not necessary a good thing? I am use to seeing the beautiful traditonal cabinets with the drawers and one of these days I will acquire one. I am assuming that the parlor cabinet was favored because it was not obvious that it was a sewing machine. Would someone educate me a little please? I kind of like it not being quite so obvious.

I like the idea "of something different" and this is right up my alley. 8-)

Kitzone 03-17-2011 08:03 PM

Goosepoint~ I think Ms Ruby is a nice looking sewing machine and cabinet for sure. Can't wait to see your pictures after you bring her home (excuse the enabling comment)

Elsie can you post picture of your new machine or scan the front cover of your manuals. It might help us identify your machine or something similar... it sounds like a gem if you can embroidery with it : )

Miz Johnny: Can I "Rent to Own" your Friends??? It looks like my kind of evening. Hope you enjoy your company and weekend.

Judy

tomilu 03-17-2011 08:26 PM

I'd certainly travel 3 hrs to bring her home.

kwendt 03-17-2011 09:19 PM

Ms Ruby is looking for a new home. Her dad is asking $80 and I have a gut feeling that she is worth every penny. She works perfectly he says but she appears to be a little neglected. Any opinions are greatly appreciated before I commit to traveling 3 hours to rescue her.

I'd do it. Ruby looks great. There's a sew shop south of me that has one up for sale in the $300 to $400 range. Reconditioned by them, of course. Looks almost identical to this Ruby. Treadle and all. That cabinet is a beaut! For $80, it would be a 'steal' in my area of the country. :-D

vintagemotif 03-17-2011 11:26 PM

Hello Everyone - I have taken the plunge and bought my first vintage machine. 'Rachel' will be here next week. She is a vintage White Rotary and her case is pretty stunning.
But I wanted your opinion on another little orphan that is lurking at my door. Ms Ruby is looking for a new home. Check out her photos. Her dad is asking $80 and I have a gut feeling that she is worth every penny. She works perfectly he says but she appears to be a little neglected. Any opinions are greatly appreciated before I commit to traveling 3 hours to rescue her.

Nice Ruby and White! Have fun with them and happy treadling.

vintagemotif 03-17-2011 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Thought you all might like to see how my GFs and I are spending the first night of a long weekend!!

Heehee a rubber mallet?! Looks like fun! I do hope the machine now works. Thanks for sharing and have fun.

annesthreads 03-17-2011 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by sew wishful
You don't have a pic of your Mum's Husqy do you?? I have a Husqvarna, but not sure of it's date. I figure it's about mid 60's but would love to have a pic to compare it to.

I don't, but I'll gladly take one for you when I'm there next week. It's green, solid steel and does straight stitch and zigzag, if that's any help!

sew wishful 03-18-2011 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads

You don't have a pic of your Mum's Husqy do you?? I have a Husqvarna, but not sure of it's date. I figure it's about mid 60's but would love to have a pic to compare it to.

I don't, but I'll gladly take one for you when I'm there next week. It's green, solid steel and does straight stitch and zigzag, if that's any help!

It does help. Thanks! I'm anxiously awaiting pics!

annesthreads 03-18-2011 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads

It does help. Thanks! I'm anxiously awaiting pics!

I'll be seeing Mum on Monday, so will take my camera.

cabbagepatchkid 03-18-2011 03:56 AM

I have a stupid question = is a 'parlor' cabinet not necessary a good thing? I am use to seeing the beautiful traditonal cabinets with the drawers and one of these days I will acquire one. I am assuming that the parlor cabinet was favored because it was not obvious that it was a sewing machine. Would someone educate me a little please? I kind of like it not being quite so obvious.

I think, but not 100% sure, that, 'back in the day', the parlor cabinets were more expensive because they looked like furniture and less like a sewing machine, just as you thought. I have a parlor cabinet but I find it very heavy looking and I prefer the looks of the regular treadle cabinet....maybe because they look so old fashioned.