Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

quilter711 03-22-2011 05:25 PM

[quote=
Photo Update 1930 White Rotary: Here is a photo of the cabinet. [/quote]

What a beautiful cabinet :!: Great find :thumbup:

Enjoy & Happy Quilting,
Nancy

Jennifer22206 03-22-2011 05:25 PM

cross your fingers for me.. I just bid on a Singer 66-8 on Ebay.. auction ends in 35 minutes and I'm high bidder.. I really really want it.

nett2 03-22-2011 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Geez all the new machines everyone has gotten are fantastic, congratulations to all.

Yesterday was Hubby's b-day so he bought this little jem on e-bay. He oiled her up and cleaned her and now I am piecing a quilt with her.

That's like the one I got yesterday except mine is the 301A and I love it.

Elsie Blight 03-22-2011 05:49 PM

Could you please please tell me how to connect to Billies tutorial on cleaning and pulling apart the machine thank you in antisipation
Elsie
Australia

quilter711 03-22-2011 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Elsie Blight
Could you please please tell me how to connect to Billies tutorial on cleaning and pulling apart the machine thank you in antisipation
Elsie
Australia

Elsie, click on search at the top of the page, type in "cleaning vintage". You will find under tutorials, 3 seperate tutorials by Lostn51. You will have one beautiful machine after you are finished! Good luck!

Nancy

purplefiend 03-22-2011 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by olebat

Originally Posted by kwendt

Hi olebat.... if someone hasn't mentioned it. Billy has a tutorial on how to clean these old gals. He uses kerosene and the cleaner GoJo the NON-PUMICE kind. His tutorial is really good. There's one on dismantling and one on cleaning....

Thanks, I've seen the cabinet and guts cleaning, didn't recall the machine exterior. I'll have to wait a spell. I've hauled it in the house now. Will have to take it back outside if I use the kerosene. We're in the height of pine pollen season. The yellow dust clouds bellow everywhere. Just walking across the porch leaves footprints like walking on fresh snow. The pine pollen is large molecule, and even feels gritty. Wouldn't want that to become an abrasive. LOL

I recall pine pollen season very well! I used to live in Beaufort,SC and my red car looked orange that time of year.

sewbizgirl 03-22-2011 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
Although I am the Happy Treadler, I also do love any and all vintage machines. My SIL's dad called me last week to say he's got an old machine that he would really like to give me, and that if I don't take it will go to the curb. Of course I couldn't let that happen, so we had a rendezvous at the bus stop to meet (no, I didn't tell DH I was getting yet ANOTHER machine, allbeit free).

This is a picture of the machine, and I have to say I SO fell in love with it! I LOVE the color, LOVE the vertical bobbin that inserts from the FRONT (unlike the other vertical bobbins that go in on the side), and even though my intentions were to pass this one along, I have to say she's now home where she belongs. I really did need a machine with a "ZZ" capability & fancy stitches set up in my sewing room. She adds color to my sewing room, and is one of very few electric machines that are included in my 'herd'. She's a Japanese repo of the Singer 15 (called a Universal, and I just can't get over how well-built this machine is. AND she weighs a ton! Just needed to clean her up and give her a good drink (geez, she was so thirsty she squeaked!). Happy happy me. :)

GREAT! I love the look of it! I was just telling hubby today how much I love the vintage machines with the look of old car dashboards, and here's one! :thumbup:

Rumbols 03-22-2011 06:24 PM

Geez all the new machines everyone has gotten are fantastic, congratulations to all.
Yesterday was Hubby's b-day so he bought this little jem on e-bay. He oiled her up and cleaned her and now I am piecing a quilt with her.

Congrats and happy bd. I have a 401 coming that looks similar to yours. Enjoy.

purplefiend 03-22-2011 06:40 PM

I have a Singer 66-18 that I'd like to convert to a treadle machine, the wiring is shot. The covering on the wires is just falling off, so not using right now; too dangerous. I'm hoping I can swap the handwheel and bobbin winder from a
donor 66 machine.

irishrose 03-22-2011 06:55 PM

Okay, I'm about to show my ignorance. If a 1912 66 has no motor and the spoked hand wheel is large, is it likely a handcrank machine?