Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Miz Johnny 03-27-2011 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl

Originally Posted by chergram
hello I am looking for a singer feather weigh machine

. . . Another 3/4 size portable you may want to check out is the Singer 185J. It's a small, cute green little portable that straight stitches. Those can still be found for $100 or less. I just watched one go on Ebay for $41!

Good luck in your quest for a vintage Singer!

The 185J may be small and cute, but they're every bit as heavy as a 99.

Lostn51 03-27-2011 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by qltndog
Billy, you told someone that owned a FW not to use Liquid Gold on it but to use carnuba wax. I have seen waxes with carnuba wax but with other ingredients. What brand/name should I look for? Also, I have a 301A. Should I use Liquid Gold on that or the carnuba wax. Thanks
Joni

Megiuers is the brand that I use. Its a pure carnuba wax and nothing but. I would use it on the 301 also. Liquid Gold is my little secret for hiding the crazing of the older finishes and it shines them up really well.

Billy

Lostn51 03-27-2011 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Yes I have a Domestic, Eldredge, FC Henderson, Wheeler and Wilson, and Singers. But I couldnt find a store front sign for them.....:lol:

Billy

LOL that's ok, most people think all old sewing machines are Singers anyway!

Nancy

Very true!

Billy

Miz Johnny 03-27-2011 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Bojangles, is the Boye 20X1 a hard needle to find? Is it still in production? I told you I don't know anything. Thank you for all your help. Judy

I went to the site you gave. It looks like it's not an easy needle to find.

I am way behind in reading; is this the site you checked for 20 x 1?

http://www.ismacs.net/needle_and_sha...eedle-list.pdf

I found a large number on ebay for a good price not too long ago. Just keep watching and you'll find them!

Miz Johnny 03-27-2011 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by MarieM
I just got a call from our local thrift store owner and she has a Necchi Alco, that was all she knew. I can't get there today and she is closed Sunday and Monday so I'll have to check it out on Tuesday. Do any of you have an experience w/the Alco model? What about price? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Marie M.

Probably a badged Japanese machine. I have one--it sews great.

Lostn51 03-27-2011 07:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)

. . . Another 3/4 size portable you may want to check out is the Singer 185J.

Yes they are cute and fun to repaint, but they weigh a ton!!

Billy

Miz Johnny 03-27-2011 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
Thought I'd share another project.... 1873 Singer Mother of Pearl - Handcrank. I need some patience or she's going to see Uncle Billy in Bikini Bottom :)

Judy

Oh boy--she's incredibly beautiful!!

Miz Johnny 03-27-2011 07:08 AM

. . . Another 3/4 size portable you may want to check out is the Singer 185J.

Yes they are cute and fun to repaint, but they weigh a ton!!

Billy

Love the pink.

qltndog 03-27-2011 07:08 AM

Thanks, Billy. First I'll check the garage. Husband and son have lots of wax and stuff for their 70 Chevelle and 56 Bel Aire. Now I have my own mini "car" to wax!!!!!!

qltndog 03-27-2011 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by qltndog
Billy, you told someone that owned a FW not to use Liquid Gold on it but to use carnuba wax. I have seen waxes with carnuba wax but with other ingredients. What brand/name should I look for? Also, I have a 301A. Should I use Liquid Gold on that or the carnuba wax. Thanks
Joni

Megiuers is the brand that I use. Its a pure carnuba wax and nothing but. I would use it on the 301 also. Liquid Gold is my little secret for hiding the crazing of the older finishes and it shines them up really well.

Billy

YES!!! THE MEGUIARS WAX WAS IN THE GARAGE. MY SON ALSO HAS THE CLEANER (STEP 1) AND THE POLISH (STEP 2). SO, CAN I USE THE CLEANER AND POLISH TOO? OR SHOULD I STICK WITH THE GOOP HAND CLEANER. (ALSO IN GARAGE.)
THANKS