Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

cabbagepatchkid 03-25-2011 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Deara
Bubba looks like a workhorse.
Most Bubbas are.
Love your set-up.
Happy Treadling...............
Here's our son Bubba. :thumbup:

Blessings,
Sandi

Ohhhhh....your Bubba is so handsome. Is it my eyesight or am I really looking at gorgeous long eyelashes on that boy. Leave it to the boys to always get the long eyelashes :mrgreen:

Lostn51 03-25-2011 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by luce321
Billy, I am so happy you started the shop. I have enjoyed this evening so much. I have learned so much about all types of machines today. After reading all the posts, now I want a treadle too. Have not used one since I was a teenager. Taking this opportunity to thank all who post such good info and ideas.

Well your welcome, and I hope you know we are all enablers here!

Billy

Miz Johnny 03-25-2011 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose

10 minutes later - the pictures arrived. It has the tension on the top, which is a minus to me, but the cabinet and machine look to be in good condition, though I wonder why the top isn't down in the pics. Internet: Leader machines were made by the A G Mason company from 1870-1899. Interesting - worth a roadtrip? I haven't heard from the third one, but a $25 machine may be too much of a project for me. How does the top tension thread?

I like top tension machines. They are SO easy to adjust!!

purplefiend 03-25-2011 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by cedarvalleyquilts
Bo Jangles...you have a good eye! DH loves Red Eyes, so that's the majority of our collection. And there are a few Victorian and 1 Lotus treadle. (my auction find so it's my baby!). Will try to get more pics posted. They all sew beautifully (DH gets them back into working condition)..my 17-YO son has claimed one of my Victorian handcranks as his (he quilts too!). Definitely is fun when the whole family can do something together.

How cool it that - you all play with the machines! Do you quilt with the treadles? I started using my Singer 15-88 treadle to FM quilt last summer. Now I do most of my piecing on my Free Company treadle! I also have several treadles, like most of the people here in this shop! Welcome aboard!

Nancy

I have quilted with my Singer 15-90 and 237 treadles, it works great! I have 3 treadles(201,15-90 and 237).
Sharon

purplefiend 03-25-2011 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by olebat

EEEEK!!! They still want $110???? Who are they kidding!
The poor machine is in such poor condition. :cry: :cry:

purplefiend 03-25-2011 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Does anyone know anything about the Leader machine made by A G Mason Co? The seller thinks its a 1930s Singer. A G Mason was only in business from 1870 to 1899 and this is definitely theirs. I posted pictures on page 857.

It's a pretty day for a roadtrip, but I'd like some input before I decide. It's $85. The cabinet is not as good as this picture in larger pics, but it's not bad.

I don't know if anyone else has answered your question, it looks like a National to me. Very pretty machine!

purplefiend 03-25-2011 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by ssgramma
OK, take it all apart, put back together, everthing is fine now. So, it appears the stop clamp washer was backwards. I'm sure I put it in the way it came out when the new handwheel arrived and it did sew fine until breaking the needle.

Now it's on with the FMQ and trying to work out the tension, speed and turning issues so I can get past the rat's nests on the back. Some good but a lot of ripping!

I don't have much luck FMQ with my 201, I do much better with the 15-90 or 237 treadles.

vintagemotif 03-25-2011 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
I'm SEW stoked. I spent the night assembling my 31-15 treadle, in anticipation of using the larger workspace for fm quilting my now basted bargello, and the larger queen-size quilt for DD. I was missing a bracket, so I 'improvised' with two spring-loaded curtain rods that hold up the two extended leafs. I can't believe the extra workspace I got, and I'm anxious to give it a spin. I did a tryout of fm, and that's the last picture of the set: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...03630418ObsSzP It's not perfect, but it is functional AND original. I named my machine Bubba. :)

I like the setup with the two spring-loaded curtain rods, very clever. Enjoy your Bubba!

vintagemotif 03-25-2011 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend

Originally Posted by ssgramma
OK, take it all apart, put back together, everthing is fine now. So, it appears the stop clamp washer was backwards. I'm sure I put it in the way it came out when the new handwheel arrived and it did sew fine until breaking the needle.

Now it's on with the FMQ and trying to work out the tension, speed and turning issues so I can get past the rat's nests on the back. Some good but a lot of ripping!

I don't have much luck FMQ with my 201, I do much better with the 15-90 or 237 treadles.

I too find FMQ with my 15-90 much better than with my 201.

irishrose 03-25-2011 06:42 PM

Thank you, Miz Johnny, that makes me feel better. I really know nothing and do want to bring home a machine capable of sewing.
I'm looking at the Leader tomorrow at 1:00. I have to go in with the mindset that it may be 120-130 years old. I can't expect the cabinet to look new, just repairable. Today she knows it's not a Singer and it's made by the A G Mason company, but she says it's a 1928. The company ceased production in 1899. She does have the manual and some attachments.

BTW, my 301 will FMQ wonderfully as soon as the operator becomes comfortable with sewing in more than one direction.