Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

QuiltnCowgirl 04-27-2011 03:12 PM

Ours is pretty skimpy too. That's why I've been surprised by the 2 I've posted here recently...the Neopolitan Brother & this one.

jljack 04-27-2011 03:14 PM

Here's what I was saying about expensive vintage machines in our area....$300 for a very worn treadle!!!

http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/atq/2347340954.html

And if I contact them and say the price is out of line, they just laugh & hang up!!

jljack 04-27-2011 03:20 PM

Here's another one.....$500!!!! It must be gold plated!!! NO???? Well.....then, how about $100?

http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/atq/2334938747.html

luce321 04-27-2011 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kitzone

Originally Posted by luce321
Billy, I know this question has nothing to do with your post, but since I don't know how to post a question, I am putting it here.
I
I have read the instructions but still don't know how to post a question. Can you help me? Thanks in advance.

Lucy

Hi Lucy, I sent you a PM that hopefully will explain how to post messages.

Judy, Thank you so much for the information. I read it and am sure I can do it. Haven't tried yet but will do so soon. I have been in a mess for about five days. A pipe broke in my bedroom wall leading to the bathroom, and what a mess. I've had the plumber out and SurfPro to disenfect the area. They had to take down lots of the sheetrock as it evidentally had been leaking for sometime and had lots of mold. It will be another week or more before it is completed and new carpet down. To make it worse all this is going on while I have been taking medical tests this week. The adjuster is coming tomorrow and I dread it. They have already told me on the phone that they will not pay for the mold and will not pay for the plumber's labor and to replace the pipe. I wonder why I carry insurance at all.

Sorry, to complain but venting seems to help. Thanks again so much. Incidentally, I have asked several questions since I joined this site and you are the only one that has answered my posts. I must have been doing something incorrect.

buslady 04-27-2011 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
Good morning, everyone. I have a question...I was given a 15-91 but it does not have the wooden (?) base or case. I don't necessarily want to put it in a cabinet. Is there someone who can make a base for me or where I can buy one? The sweet lady who gave it to me told me that the "coffin top" cases do not work with it.

Any suggestions?

I have been looking on eBay and also have been keeping my eye out for different cases that may work for my 15-91 on craigs list. Also, if I remember correctly, someone on VSMS husband made wooden bases but I am not positive.

When the weather improves I am hopeful to find a decent case at a yard sale that I can swap out the SM heads.

Maybe someone else can offer better solutions to our caseless cause :)

Judy

i bought a 99 on ebay that was in a homemade case, i need one for my 66, so i sent both machines to my dsil for him to make a base for it using the other as a "guide". he hasnt finished yet

jljack 04-27-2011 03:36 PM

Billy, I know this question has nothing to do with your post, but since I don't know how to post a question, I am putting it here.
I
I have read the instructions but still don't know how to post a question. Can you help me? Thanks in advance.

Lucy

Hi Lucy, I sent you a PM that hopefully will explain how to post messages.

Judy, Thank you so much for the information. I read it and am sure I can do it. Haven't tried yet but will do so soon. I have been in a mess for about five days. A pipe broke in my bedroom wall leading to the bathroom, and what a mess. I've had the plumber out and SurfPro to disenfect the area. They had to take down lots of the sheetrock as it evidentally had been leaking for sometime and had lots of mold. It will be another week or more before it is completed and new carpet down. To make it worse all this is going on while I have been taking medical tests this week. The adjuster is coming tomorrow and I dread it. They have already told me on the phone that they will not pay for the mold and will not pay for the plumber's labor and to replace the pipe. I wonder why I carry insurance at all.

Sorry, to complain but venting seems to help. Thanks again so much. Incidentally, I have asked several questions since I joined this site and you are the only one that has answered my posts. I must have been doing something incorrect.

Luce, I don't think you were doing anything incorrectly. I have seen your questions, but I didn't know the answers, so I didn't reply. Sometimes we go by a question for that reason, because we know there are others who can answer....and sometimes our questions get overlooked because of the volume of posts on this thread.

Don't give up....ask the question again. You aren't being ignored...the people here don't ignore....be a little persistent, and someone will answer you. It just may take a couple of tries...I have had that happen, too. Not everyone goes back and reads every page, and if your question gets back a couple of pages....well, it can slip into oblivion in less than 1 day!! :-)

redbugsullivan 04-27-2011 03:50 PM

[\quote]Definitely a badged National, and in absolutely wonderful shape. The Nationals generally take Boye size 14 needles, but DamascusAnnie, the Queen of National machines, says she just uses a regular 15 x 1 needle and "cheats" it down a bit. Let me know if that works for you, and if not, we will hunt for needles that work!![/quote]

It looks like a National to me too. In fact, it's a lot like my Alvah only in WAY better condition. I think your grandmother+ would be thrilled if you oiled it up and did some sewing!! I'm fixing up my MiL's 1904 New Home just for that reason. Yes, be inspired and sew!

sew wishful 04-27-2011 04:12 PM

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by sew wishful

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Well, not only do I not have a pic (readily available, that is)...I also don't have the right make of machine...it's a Rotary machine not Kenmore. It is a krinkle finish. Sews a pretty stitch, but it keeps breaking thread after about 8-10- inches. I'm pretty sure it's a simple threading error. I'll keep hunting for pics.

Randa, can you post a picture of the whole machine? It looks really cute from just the face plate.

Nancy

Here you go....I have a couple more I'll send.

Another view. Any info you have would be appreciated.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]190074[/ATTACH]

emmah 04-27-2011 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
Hi Billy,

I have just gotten a 15-91 off ebay.... I have found two things that I need!! First is a bobbin case and the second is a light bulb... the shell of the bulb was in the light fixture.. it is a screw in type, can you still get that type? online I have seen but the push in type and is that usable? And what is a reasonable price for a bobbin case?? Thanks so much,

Sharon

The bobbin case goes for $5.00 plus shipping or less on ebay. There also was one with the case, several bobbins, and an extra plate for $9.99. The light bulbs are only a couple dollars. It is a real workhorse of a machine, can sew just about anything!

irishrose 04-27-2011 04:14 PM

Glen, sorry about your trees. My son working in your area just got a call. His company is offering their heavy equipment for clean up and needs operators. Of course, D jumped on it.

Our Craigslist is full of machines - must be spring cleaning, but I'm not buying. At least not until I convert my family room to another sewing room.