Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Kathie S. 05-11-2011 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by luce321
Kathie, the before and after pictures are awesome. That is one beautiful machine. I especially like the wood decals on the end of the machine. Lucky you.

Lucy

Thank you Lucy. Kathie

Kitzone 05-11-2011 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by Kitzone
I was wondering if anyone could share information on a 1920 Green Singer 127 Sphinx. I was talking to a lady today and she said she had one and they were quite rare. I have never seen or heard of a green sphinx and just wondered if anyone else knew anything about them.

Judy

Hello everyone! I love the great machines on parade since I was here last. You guys got some really nice FW's and I saw a 301 too! I have been gone for a couple days and now I have to condition/tone up 6 horses so I won't have much time for the shop for a while.

Thanks for all the kind thoughts since our little blue Chihuahua, Balto, left us last weekend. That was very unexpected and sad for us.

Judy, you educated me! I did not realize the 127 had an ejector button! Thank you! That is nice to know since I am now using that 127 to piece!

I never heard of a green 127. I'd bet it is a 185.

Nancy

Update: 1920 Green 127 Singer Sphinx ~ well curiosity got the best of me and I went to look at it :) The color of the decals are slightly different than my 1908 model. Same decal but the tint leans slightly towards sage green. The sewing machine was in excellent condition and appeared to be well care for over the years. The owner said that it belonged to her grandmother, who received it as a wedding present from her husband :)

I wonder if this difference in color tint is similar to the Brown Lotus which makes it more rare? Any thoughts?

Judy

C.Cal Quilt Girl 05-11-2011 05:33 PM

Thanks for the info Billy.... Visited your tuts, cleaned it up some, and a light service, didn't do the whole teardown/clean up but sews like the beauty she is except the stitch length could use some work pretty sure thats an internal adjustment can live with it at this time. Working on finding a manual, and a little fixes on the cabinet.

This was on the Teal Riccar from a few days ago... Thanks again !! :)

Glenn 05-11-2011 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
You can have the piece welded but then you have to deal with the welding scar and grounding it down smooth. For such a small repair just use the JB weld epoxy. Glenn

Jan, I agree with Glenn. Go get some JB Weld - it's amazing stuff and will hold as long as you let is cure properly. Make sure to wipe away any excess along the crack line and you won't even notice the break.

How do you plan to clean the rusted areas?

Judy

Jan, with that much rust on the machine you will not be able to save much of the decals. Once the rust is removed the paint will be gone under it. After you to get it to work you might consider a repaint in shiny black paint, after the paint is cured spray on a shellac over coat and this will give it an antique look. If you are determined to save what finish is left and it you have a dremel tool, you can use the buffing pads(you will go thru a ton of them) on the rusted spots. I f the rust is to deep then I would strip it and sand it down to shiny metal prime it and paint it black.
Don't use any derusting chemicals if you plan to save decal and any of the old finish it will ruin them and the finish. You can also sand the rusted areas with wet or dry sandpaper lubricated with karosene just make sure you get to shiny metal if not the rust will come back. Hope this helps Glenn

Glenn 05-11-2011 05:37 PM

You can have the piece welded but then you have to deal with the welding scar and grounding it down smooth. For such a small repair just use the JB weld epoxy. Glenn

Jan, I agree with Glenn. Go get some JB Weld - it's amazing stuff and will hold as long as you let is cure properly. Make sure to wipe away any excess along the crack line and you won't even notice the break.

Judy

Jan, with that much rust on the machine you will not be able to save much of the decals. Once the rust is removed the paint will be gone under it. After you to get it to work you might consider a repaint in shiny black paint, after the paint is cured spray on a shellac over coat and this will give it an antique look. If you are determined to save what finish is left and it you have a dremel tool, you can use the buffing pads(you will go thru a ton of them) on the rusted spots. I f the rust is to deep then I would strip it and sand it down to shiny metal prime it and paint it black.
Don't use any derusting chemicals if you plan to save decal and any of the old finish it will ruin them and the finish. You can also sand the rusted areas with wet or dry sandpaper lubricated with karosene just make sure you get to shiny metal if not the rust will come back. Hope this helps Glenn

Glenn 05-11-2011 05:39 PM

Sorry for the double post I must hit the mouse twice Glenn

quiltdoctor 05-11-2011 06:08 PM

Judy

I haven't really decided about what to do. I want to get good digital pictures of the decals, so they will be documented. I need to do what I have to in order to get her unstuck, so if the kerosene ruins the decals then, stripping and painting may well be in order. Guess that will be my plan. The best decals are on the back, but they are quite dark, and don't seem to want to clean up too well. Will send updates. Thanks for everyone's help.

Jan

Glenn 05-11-2011 06:21 PM

Jan what part of North Texas are you from. I was born in Decatur and went to North Texas U in Denton. Glenn

dirty1mom 05-11-2011 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
What did I buy??? I won the bid on E-bay and this little hand crank made it home today. Sadly the metal base broke in shipping. I'm waiting to hear from the seller. It is locked tight, so she got a good oiling and will let her rest a day or so. I never saw a metal base like that.

Anyone have any info on her?? I knew she was in rough shape, and the bobbin winder is missing. There is a shuttle and a bobbin though.

There is a 2 part epoxy type compound for metal that might work to repair the base. I can find out the name of it from my son. He is an auto mechanic and says you can get it at an auto parts store. Let me know if you want the name of it.

dirty1mom 05-11-2011 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
What did I buy??? I won the bid on E-bay and this little hand crank made it home today. Sadly the metal base broke in shipping. I'm waiting to hear from the seller. It is locked tight, so she got a good oiling and will let her rest a day or so. I never saw a metal base like that.

Anyone have any info on her?? I knew she was in rough shape, and the bobbin winder is missing. There is a shuttle and a bobbin though.

There is a 2 part epoxy type compound for metal that might work to repair the base. I can find out the name of it from my son. He is an auto mechanic and says you can get it at an auto parts store. Let me know if you want the
name of it.

Sorry didn't read ahead far enough to see Glenn already told you about the weld stuff.