Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

miriam 06-03-2011 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by olebat
OMG, what do I do now? While I was in the hospital last week, I made arrangements for a friend to pick up a 301 short bed, which I had found on Craig's List. It was from a town about 1 1/2 hours away. When the friend had a chance to come to town, he delivered the machine to my car. I opened the car, and was surprised to see a solid wooden cabinet. What I viewed on line, and the description of the machine sounded like a portable. (Wooden case was mentioned, not wooden cabinet.) The deep drawers were filled with books, two button hole attachments and lots of templates and cams, a zig zag foot, and the usual assortment of feet from the era. I already have 14 cabinet machines, and about 18 portables, 4 treadles, and two computerized machines. I didn't need another cabinet either, but I'm tickled to have it. Now I need to have the family move it into the house so I can play with it. The seller and the friend said it worked good. There was a repair ticket in the books which indicate a professional cleaning and "tune-up". Less than 4 years ago. Oh well, I guess I still need to look for a portable 301. I also need a good chain stitch machine, so I'll continue to watch the sales, and when able, hit the thrift stores and antique shops. Never know what I'll drag home next.

It may well be portable!!! Look under the lift lid and see if there is a lever under there. If you push the lever the machine will just pop out of the metal basket that holds the machine in the cabinet. It is so easy once you figure it out.

olebat 06-03-2011 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by miriam

OMG, what do I do now? While I was in the hospital last week, I made arrangements for a friend to pick up a 301 short bed, which I had found on Craig's List. It was from a town about 1 1/2 hours away. When the friend had a chance to come to town, he delivered the machine to my car. I opened the car, and was surprised to see a solid wooden cabinet. What I viewed on line, and the description of the machine sounded like a portable.

It may well be portable!!! Look under the lift lid and see if there is a lever under there. If you push the lever the machine will just pop out of the metal basket that holds the machine in the cabinet. It is so easy once you figure it out.

Once I get it in the house, I'll check it out. But then, I'll need a case of some sort, and sole feet? Then I'll still have this heavy cabinet . . . Hey, I'm not complaining. (DH, on the other hand - )

vintagemotif 06-03-2011 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Remember yesterday I told you about the box of goodies I got. Well last night I got to playing around with the different attachments and found out I have an old singer zig zagger. Fits a FW or 101 machine. It even has the attachment to add for sewing on lace.

NICE! The prize in the box is always fun! Have fun playing with your prize.

miriam 06-03-2011 09:31 AM

OMG, what do I do now? While I was in the hospital last week, I made arrangements for a friend to pick up a 301 short bed, which I had found on Craig's List. It was from a town about 1 1/2 hours away. When the friend had a chance to come to town, he delivered the machine to my car. I opened the car, and was surprised to see a solid wooden cabinet. What I viewed on line, and the description of the machine sounded like a portable.

Once I get it in the house, I'll check it out. But then, I'll need a case of some sort, and sole feet? Then I'll still have this heavy cabinet . . . Hey, I'm not complaining. (DH, on the other hand - )

I found replacement rubber feet at http://shop.sew-classic.com/Singer-3...-Parts_c37.htm - or it might be on her 401 page
- cheap too.

vintagemotif 06-03-2011 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by kwendt

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Congrats on everyone's excellent finds! $10 FW is an awesome find!

Thanks VM.... (and everyone else). Cleaned her up, inside and out, new lub, new oil, everything is moving great. Turns out I'm missing the gib screw in the bobbin race and terminal block recepticle is broken on the bottom. Not too terribly bad, considering. I've emailed Billy for a parts check. If he doesn't have them, ebay does.

VM, I remember seeing your pics of that 328 in the treadle... but I wanted to ask you which/what treadle stand you found it fit in? I'm just now looking for a treadle cabinet that can take a few different machines (to swap out heads). Think a standard Singer treadle parlor cabinet, or 6 drawer flip top cabinet would hold a 328 as well?

If you have the standard ( I call them the classic) cabinet, it will fit. I had mine first in the classic cabinet and now it is in the straight-leg cabinet. For it to fit in the cabinet, you will have to remove the plate for the treadle belt, that black piece that sits off on the right of the machine. Very easy to remove, but a pain to put back. :) Most Singer cabinets (all that I have found) hold the Singer machines. I don't own a 99, FW, or whatever (that other machine is) that fits into a smaller opening. All my machines, 66s, 15s, 201, and 328 fit into the classic, standard, and straight-leg cabinets. Hope that helps ya.

vintagemotif 06-03-2011 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
Now I have to go back and reread page 1125 to learn about the my pages. Lots of great info there, but I'll need to have it up in order to actually use the my pages thing.

To whomever that posted the link to the singer attachment directions, thank you.

I went at looked at my ruffler and my manual and it was exactly the same as the link. While I understand the words written are English, the meaning is Greek. Since I'm working on my first project EVER that involves ruffling or gathering....I'm cheating and having a tailor friend of mine help me with it. I'm hoping I can do it without having to add that big monster to the machine!

Does anyone have an example of an edgestitch foot that would fit a 66? I don't have one with the machine now. Are they available for these older machines or only for the new ones? I think it might be helpful for some of these rolled hems I'm doing. Just a thought. Billy, if you have one, can I combine them with an order for classic 66 bobbins?

Do you need to bookmark my bookmarks?! ;)
Check my "my pages" pages for your info on attachments. I hope it is there. If not, check a manual.

Here is the link for attachments: http://www.thesewbox.com/free_sewing...tructions.html

SewExtremeSeams 06-03-2011 10:18 AM

[quote=vintagemotif]

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
Now I have to go back and reread page 1125 to learn about the my pages. Lots of great info there, but I'll need to have it up in order to actually use the my pages thing.

To whomever that posted the link to the singer attachment directions, thank you.

Do you need to bookmark my bookmarks?! ;)
Check my "my pages" pages for your info on attachments. I hope it is there. If not, check a manual.

Here is the link for attachments: http://www.thesewbox.com/free_sewing...tructions.html

My Pages (Sometimes called User's Pages) vs. Bookmarking a topic. Recently it was posted on the board that after the first 100 pages, your bookmarked topics begin to be dropped, as that is the maximum (100). My Pages doesn't work that way. Amma's explanation is pretty clear on how to use them.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-76366-1.htm

jljack 06-03-2011 10:20 AM

OMG, what do I do now? While I was in the hospital last week, I made arrangements for a friend to pick up a 301 short bed, which I had found on Craig's List. It was from a town about 1 1/2 hours away. When the friend had a chance to come to town, he delivered the machine to my car. I opened the car, and was surprised to see a solid wooden cabinet. What I viewed on line, and the description of the machine sounded like a portable. (Wooden case was mentioned, not wooden cabinet.) The deep drawers were filled with books, two button hole attachments and lots of templates and cams, a zig zag foot, and the usual assortment of feet from the era. I already have 14 cabinet machines, and about 18 portables, 4 treadles, and two computerized machines. I didn't need another cabinet either, but I'm tickled to have it. Now I need to have the family move it into the house so I can play with it. The seller and the friend said it worked good. There was a repair ticket in the books which indicate a professional cleaning and "tune-up". Less than 4 years ago. Oh well, I guess I still need to look for a portable 301. I also need a good chain stitch machine, so I'll continue to watch the sales, and when able, hit the thrift stores and antique shops. Never know what I'll drag home next.

Olebat, if that is indeed a 301 cabinet it is in, it should be easily removed to be able to make it portable. There should be only one lever to push to release it from the cabinet.

Deara 06-03-2011 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme

Originally Posted by tomilu

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Machine count currently stands at approximately 15.

Kathie

I'm not telling how many I have, but it is Okiepastor's fault. Half of them are hers, lol.
Tommie

Ohhh, is it ok to blame someone else?

OK, I have seww many because its Deara's fault! She enables me... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...and we live clear across the states from each other. Imagine if we lived in the same city? :shock: :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Linda, you are a hoot.

We must have enough machines so our grandbabies have a good start for their own collections. :mrgreen: :shock: :thumbup:
If we lived in the same city, we could have our own sewing machine museum.
With what you have and what I have, we would need a pretty big place. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Blessings,
Sandi

jljack 06-03-2011 10:24 AM

I found replacement rubber feet at http://shop.sew-classic.com/Singer-3...-Parts_c37.htm - or it might be on her 401 page
- cheap too.

And you don't need a case...it will sit right on a table. The bottom is covered by a plate. Mine does not have a case or a cabinet. She came all by it's little lonesome self. She now lives in my wheeled sewing machine tote, and is my traveling companion to classes, etc.