Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

BoJangles 06-12-2011 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Geeze someone rescue this machine! It is far too nice for a 'parts' machine. Look at those La Vincendora decals!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Nancy

Nancy, stop looking at other machines and go piece a quilt top with your Two Spools. I want to see your first project from her.

I oiled Annie Oakley up yesterday. Cleaned out all the lint and dust from sitting in this guys garage for 30 years! Put a new needle in - I have not looked up to see if she uses a regular 15 x 1 needle - I assume she does. I am ready to try to wind a thread spool and try her out today. Monica, anything I should know before I try winding the second spool? Geeze, wouldn't it be nice if we could still buy those little spools of thread - you'd never have to wind the spools. I love the fact that she has no bobbins, just a second spool of thread! I wonder why the Two Spools didn't just take off with the public? Kinda like the Davis Vertical Feed that has no feed dogs - they just didn't get the acceptance to go forward with those machines.

Nancy

quiltdoctor 06-12-2011 05:13 AM

Ok I did it, got my 33rd machine today!!!! The sad thing is that 11 of those are treadles!!!!!!

I got the Eldredge Two Spools listed on Craigslist! The machine is so nice, only needed to be wiped off. It was in the same family for 86 years! I got the Certificate of Warranty - dated. I got the users manual, the attachments, the instruction manual for the attachments, the service guarantee. He was asking $100, I got it for $90. This is the first machine I have bought that I did not have to go on-line and get a manual, bobbins, slide plate, spool pin, whatever! It is complete!

Here she is! I am going to call this machine Annie Oakley - she fits in with Monica's cowboy and cowgirl.

Nancy

Sorry these pictures are kinda dark - I had to put this one in front of the Murphy bed in my sewing room! Heaven help us if we have over night company soon!

She's a real beauty !!

Texas Jan

BoJangles 06-12-2011 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna

Originally Posted by purplefiend

Originally Posted by Krystyna
Hi, I am now an official member of the vintage sewing machine owner's club! Don't know why, but I am a little terrified of it. Can anyone help ID the exact model for me? Serial number is GO108195. I'd really like to find a manual. And a little hand holding would be good, too! :roll:

Its okay, she won't bite. You have a model 66-1 with Red Eye decals, she's a sister to my machine. Do the feet attach at
the back or on the side?
Yours is older than mine by a few months made in 1910,
my serial number is G5960807.
You could remove the motor and light and make her a treadle again.

Thanks so much. The fellow I bought it from said it was a 1929 model, but 1910 is good too. Just wondering where I can find a manual so I know how to thread it properly, how to wind the bobbin, what type of bobbins it uses, and how to oil it. I want to use it as an electric machine -- already have a treadle which I'm ashamed to say is in my garage! The feet attach on the side.

Krystyna, here is a site with free downloads of instruction manuals for Singer's Model 15, 66, 99, 27, 127, 28, 128, and 221!

These manuals are copies of the original so not really good quality - just down load, but remember the 99 is like 99 pages long - if I remember correctly!

http://www.a1sewingmachine.com/manuals.htm

Nancy

tomilu 06-12-2011 05:30 AM

Geeze someone rescue this machine! It is far too nice for a 'parts' machine. Look at those La Vincendora decals!

Nancy

I bid on it, but I would convert to a HC. Anyone else is welcomed to outbid me.
Tommie

Tulip 06-12-2011 07:57 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone, have been lurking for awhile, love learning about the vintage machines. I have a FW (my grams), dressmaker and now a Red Eye which is the reason for this post. She is missing her bobbin case and throat plate. Any recommendations on where to shop for parts, also needs a new belt, size to be determined.She has an electric motor and would really like to convert to a treadle. Is this possible? I've downloaded Billys tutorials on disassembly and cleaning, that is our next step. I bought her at a country yard sale yesterday for $10.00 and am so excited! She has sticky white tape residue all over her (they taped instruction notes on her) She has been on my wish list for quite awhile. I have taken her out of the case she came in, really smells of mouse droppings, cleaned out their nest, Yuck! Now it is airing out on the deck. Her birthday is 12/16/1924 in Elizabeth New Jersey. Here are some pictures of her (name to be determined, lol). Thanks for your help and the great tutorials Billy!
Tulip

Machine and Stinky Case
[ATTACH=CONFIG]210366[/ATTACH]

Throat Plate and Bobbin Case Missing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]210367[/ATTACH]

Her Backside
[ATTACH=CONFIG]210368[/ATTACH]

Miz Johnny 06-12-2011 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms

Nancy

Do you think it runs at all? I've never done a restoration! I'm a little afraid to tackle it. Love the decals!

This machine is perfect for a conversion to HC. Remove the motor (a few screws), put on a crank, and you're good to go. Although vibrating shuttle machines did come as electrics, they make much better people-powered machines. As electrics they tend to "follow their calling" and vibrate all over the table.

BoJangles 06-12-2011 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tulip
Hi everyone, have been lurking for awhile, love learning about the vintage machines. I have a FW (my grams), dressmaker and now a Red Eye which is the reason for this post. She is missing her bobbin case and throat plate. Any recommendations on where to shop for parts, also needs a new belt, size to be determined.She has an electric motor and would really like to convert to a treadle. Is this possible? I've downloaded Billys tutorials on disassembly and cleaning, that is our next step. I bought her at a country yard sale yesterday for $10.00 and am so excited! She has sticky white tape residue all over her (they taped instruction notes on her) She has been on my wish list for quite awhile. I have taken her out of the case she came in, really smells of mouse droppings, cleaned out their nest, Yuck! Now it is airing out on the deck. Her birthday is 12/16/1924 in Elizabeth New Jersey. Here are some pictures of her (name to be determined, lol). Thanks for your help and the great tutorials Billy!
Tulip

Tulip congratulations! You need a slide plate, which is really easy to find on e-bay and most repair shops. She is a 66-6 so she takes any low shank foot, same as the FW. She doesn't have a bobbin case, she only needs a class 66 drop in bobbin! You can also find those at most repair shops and on e-bay. Don't get the plastic ones, get a vintage class 66 bobbin. If the bobbin assembly is all there that is all you need. Those 66's just have the drop in bobbin just like a modern Janome, or vintage 99 - no case. The belts are also easily attained.

She would make a great treadle - she has the correct wheel - or a hand crank!

Billy here carries all those parts if you want to send him a pm!

Congratulations!

Nancy

Miz Johnny 06-12-2011 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Tulip
Hi everyone, have been lurking for awhile, love learning about the vintage machines. I have a FW (my grams), dressmaker and now a Red Eye which is the reason for this post. She is missing her bobbin case and throat plate. Any recommendations on where to shop for parts, also needs a new belt, size to be determined.She has an electric motor and would really like to convert to a treadle. Is this possible? . .. Tulip

Are you sure it's missing it's bobbin case? The 66 has a drop in bobbin. Unless you work at it a bit, the bobbin case doesn't come out. It will drop right into a treadle; just remove wiring and motor. She already has a spoked wheel, so would make a good HC conversion, too. Looks to be in really good shape. Have fun!

Miz Johnny 06-12-2011 08:36 AM

Hey, Nancy--great minds and all that!!

MisDixie 06-12-2011 08:51 AM

Thank you Nancy. I don't do the e-bay thing, but will have a look. Now that I see yours I think it was a plain peice. Will also check at my brothers place this summer. Rose was stored there for quite a number of years. Brother saves everything, lol if I can show him what I am looking for bet he will know where to find it. Dixie

Originally Posted by MisDixie
Hello all, Back in Jan. I posted a picture of 'Rose' on page 531. She is missing the cover for the thread take up lever. Well I have been looking at parts sites to find a replacement and so far no luck. Rose is a 1924 Singer 127, made in Canada. As far as I can remember it was a silver tooled plate with a large thumb screw, but as I have had her for 38 years I could be wrong on that! Can anyone give me some idea as to where to look for that cover? Thanks Dixie

Dixie, look at page 469. That is my 127 with the Sphinx decals. The part you are missing is silver looking, but mine is not tooled, just plain with just a screw not a thumb screw. Your best bet would be to find a parts machine. Have you been watching e-bay?

Nancy