Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Miz Johnny 06-07-2010 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Honchey
. . .there is a red piece of fabric that looks like a wick it's just to the right of the button you push to get the bobbin out of the case. It's attached to or inside a little metal ring of wire that looks like a spring. I removed some of it but I think it's supposed to be there .

Yep--that red piece of fabric is an oil wick. The first time I came across one (in a 285), I tried my best to pull all of it out, thinking it was lint. I've since heard many people try that!!

purplefiend 06-07-2010 08:52 PM

I'm crying with you! Such a beautiful machine, so sad that the handwheel was broken. However good news! It can be
replaced.
Sharon W. in Texas

Honchey 06-07-2010 09:02 PM

You are from Round Rock !! I was in that area (Pfleugerville) 3 yrs ago for my nephews' wedding. It was 100 degrees every day.1t was in June. Thanks for your tears. I have some one helping me with parts. Maggie sews, nothing bent, Presser foot problem other than that she'll be ok. Anne

KenZ 06-07-2010 09:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by no1jan

Originally Posted by KenZ
I have a Red Eye that I am considering strippng for parts if I can help anyone out.

If it is a back clamp foot, Glenn is looking for attachments!

Can you post a picture of it?

This is the picture you requested.

KenZ 06-07-2010 09:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by no1jan

I have a Red Eye that I am considering strippng for parts if I can help anyone out.

If it is a back clamp foot, Glenn is looking for attachments!

Can you post a picture of it?

This is the picture you requested. The pictures look better than the machine.

quilt addict 06-08-2010 04:19 AM

[quote=Lostn51]

Originally Posted by quilt addict
All,

Oh I am looking forward to hanging out with you Lisa!!!!

Billy

I am looking forward to it also. Lots of work to do. Still trying to find a tub for all the baths I need to give these machines. You would think you could find an oil pan at garage sales. Maybe will just have to go buy one new (gasp :oops: ).

I have a surprise for you if I can get it. I think it will be a real steal. I am still trying to stay with the goal of not spending over $40. But that is reflected in the condition of the machines and cabinets that I am getting.

Lots of work to do! Where's that coffee? Its early.

Lostn51 06-08-2010 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Billy;

You're welcome for the pie. The rhubarb is from my garden.

Re the machine: Is $50 a fair price for it? I haven't seen any pics but the seller says it's in good condition with some attachments but no manual.

Chris

Yum!!! I love Rhubarb!!

As far as the machine is concerned if it is in good cosmetic condition I would go for it! And the fact that it has some attachments makes it that much better.

Billy

Lostn51 06-08-2010 06:54 AM

This is the picture you requested. The pictures look better than the machine.

Ken that is a 66-3 you have and not a bad looking one at that.

Billy

Lostn51 06-08-2010 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Honchey
more photos and I want to thank evey one for their concern and help. The decal on the machine bed is beautiful. I was able to take off the hand wheel with no problem. Thanks for the help Billy. You'll be hearing from me. Anne

Anne I am glad everything is working out for you and your machine sounds like it should when it was new. That is saying something about good ol' American engineering and pride!!!

The presser foot might have too much tension on it if you want try and to release some of it by unscrewing the thumb screw on top of the machine that the bar goes through.

Billy

Lostn51 06-08-2010 07:01 AM

[quote=quilt addict]

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by quilt addict
All,

Oh I am looking forward to hanging out with you Lisa!!!!

Billy

I am looking forward to it also. Lots of work to do. Still trying to find a tub for all the baths I need to give these machines. You would think you could find an oil pan at garage sales. Maybe will just have to go buy one new (gasp :oops: ).

I have a surprise for you if I can get it. I think it will be a real steal. I am still trying to stay with the goal of not spending over $40. But that is reflected in the condition of the machines and cabinets that I am getting.

Lots of work to do! Where's that coffee? Its early.

Coffee is on and ready for you!!!

Billy