Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

tomilu 07-27-2011 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Well, Quiltncowgirl and I found a treadle to buy. Here it is

We have to drive to Paso Robles (about 100+ miles) to get it, but wonderful machine!! It's been in this same family since it was new.

I would love to have a fiddlebase!!!!!!

irishrose 07-27-2011 01:19 PM

Bennett, it's a 301. The aqua one looks like a White to me. Look at the length of the name. My mother's White from the 50s looked just like that. That's the machine I'm looking for.

Buslady, I'm your enabler or finder, depending on how you look at it. It sounds like a winner. Judy

quilt addict 07-27-2011 01:34 PM

We have to drive to Paso Robles (about 100+ miles) to get it, but wonderful machine!! It's been in this same family since it was new.

Do I remember correctly that you were just last week complaining about lack of treadles.....It is a beauty and well worth the drive it looks like. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

vintagemotif 07-27-2011 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
[Oh I forgot to tell you that I have to go to the doctors again, it is not looking good.

Billy

Hope you health improves. Hang in there Billy. Sending prayers to you.

Thanks for the advise. I will see what it looks like after cleaning.
Is cleaning with machine oil better/easier on the decals than the Goop?

I like Goop with the Liquid Gold chaser but that is my preference. To me the finish just looks newer and cleaner than if you just use oil to gloss it up.

Billy[/quote]

Just be careful! I clean one of my Two Spools with non pumice Goop and had the decals turn silver in the test area and on the bed where the shellac was already damage the decals turned silver and some was removed.

Always test!!!!

Billy, Hope all is well for you and you start to feel better.

QuiltnCowgirl 07-27-2011 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict

Do I remember correctly that you were just last week complaining about lack of treadles.....It is a beauty and well worth the drive it looks like. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The thing was that jljack just needed the treadle cabinet. Which it seems like around here cabinets only are either a piece of junk or made into tables. The cabinets with machines are at least $125 & on up. I'm wanting a few of the antique machines, working or not, for display in my sewing room. So...we got to talking & realized that if we found a machine I liked in a cabinet she liked, we could split the cost & each get what we are wanting for a reasonable amount. Nothing like a bit of teamwork!

jljack 07-27-2011 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl

Originally Posted by quilt addict

The thing was that jljack just needed the treadle cabinet. Which it seems like around here cabinets only are either a piece of junk or made into tables. The cabinets with machines are at least $125 & on up. I'm wanting a few of the antique machines, working or not, for display in my sewing room. So...we got to talking & realized that if we found a machine I liked in a cabinet she liked, we could split the cost & each get what we are wanting for a reasonable amount. Nothing like a bit of teamwork!

:thumbup: :thumbup: EXACTLY@!!!! :D

vintagemotif 07-27-2011 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by buslady
OK, I don't remember who the enabler was, but I bit. Bought the two-spools that is in Traverse City. The lady is very kind and gave me some history. Her grandmother passed a couple of years ago at the age of 96. She sewed on this machine right up til the end. Was the original owner. She was a Type A, so the machine and cabinet, along with original manual and all the attachments are mint, I am told. I will not get it until mid August, it is several hours drive so will get it when I am planning a trip there for a confrence in mid August. I am very excited. Will name it "Ortha" after the DGM. I've gotten quite a collection going here. My DH started out thinking I was nuts, now he helps me and when a friend of his visited yesterday just before he left DH asked if I was going to show him some of my machines. He followed us around and if I forgot something, he filled in the details. LOL

Cute!! If your drive is just a couple of hours, I suggest going to get that machine this weekend. Two Spools are great machines to piece work. Plus, you and your husband will marvel at the mechanics of this machine, and your husband will be showing it off to all that come through the door.

Congrats and enjoy!

grayhare 07-27-2011 02:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
What do you all think about this sewing machine set? And what model is it. Looks nicely taken care of. My other machine is a Spartan, I thought this would be a nice addition. I really like the cabinet and stool, would like to refinish them in a darker color. It is a listing on craigslist, any tips or advice. They are asking 90 OBO 65.
Thank you, Anamaria

Cabinet set
[ATTACH=CONFIG]232523[/ATTACH]

Machine close-up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]232524[/ATTACH]

tomilu 07-27-2011 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by grayhare
What do you all think about this sewing machine set? And what model is it. Looks nicely taken care of. My other machine is a Spartan, I thought this would be a nice addition. I really like the cabinet and stool, would like to refinish them in a darker color. It is a listing on craigslist, any tips or advice. They are asking 90 OBO 65.
Thank you, Anamaria

I'd pay 65 for it. Make sure it runs and has bobbin case, etc.

Gigi07 07-27-2011 03:19 PM

I would pay $65 in a heartbeat for it! Our Craigslist hasn't had anything as nice as that.. I keep looking tho