Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

SewExtremeSeams 06-12-2010 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
Just wanted to say that as much as I am enjoying my treadle (I completed my first quilt top on it - such fun) I just happened to see an electric Singer in a really nice cabinet - class 66 ... And it was on half price at an estate sale so I got it for $24.75

You made out great. Looking forward to your photos!

SewExtremeSeams 06-12-2010 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Heres my new toy! Rob got it free from an antique guy who said it wasnt worth anything, lol! It is to me, I love the color, and it sews really nice. Can anyone tell me anything about it, I googled it, and cant find anything. Took forever to figure out how to thread it.

Oh, your machine is so beautiful. I love the color! I am sure someone will come into the shop who can tell you about it. Congratulations!

ejpkam 06-12-2010 05:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
very neat

red eye --1916 yr
[ATTACH=CONFIG]84730[/ATTACH]

ejpkam 06-12-2010 05:11 PM

5 Attachment(s)
This singer treadle is from 1947 an amish family owned it and kept very good care of it

was wondering if anyone knew if the legs are original?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]84656[/ATTACH]

German writing on side of the drawer from amish
[ATTACH=CONFIG]84657[/ATTACH]

all the accessories it came with
[ATTACH=CONFIG]84732[/ATTACH]

Miz Johnny 06-12-2010 05:21 PM

Heres my new toy! Rob got it free from an antique guy who said it wasnt worth anything, lol! It is to me, I love the color, and it sews really nice. Can anyone tell me anything about it, I googled it, and cant find anything. Took forever to figure out how to thread it.

Post WW II (50's) Japanese Class 15 machine. I love them, and probably have a dozen in one form or another!! The colors are awesome. I convert them to handcrank, but I guess if you're addicted to electricity, they work well that way as well!! Low shank, so Singer accessories (except the slant shank for the 301/401/500 series) will work. These usually came with Griest attachments.

Miz Johnny 06-12-2010 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by ejpkam
This singer treadle is from 1947 an amish family owned it and kept very good care of it

The legs are original. I had a cabinet like this, but found it a bit short for me (long legs), so traded it out several years ago. It was Singer's last version of a treadle, very "stripped down" and plain. It's generally referred to as a "school desk" cabinet. The machine itself is a 15-88, another favorite of quilters. Great machines.

I have a similar cabinet, with wooden straight legs. It has a bigger wheel than most, and is my favorite cabinet to sew at. I drop different heads--201, 15-88, Necchi BU, Japanese Class 15--into the cabinet, depending on what I'm sewing and which machine likes me the best.

wvdek 06-12-2010 05:28 PM

Dunster, I do hope you refinish your cabinet and stool. I would love to have this style because it is right up my alley so to speak. Have a chair and some very traditional furniture it would look great with. :roll:

You will enjoy it when it is done. Oh, and your machine is great, too.

Lostn51 06-12-2010 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by frostiedee
The patent date is 1886. i know that does not mean it was made that year. The singer machine is in a cabinet and is not a full size. How hard is it to find parts for the new Home. The arm is broken to the Treadle wheel. I have ask that they come down on the price. Waiting to hear from them. I love this web site. I read this daily. Keep up the good work.
Frostiedee

If the pitman arm is broken it is not going to be easy to find but the question I have is it wood or is it the metal one. If its a wooden one you might could make one for it.

And your right the patent date does not really mean when it was made just when it received the patent.

So I would low ball the guy and see if he takes the offer. I have a New Home Treadle that has the wooden pitman arm that I will have to make one to fit. I might do a tutorial on the restoration of the treadle and making the pitman arm.

Billy

Lostn51 06-12-2010 06:10 PM

I believe that BKinCO has one just like this one! Go back about 8 or 10 pages and you will see hers. This is not just any old post war Japanese machine.....

Billy

frostiedee 06-12-2010 06:12 PM

The pitman arm is metal, while I am a welder I can get close enough to the machine to tell just what the problem is, thanks for your input.