Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Jory 09-19-2011 08:44 AM

Bobbins for vintage machines

Can someone help me understand the bobbins that are used in different "old" Singers?

I am especially interested in what kind of bobbin fits a 301 and a featherweight, and how to know which bobbins are used for which machines.

Pix would be fabulous, but anything would help!

Thanks,
Jory

vintagemotif 09-19-2011 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by jljack

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Originally Posted by jljack
I won a 15 clone on shopgoodwill.com on Friday, and can't wait to get it home. It says Sew Ezy or something like that. I didn't look at it today! :-)

Congrats!!!! You got your 15 and a clone one at that!!! What ya going to call it? Ezzy, Sewzy...

I looked at the pic again, and it does say Sew Ezy...So, I kinda like the Sewzy (pronounced Suzy?). I'll have to ask my grandaughter what she thinks, since she already named my FW.

I got out the 1950 128 yesterday and messed around with it. She was bone dry, so I oiled and oiled and turned the handwheel. The electric cords are good, so I plugged her in and she ran OK, good stitch, but still really noisy and "gummy" feeling. I'll let the oil sit for a couple of days and run her again. She has the shuttle bobbin, so I had to get out the instructions to see how to do it. Never did one before....quite an experience!!

I got out my 99 handcrank (new handcrank conversion) to try to find the "rubbing" sound. It was the front edge of the face plate pushed in slightly, and the takeup lever was rubbing it near the bottom of each stroke. So I used a small screwdriver to put some pressure on the edge of the faceplate, and it straightened right out. No more rubbing, and it runs so quiet it's amazing!! I sewed on her last night for a while...great!!

Then....I got brave and got out my ruffler for my 301, and tried that. It worked!! Amazing! Can you oil the attachments? The ruffler seems like it's really stiff. I have to read up on all the other adjusting pieces on it, too, because the 2nd time I put it on it didn't work the same...??? Anyway, it's really cool!!

Way fun weekend!! Playing with the machines, cleaning them, oiling and running them. Checking everything out....I'm loving this!! :-)

Yup, Sewzy as in Suzy!

Link to how to wind a shuttle bobbin Donna Kohler:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOu4-...eature=related

And:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFQ6fTVnkT0

And we can't forget MUV's video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4PhA...eature=related

At the end of Donna Kohler's, it shows how to bypass and do it manually if the winder isn't putting the thread on evenly.

deplaylady 09-19-2011 08:55 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Help! I bought a 603 last week and just got a chance to sew (try to sew) with it yesterday. The problem seems to be that the reel holder (black part) won't hold the reel wind (the thing that holds the bobbin) down for more than a few stitches. It also makes it almost impossible to wind a bobbin. The whole assembly jumps up after a few stitches. I think I'm missing a part - but I'm not sure what. I got it mostly because it could do a chainstitch, those parts I got on eBay, hopefully I'll still be able to do that, but it would be nice to sew, too. Is there anything I can do? I really don't trust the sewing machine shop I took my featherweight to. Here's a couple pictures - any Touch and Sew wizards out there? (Yep - I know the bobbin is wonky, but I don't think that would raise the assembly - it's really loose to begin with.)

Weedwoman 09-19-2011 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Help! I bought a 603 last week and just got a chance to sew (try to sew) with it yesterday. The problem seems to be that the reel holder (black part) won't hold the reel wind (the thing that holds the bobbin) down for more than a few stitches. It also makes it almost impossible to wind a bobbin. The whole assembly jumps up after a few stitches. I think I'm missing a part - but I'm not sure what. I got it mostly because it could do a chainstitch, those parts I got on eBay, hopefully I'll still be able to do that, but it would be nice to sew, too. Is there anything I can do? I really don't trust the sewing machine shop I took my featherweight to. Here's a couple pictures - any Touch and Sew wizards out there? (Yep - I know the bobbin is wonky, but I don't think that would raise the assembly - it's really loose to begin with.)

I have a touch and sew 626 and I love that old machine altho otherson this group hate the touch and sews, each to his own. Here is a site that might help. my bobbin winding assembly is a tad different that your 603. http://www.sewusa.com/Threading_Diag...ng_diagram.htm

deplaylady 09-19-2011 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman

I have a touch and sew 626 and I love that old machine altho otherson this group hate the touch and sews, each to his own. Here is a site that might help. my bobbin winding assembly is a tad different that your 603. http://www.sewusa.com/Threading_Diag...ng_diagram.htm

I followed that the other day and I can get it to wind, but I think its missing something to hold it in place --- I just can't figure it out from the parts diagram.

vintagemotif 09-19-2011 09:41 AM

I say Touch and Throw..There are better machines out there to use that produce much prettier stitches than this machine.

It's a fun machine to play with once, but only once.

Don't you own a 401 or a Rocketeer? Neechis are very nice machines too!!!

vintagemotif 09-19-2011 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jory
Bobbins for vintage machines

Can someone help me understand the bobbins that are used in different "old" Singers?

I am especially interested in what kind of bobbin fits a 301 and a featherweight, and how to know which bobbins are used for which machines.

Pix would be fabulous, but anything would help!

Thanks,
Jory

Both use same bobbins.

Did you do a goggle search for FW bobbins?

Here is the link for your info:
http://www.april1930s.com/html/singe...bobbins__.html

Jory 09-19-2011 10:19 AM

Thanks so much! :thumbup:

What a great site, too: I clearly have lots to learn!! Maybe I'll lurk around here for awhile!

Jory

deplaylady 09-19-2011 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

I say Touch and Throw..There are better machines out there to use that produce much prettier stitches than this machine.

It's a fun machine to play with once, but only once.

Don't you own a 401 or a Rocketeer? Neechis are very nice machines too!!!

Yep, I have a 401. I wanted to have this one for the chainstitching ability. The stitches it makes before it stops are really good - other than the chain stitch, I had hoped to be able to have it as an extra when I have extra people around sewing. Sometimes I have 7 - 10 sewing machines going in the sewing room at the same time.

grayhare 09-19-2011 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Davis VF is MINE!!!!!! They accepted my offer of.... $50!! I'll get in touch with the lady that has it later today and make arrangements to pick up the machine either this evening or tomorrow morning!!

~spinning in my chair~ YEEEEEEEEEEHAWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! :lol:

Congratulations!!! I can't wait to see some pictures.