Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

miriam 10-31-2011 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by mamajack3
I just got the cutest little machine. It is about the size of a featherweight. It has 99 k on it. I looked up the serial # and it was made in 1956. Does anyone out there know anything about these little machines? Value maybe? It is in excellent condition. Thanks in advance.

not particularly valuable. Nice little machine. Heavy. Do you need a manual? http://www.ismacs.net/free-sewing-ma...uals-list.html I have one

pumpkinpatchquilter 10-31-2011 03:38 AM

Have any of you rewired your machines with success? Is this something I could do safely myself or am I better off paying a professional to do that? I just bought a Singer 15-91 that has cracked rubber wiring. It runs fine and the light works but the rubber casing enclosing the wiring that runs from the motor to where the power cord plugs in is cracked.

pumpkinpatchquilter 10-31-2011 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
This evening while having dinner at church, my DH's good friend, his GF and I were talking. After talking aabout all the snow everyone had, I made mention that because of all the power outages, that that is why I want a treadle sewing machine so I can keep on sewing.

DH's friend says, "I have one up at the house you can have". What! Be still my heart. "What brand is it"? "I don't know. It has a wooden case with several drawers chock full of old buttons and stuff and has a goofy looking rounded top that removes". "Oh, a coffin top". "Yeah, it does look like that". "

I'm going up tomorrow to loook at it. Either way, he is giving it to me and I will take it. I did ask him if he wanted me to make him a quilt and he reminded me I had already made him a fleece blanket that he uses all the time. (He and my DH made me a solid wood porch swing out of old school wooden (mostly oak with a nice piece of wormy chestnut) tongue and groove flooring boards. I made him the blanket as a thank you.)

I asked him if he wanted a valance made for his great room window. He said as long as it has black bears, pine trees, and pinecones, I could do anything I wanted. Woohoo!
I can only hope it is a gem. Will let ya'all know.

Aren't you the lucky one! ;) Can't wait to see pictures...the anticipation of finding out what it is must be as much fun as knowing you're getting a new machine.

miriam 10-31-2011 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
Have any of you rewired your machines with success? Is this something I could do safely myself or am I better off paying a professional to do that? I just bought a Singer 15-91 that has cracked rubber wiring. It runs fine and the light works but the rubber casing enclosing the wiring that runs from the motor to where the power cord plugs in is cracked.

DH does mine. The older machines aren't too hard. My BIL shrink wraps wires.

pumpkinpatchquilter 10-31-2011 03:50 AM

I am new to all of this, so if I am about to make myself sound like a total dummy, please forgive me in advance. LOL* I see here you used Bar Keepers Friend to polish the metal, is that a lot different than Comet powder cleanser? Is there any reason I couldn't just use comet on the metal? It does say it cleans stainless steel...thanks! Lol*

Originally Posted by jljack

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by jljack
I have been working on my Davis since late afternoon. I took a bunch of pics during the process.

Looking good!!!

Before long you will be making a quilt on it. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Billy

Thanks, Billy. It was fun to do. I used Barkeepers Friend to clean all the metal. It worked like magic!! Think I'll put some Turtle Wax on her to help keep the finish intact. It's pretty bad, and I don't want it to deteriorate any further.

pumpkinpatchquilter 10-31-2011 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by miriam

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter

DH does mine. The older machines aren't too hard. My BIL shrink wraps wires.

Oh wow - is your Husband good with electric? I'm wondering just how difficult a sewing machine must be. I mean, I'm not like, rewiring a house or anything. But at the same time, I often think those types of things, then get myself into a whole world of mess when I actually take on the project that "couldn't possibly be THAT hard." Lol*

Your BIL wraps the cracked rubber or the actual electrical wires? I suppose on my machine it isn't all that bad, I could probably leave it, but at some point if I can actually get it fixed up nice and neat I think I'll want to tackle that wire so it looks nice and neat too. But right now it's not really hurting anything.

miriam 10-31-2011 03:57 AM

I'm not sure how BIL does it - they live in Arizona and I'm in Indianapolis. DH pulls out the old wires and puts in new ones. He's done it on several. He has been doing electrical work for over 30 years so I don't ask questions unless I want to have to do it. I'm happy as a clam he will do it. I think there is info on sew-classic on wiring and you can buy wires from her.

pumpkinpatchquilter 10-31-2011 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
I'm not sure how BIL does it - they live in Arizona and I'm in Indianapolis. DH pulls out the old wires and puts in new ones. He's done it on several. He has been doing electrical work for over 30 years so I don't ask questions unless I want to have to do it. I'm happy as a clam he will do it. I think there is info on sew-classic on wiring and you can buy wires from her.

Oh you are very lucky :) My Grandfather was an electrician but he has now passed so it looks as though I'm on my own. Thank you for the info though, I will check out Sew-Classic.

BoJangles 10-31-2011 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
This evening while having dinner at church, my DH's good friend, his GF and I were talking. After talking aabout all the snow everyone had, I made mention that because of all the power outages, that that is why I want a treadle sewing machine so I can keep on sewing.

DH's friend says, "I have one up at the house you can have". What! Be still my heart. "What brand is it"? "I don't know. It has a wooden case with several drawers chock full of old buttons and stuff and has a goofy looking rounded top that removes". "Oh, a coffin top". "Yeah, it does look like that". "

I'm going up tomorrow to loook at it. Either way, he is giving it to me and I will take it. I did ask him if he wanted me to make him a quilt and he reminded me I had already made him a fleece blanket that he uses all the time. (He and my DH made me a solid wood porch swing out of old school wooden (mostly oak with a nice piece of wormy chestnut) tongue and groove flooring boards. I made him the blanket as a thank you.)

I asked him if he wanted a valance made for his great room window. He said as long as it has black bears, pine trees, and pinecones, I could do anything I wanted. Woohoo!
I can only hope it is a gem. Will let ya'all know.

Wvdek, how exciting - please post a picture when you get it, but you better wait until after tomorrow when our new system for this shop is up!

Nancy

quiltdoctor 10-31-2011 04:48 AM

Anybody want a bubblegum pink machine???

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/atq/2677383204.html

Texas Jan