Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

jlhmnj 11-13-2011 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 4673680)
Jon I agree it looks like an industrial machine - tailor's machine/sweat shop machine? It is similar to the industrial Singer's, but different too. No this is a treadle, and from looking at the treadle it is made similar to Singer's straight leg treadle so I'd guess this machine from the 1930 to maybe late 40's? I have a Singer 15-88 with the straight leg treadle similar, but much smaller than this treadle. The treadle is much larger than your normal treadle - it takes a 75" belt and you know that with most treadle you buy the standard 72" belt and have to cut it down! It is a very interesting machine - has the knee pressure foot lift so who ever was using the machine didn't have to move their hands to turn something - very efficient! It also has reverse which means it pretty much had to be made later than 1930! I send an e-mail the Hitachi asking what years they made sewing machines so I could date this machine and got back an answer that they never made sewing machines! The needles I just mentioned because they are from Japan not here, which means a Japanese family sent them to someone here or the machine came over from Japan! There is absolutely no information on this machine that I can find anywhere!

Nancy

Finding the maker of this machine would be similar to finding the maker of a "Japanese Clone" I would imagine. Great machine, this is too nice and a little light for factory work, probably used by skilled pro without AC or just preferred treddlin. Jon
Jon

miriam 11-13-2011 08:20 AM

my machine has gone wonky on this board - I wonder if it is the board

Candace 11-13-2011 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 4671232)
Glad to have you around! Just be careful not to get any sewing machine oil on your hands, it gets in your blood and then you will want to start fixing sewing machines. The next thing you know you won't have any room to move around in your house.

That's my problem, then. Thank you for the diagnosis!

miriam 11-13-2011 09:17 AM

Does anybody in the Indianapolis area (or you can drive) need a Singer Featherweight or Singer 301 tune up/clean up? I am offering to do it for free so I can make a tutorial. PM if you are interested.

miriam 11-13-2011 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 4673865)
That's my problem, then. Thank you for the diagnosis!

I fear that it is highly contagious... it may be possible to get it just from reading this post.

justtrish 11-13-2011 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 4673929)
I fear that it is highly contagious... it may be possible to get it just from reading this post.

Yes, that is what happened to me!

Stopped in to ask a simple question, 10+ machines later. I asked my question in June or July.... :)

Weedwoman 11-13-2011 09:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Pics of Singer 201 (hopefully)

miriam 11-13-2011 09:49 AM

It is nice to get a good one isn't it - I still like to go over them, then use them for a project - that's when I find stuff I missed.

Celeste 11-13-2011 01:31 PM

double post..

miriam 11-13-2011 02:05 PM

Vaccination might work at least for a while - you just put your finger over that little hole where the needle goes in the machine and then run the machine..... it can easily be done by accident....