Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

miriam 12-12-2011 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett (Post 4776305)
Sew Classic is probably getting a lot of traffic today! :) I found the reviews of different machines to be helpful: http://blog.sew-classic.com/categori...e-reviews.aspx

If I find one reasonably priced, I might just have to pick one of them up. Everyone is making them sound so good! The "modern" styling might be growing on me, just wish they were some other color than tan--always seemed kind of blah.

Bennett, I'm partial to the 403 but it's just me... I think they thought the tan was easier on the eye than the black - more modern?

Candace 12-12-2011 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by sew wishful (Post 4776166)
Sooo....or seeeewwwwww.....what is the difference between the 301, 401, 501, 402, 403 and 503 machines??? Does each one use cams? Did each one have an added feature? There is a 402 in a cabinet for sale on our local "for sale" group and I didn't even know they made a 402!! Just trying to sort out these models and if I truly still want a 301 or would something else be just as nice. I already have a 401. Thanks for any help.

If you read through this thread, all the above questions have been answered.

Charlee 12-12-2011 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett (Post 4776305)
Sew Classic is probably getting a lot of traffic today! :) I found the reviews of different machines to be helpful: http://blog.sew-classic.com/categori...e-reviews.aspx

If I find one reasonably priced, I might just have to pick one of them up. Everyone is making them sound so good! The "modern" styling might be growing on me, just wish they were some other color than tan--always seemed kind of blah.

Adding: Looks like I was slow on the draw. :) Very informative post Miriam, I think I missed that one.

I'm with ya Bennett! I never wanted one of these machines before. They weren't black, they weren't "old enough" and I didn't see anything pretty about them. (still don't! :D ) But when this one was available, I HAD to have it! Couldn't tell you why...I just did...

miriam 12-12-2011 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 4776392)
I'm with ya Bennett! I never wanted one of these machines before. They weren't black, they weren't "old enough" and I didn't see anything pretty about them. (still don't! :D ) But when this one was available, I HAD to have it! Couldn't tell you why...I just did...

You'll love it once you start using it. You are right they aren't all that cute looking - beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... I think the insides are what make that machine beautiful. It is all machine work. Very well made. NOTHING like it these days.

Charlee 12-12-2011 05:27 PM

Oh, I'm excited to have her, and disappointed that I can't just sit and play with her RIGHT NOW! LOL But Saturday nite there will be about 18 people in the house, and I really don't want them to see how I *really* live, so am dashing around and cleaning!! :D

miriam 12-12-2011 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 4776527)
Oh, I'm excited to have her, and disappointed that I can't just sit and play with her RIGHT NOW! LOL But Saturday nite there will be about 18 people in the house, and I really don't want them to see how I *really* live, so am dashing around and cleaning!! :D

mine needs a bulldozer.... and a dumpster.....

sew wishful 12-12-2011 06:11 PM

Okay..I did some research thanks to you all and why her manual says 402 is a mystery. She is selling a 403. It sews nicely she said....it belonged to her daughter and she wanted a more modern machine, so mom is trying to sell the "old one". She hasn't given a price online yet, but I've asked. Why oh, why, I don't know. I DON'T WANT ANOTHER MACHINE!!! I did enjoy seeing the differences in the machine on the links you all posted. Thanks a million for your help!!

miriam 12-12-2011 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by sew wishful (Post 4776652)
Okay..I did some research thanks to you all and why her manual says 402 is a mystery. She is selling a 403. It sews nicely she said....it belonged to her daughter and she wanted a more modern machine, so mom is trying to sell the "old one". She hasn't given a price online yet, but I've asked. Why oh, why, I don't know. I DON'T WANT ANOTHER MACHINE!!! I did enjoy seeing the differences in the machine on the links you all posted. Thanks a million for your help!!

If she is willing to sell that 403 you should buy it. Those are nice. She is crazy. LOL I have a slant-0-matic sitting on CL doesn't move - too many people think those stupid plastic machines do more I guess.

sew wishful 12-12-2011 06:33 PM

I have no more room for machines in cabinets. I'm feeling a bit claustrophobic....gonna have to bust out one of these days. I could sell the 401 and have room. But it is a good machine too! LOL! I'd sure buy it for one of you gals/guys, though. Let me know.

Candace 12-12-2011 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 4776693)
If she is willing to sell that 403 you should buy it. Those are nice. She is crazy. LOL I have a slant-0-matic sitting on CL doesn't move - too many people think those stupid plastic machines do more I guess.

Just to put this in perspective...there was a local CL ad requesting a cheap, good working, sewing machine. I responded telling the person I'd sell her my 1970's Japanese made machine for $25. It has about 7 stitches on it and sews well. She replied somewhat rudely the next day, that "someone has offered her a MUCH newer machine for the same price and she'd prefer to sew on a newer machine vs. old." Bet she chose the cheapo-big-box-store brand, that's near it's end of life, over the one I had offered. Whatever!