Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Glenn 01-08-2012 04:12 PM

Thank you Miriam for the nice words. The scones are the best I have ever eaten. Phil can cook!!! You still can't treadle:D

Crossstitcher 01-08-2012 04:25 PM

Miriam, Glad you and your Hubby are haveing a good time. Just wanted to let you know the plug worked. I now have a nice machine. I'll be talking with you again when you get back to IN. Hope you can soak up a lot of sunshine.

crewsemj 01-08-2012 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 4855923)
Thank you Miriam for the nice words. The scones are the best I have ever eaten. Phil can cook!!! You still can't treadle:D

First of all "Thank You for you service". Read your profile and since loosing our grandson over there, people who are in or have been in the service mean so much more to me.

Now to why I'm responding to this: How about instructions or a video on how to treadle the "right" way before I pick up to many bad habits!! LOL

BoJangles 01-08-2012 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by crewsemj (Post 4856048)
First of all "Thank You for you service". Read your profile and since loosing our grandson over there, people who are in or have been in the service mean so much more to me.

Now to why I'm responding to this: How about instructions or a video on how to treadle the "right" way before I pick up to many bad habits!! LOL

Ok you guys I had a terrible time learning to treadle - because I was doing it all wrong. My DH treadled right away - burned me up! Anyway, your right foot should be completely on the treadle pedal and only your left toe! Your feet work together in that fashion with both going at the same time in rythm. Once I learned to only put the toe of my left foot on the treadle and all of my right foot - it became very easy! Then of course there are those among us who use one foot - Sharon are you one of those!

The main thing is get a rythm going Miriam and practice practice practice!

Nancy

BoJangles 01-08-2012 04:57 PM

[QUOTE=Glenn;4855803]

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 4855774)
Hi everybody - I'm vacationing in Florida for a little while - got almost to our destination a couple minutes ago. I stopped and saw Glen in Alabama - he showed us his treasure - Pat is a real gem. We messed around with a few sewing machines. Glen says I can't treadle worth a darn - it was sort of like falling off a bike. One day I will learn - When you treadle do you use your heels or your toes? I have an old ankle injury that may be getting in my way. We also figured out how to hand crank a 319. Thanks for letting us stop by, Glen & Pat.

Thank you, We had a wonderful time with Miriam and Phil. Phil made a batch of scones with Pat while Miriam and I played with the machines. They were the best. Thank you Miriam and Phil for the little gift you left by the bed. A great big thank you for the disk for the 319. You really needed to stay one more day so we could talk machines and Pat and Phil could do the cooking LOL. Looking forward to our next visit.:thumbup: Yes and I am going to turn the 319 into a HC, but I can treadle!!!!! You guys have fun on your vacation. Glenn and Pat.

Glenn why do you want to turn the 319 into a handcrank? That machine makes such a great treadle! I would think it would be harder to keep an even stitch hand cranking a decorative stitch. Treadling is easy to get into a rythm!

Nancy

BoJangles 01-08-2012 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 4855900)
Notice Glen is gloating about the fact that HE can treadle and I can't seem to manage it - I really do fumble with the treadling - any advice would be appreciated... those scones reheat too... Phil makes them over a camp fire in Florida - he might burn one batch out of a hundred. He is really good at it. Oh and you all should see Glen's kitchen!!! it is old and new merged and lots of eye candy everywhere - Pat and Glen have collected the neatest old cooking things, too.

I'm jealous - those scones sound delicious!

I miss Billy jumping in and out of the shop! I hope he changes his mind!

Nancy

BoJangles 01-08-2012 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Hollyann (Post 4855512)
Hello All,
I'm new to the board but very excited because although I have sewn for many years I have just recently picked up a 1904 Standard Hygienic central needle treadle sewing machine. I took the day cleaning her up and she sews beautifully! I am excited to start quilting and learning from you all. Thank you for your time, I will look forward to chatting.
Hollyann

Hollyann, we'd like to see a picture of the Standard! Welcome aboard!

Nancy

BoJangles 01-08-2012 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 4854822)

Monica, I saw that ad! Too cute!

Nancy

Glenn 01-08-2012 05:06 PM

Nancy, I have no problem treadleing the 319, Miriam wanted to know if it can be done and yes we figured it can. It is a option if you wanted to HC the 319. Now in reality I will most likely not turn it into a HC but it will be fun to play with it as a HC. But for me to use the decorative stitches I would always treadle, I have more control over these stitches.

vintagemotif 01-08-2012 05:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just treadle with my feet side by side. My Two Spools treadle is the feet type pedal. I guess I got use to treadling with my feet this way; so now I treadle with my feet side by side.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]301528[/ATTACH]