Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Bennett 01-08-2012 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by quilt addict (Post 4854283)
I am not suppose to be buying. But I finally got a machine that didn't need any work to use. Elna Supermatic in good condition. Has most all the feet and 17 decorative stitch disks. Nice to have a machine that can clean and get working in one evening. It is an electric but now I have something that does decorative stitches. It is really a quiet machine too. Just had to oil and adjust the tension. It does have alot of nicks on the front of the pillar. Not sure how that would happen.

Very nice! I have one, but haven't used it yet since it's waiting patiently until I want to try to replace the motor pulley. They look like very solid machines. :)

BoJangles 01-08-2012 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by quilt addict (Post 4854283)
I am not suppose to be buying. But I finally got a machine that didn't need any work to use.

Elna Supermatic in good condition. Has most all the feet and 17 decorative stitch disks. Nice to have a machine that can clean and get working in one evening. It is an electric but now I have something that does decorative stitches. It is really a quiet machine too. Just had to oil and adjust the tension. It does have alot of nicks on the front of the pillar. Not sure how that would happen.

Serial number 5753062, I think that means it was a 1955 machine.

Wow Lisa! I love the green machine! Congratulations!

Nancy

vintagemotif 01-08-2012 10:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Too sweet!! Check out the sewing machine: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tag/2778034829.html

[ATTACH=CONFIG]301393[/ATTACH]

buslady 01-08-2012 12:29 PM

I got a nice looking Elna given to me, found a pc of nylon gear in the bottom, I guess there is a gear in it known to break. I bought a repair manual, now just need to find time to figure it out and make the repair.

Celeste 01-08-2012 01:13 PM

Oooh, that hurts!

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 4853560)

Hollyann 01-08-2012 02:00 PM

Hello All,
I'm new to the board but very excited because although I have sewn for many years I have just recently picked up a 1904 Standard Hygienic central needle treadle sewing machine. I took the day cleaning her up and she sews beautifully! I am excited to start quilting and learning from you all. Thank you for your time, I will look forward to chatting.
Hollyann

miriam 01-08-2012 03:21 PM

Hi everybody - I'm vacationing in Florida for a little while - got almost to our destination a couple minutes ago. I stopped and saw Glen in Alabama - he showed us his treasure - Pat is a real gem. We messed around with a few sewing machines. Glen says I can't treadle worth a darn - it was sort of like falling off a bike. One day I will learn - When you treadle do you use your heels or your toes? I have an old ankle injury that may be getting in my way. We also figured out how to hand crank a 319. Thanks for letting us stop by, Glen & Pat.
Miriam

Glenn 01-08-2012 03:21 PM

[QUOTE=Hollyann;4855512]Hello All,
I'm new to the board but very excited because although I have sewn for many years I have just recently picked up a 1904 Standard Hygienic central needle treadle sewing machine. I took the day cleaning her up and she sews beautifully! I am excited to start quilting and learning from you all. Thank you for your time, I will look forward to chatting.

Welcome to the VSMS you will be able to get all the help you need here. We like to see pics of the members machines to.

Glenn 01-08-2012 03:31 PM

[QUOTE=miriam;4855774]Hi everybody - I'm vacationing in Florida for a little while - got almost to our destination a couple minutes ago. I stopped and saw Glen in Alabama - he showed us his treasure - Pat is a real gem. We messed around with a few sewing machines. Glen says I can't treadle worth a darn - it was sort of like falling off a bike. One day I will learn - When you treadle do you use your heels or your toes? I have an old ankle injury that may be getting in my way. We also figured out how to hand crank a 319. Thanks for letting us stop by, Glen & Pat.

Thank you, We had a wonderful time with Miriam and Phil. Phil made a batch of scones with Pat while Miriam and I played with the machines. They were the best. Thank you Miriam and Phil for the little gift you left by the bed. A great big thank you for the disk for the 319. You really needed to stay one more day so we could talk machines and Pat and Phil could do the cooking LOL. Looking forward to our next visit.:thumbup: Yes and I am going to turn the 319 into a HC, but I can treadle!!!!! You guys have fun on your vacation. Glenn and Pat.

miriam 01-08-2012 04:02 PM

Notice Glen is gloating about the fact that HE can treadle and I can't seem to manage it - I really do fumble with the treadling - any advice would be appreciated... those scones reheat too... Phil makes them over a camp fire in Florida - he might burn one batch out of a hundred. He is really good at it. Oh and you all should see Glen's kitchen!!! it is old and new merged and lots of eye candy everywhere - Pat and Glen have collected the neatest old cooking things, too.