Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Candace 01-09-2012 07:45 PM

Looks like I'm getting a Vintage Elna SU tomorrow. Anyone have any extra cams they'd be interested in selling or trading for??

vintagemotif 01-09-2012 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki (Post 4859343)
MY "white" featherweight is also a EY series and my original instruction book also has a copyright of 1964.. Your serial number is less than 1400 before from mine. I bought mine new on 5-2-1969. Singer stores were closing them out at a price of $88.00. Boy do I wish I had bought all of them at that price. <GG> This may be of interest: I paid $88.00 + $4.40 in taxes. Paid $12.40 down and paid $5.00 a month on "MY 1 to 36 Credit Plan Account with the Singer Company" with my mother co-signing.

From all that I have read and heard over the years, I suspect that these late serial number machines sat in a warehouse and didn't sell. So Singer unloaded them at clearance prices. Therefore, the date of mfg was after June 1965 (the EX series)and before May 1969 (my dated machine).

Cathy

I love the story of your machine, very sweet deal!- and interesting history on the FWs. I always love hearing the stories about the machines. I wish some of my machines would talk; bet they have some interesting stories to tell.

irishrose 01-09-2012 11:09 PM

[QUOTE=BoJangles;4859735]Any guesses as to what Singer this is? The table looks a lot like a FW table, but the FW tables don't have the extension leaf? Could it be a 301? I sent the owner an e-mail asking for a picture of the machine!

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/fuo/2792010857.html

Nancy

The 347 is from the 60s and is NOT a slant needle machine. Still a lot of metal parts and many are still going strong. It may all metal. I don't know when Singer started using nylon gears.

BoJangles 01-10-2012 07:05 AM

[QUOTE=irishrose;4860165]

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 4859735)
Any guesses as to what Singer this is? The table looks a lot like a FW table, but the FW tables don't have the extension leaf? Could it be a 301? I sent the owner an e-mail asking for a picture of the machine!

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/fuo/2792010857.html

Nancy

The 347 is from the 60s and is NOT a slant needle machine. Still a lot of metal parts and many are still going strong. It may all metal. I don't know when Singer started using nylon gears.

How did you know it was a 347? The guy sent me an e-mail that he had posted more pictures on the sale page, but I am not getting that? I only see a closed case?

Nancy

This is weird, when I did a re-start of my computer the added extra pictures are there. I didn't think an ad like that had to be re-freshed when a change is made to the ad. I would think everytime you go into Craigslist anything new/added would be there without having to refresh or re-start the computer? I don't understand computers sometimes!

Janis 01-10-2012 08:53 AM

Those of you that have some of the newer Singer Featherweights and others, can get a certificate from Singer with your name, the serial number of your machine and the year it was made by going to mysingerstory.com and putting in the info requested. It is a neat certificate that you can then print off.
I wasn't aware that the 221's were made after 1964. That is the date most sites on the net have as the last they were made. Is that just in the US? Does any one know why this is? Also there were some made in the 1940's that aren't listed under the 221's groups in the serial numbers. Why? I know, I'm filled with questions......

BoJangles 01-10-2012 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Janis (Post 4861269)
Those of you that have some of the newer Singer Featherweights and others, can get a certificate from Singer with your name, the serial number of your machine and the year it was made by going to mysingerstory.com and putting in the info requested. It is a neat certificate that you can then print off.
I wasn't aware that the 221's were made after 1964. That is the date most sites on the net have as the last they were made. Is that just in the US? Does any one know why this is? Also there were some made in the 1940's that aren't listed under the 221's groups in the serial numbers. Why? I know, I'm filled with questions......

Interesting Janis isn't it? I have 5 FW's the oldest is 1935, and two made in 1964. In reading the book "The Perfect Portable" Nancy Johnson-Srebro has the FW dates from 1933, when they were introduced to 1970-72. The book is really interesting reading if you are interested in the FW. There is one section that talks about the black FW being phased out in 1962. There were new models sold after 1962, but they were no longer produced at the Clydebank factory - they couldn't give the black ones away. That is when Singer started production of the beige FW's which only lasted a couple years, then the whitish one which lasted until they were phased out completely by 1970-72. Does anyone on here have a white FW dated later than mine - 1964. There is a quote in her book from a Singer salesman who started working for Singer in 1967 and found he couldn't give a black 221 away. He said he took over a shop in Vermont and when he went down to the cellar, it was full of black 221's - 25 to 30 machines. He could sell the white ones for $129.50, but was always trying to sell the black ones for $59!

Quilter7x 01-10-2012 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 4853560)

Oh my goodness, that is awful, just awful.

Charlee, I talked to Guy the other day. He's sending me a foot pedal and some bobbins for my Kenmore 158.14101. I told him you sent me to him! :thumbup:

BoJangles 01-10-2012 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 4861461)
Does anyone on here have a white FW dated later than mine - 1964? There is a quote in her book from a Singer salesman who started working for Singer in 1967 and found he couldn't give a black 221 away. He said he took over a shop in Vermont and when he went down to the cellar, it was full of black 221's - 25 to 30 machines. He could sell the white ones for $129.50, but was always trying to sell the black ones for $59!

I guess, I should have said "Does anyone have a white FW dated after 1964 that we know by Singer records is later than 1964?" Since Nancy's book says the 'EY' series is from 1966 - 1968, we have decided both Penni's, and Cathy's are in that time frame, but Singer has no records listed for the 'EY' to authenticate those dates?

Nancy

chris_quilts 01-10-2012 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 4859836)
Chris several of us on the board have a Free # 5. They take a regular 15x1 needle. Nancy

Nancy, Your Free is just beautiful and thanks for the information. The Free that I looked at (I think it is the one) has a round turning knob above the presser foot to release the foot. I was wondering if there are still attachmenbts available for that type of release sytem? I mean the machine does come with one foot but more is always better. Thanks in advance. ~ Chris

deplaylady 01-10-2012 11:59 AM

I am looking at a listing on CL, and assuming this Red Eye is still available - would it be a good candidate for a motorectomy and a hand crank? I would still want to find a better base. What would be a good offer for it? (They said they are open to offers)
http://rochester.craigslist.org/atq/2732838452.html