Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Charlee 02-24-2012 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose (Post 5004801)
Another question - How do you pack a 29 pound machine with a bentwood case for shipping? I feel like I have too many machines, but I doubt if there is a market locally for my blackside 128.

Remove it from the case and ship them seperately. Remove the spool pin from the machine and use painter's tape to tape it to the machine. Wrap the machine with something to prevent scratches. Pack around the machine tightly with wadded paper. Don't bother with peanuts or bubble wrap. If you do, the weight of the machine will allow it to shift in the box and it WILL punch a hole in the box.
The case I would think you could wrap in bubble wrap..it's considerably lighter and won't have the tendency to shift like the machine would.

jljack 02-24-2012 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5004845)
Remove it from the case and ship them seperately. Remove the spool pin from the machine and use painter's tape to tape it to the machine. Wrap the machine with something to prevent scratches. Pack around the machine tightly with wadded paper. Don't bother with peanuts or bubble wrap. If you do, the weight of the machine will allow it to shift in the box and it WILL punch a hole in the box.
The case I would think you could wrap in bubble wrap..it's considerably lighter and won't have the tendency to shift like the machine would.

That is PERFECT packing instructions!! You can do both together if you pack around the machine inside the case. I've gotten 2 packed like that and they did fine. But you have to wrap the machine really well with bubble wrap, put the lid on, strap it around with blue painters tape really well...like 3 times around in 3 places...wrap the whole case in bubble wrap, then put it in the box and pack paper tightly wadded up all around, over and under it so it doesn't shift. I got one that was thrown in a box with loose paper...amazingly it got only 1 small hole poked in the top from the spool pin and a crack in the joint of the base. The whole thing was rattling around inside the box when I got it!!!

Glenn 02-24-2012 02:32 PM

Ww8

1 Attachment(s)
I posted some advice on things to consider before shipping a machine across country for cleaning and repair. For those who are interested it is Main section on the 3rd or 4th page. I want to show the drawers I made for the Wheeler and Wilson #8 cabinet that were missing . I made them out of some scrape wood I had in the shop.

Glenn 02-24-2012 02:33 PM

As you can see I still have veneer to patch on top edge.

vintagemotif 02-24-2012 02:49 PM

You can also double box for shipping.

vintagemotif 02-24-2012 02:50 PM

Glenn, Your drawers are beautiful!!!!! I love the drawer pulls that you put on them too!

Glenn 02-24-2012 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 5005070)
Glenn, Your drawers are beautiful!!!!! I love the drawer pulls that you put on them too!

Thank you. I have a bunch of hardware from my furniture restoration business that I have collected thru the years. They do come in handy sometimes don't they? Although I don't have the business anymore, I like retirement and camping plus playing with these old machines better now. By the way I am still working on the Alamo quilt.

vintagemotif 02-24-2012 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 5005091)
Thank you. I have a bunch of hardware from my furniture restoration business that I have collected thru the years. They do come in handy sometimes don't they? Although I don't have the business anymore, I like retirement and camping plus playing with these old machines better now. By the way I am still working on the Alamo quilt.

You should post your progress on the quilt. I would love to see it!
Lucky for you that you have a stash of vintage hardware. Those items can be very expensive. :)

Charlee 02-24-2012 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 5005070)

Ok...I'm sorry!! :D :D :D I'm being naughty, I know, but I nearly fell off my chair laughing! My first thought was, "Glenn's showing his drawers to Monica!!" :shock: (because I came to the end of the thread first)

Those drawers DID turn out beautiful tho!! :)

quiltdoctor 02-24-2012 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5003742)
OK Jan now I am inspired! My DH brought home a Minnesota H treadle yesterday that he picked up for $20 while he and his Dad were ought and about! The treadle is not in really bad shape, a little veneer missing as usual and a wheel missing on the treadle, but the machine looks like the before of your machine! I looked at it and thought, geeze, do I want to even try to tackle this one? I have restored plenty of machines, but not without damaging their decals - so I am going to try again because of you! I am not sure whether I should thank you or scream at you for giving me another 'job' to do! I guess I will wait until I am done and see how it came out! Then I may hug you!

Nancy

Ah Nancy you can do it !!! If you have questions, just give me a shout!! Let me know before you start and maybe we can chat awhile on specifics.

Texas jan