Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

J Miller 03-06-2012 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5037084)
My Singer 500 donor would have had to had another Singer 500 donor in order to fix it up anyway. I have used the needle bar, the throat plate, the slide plate, the slide plate spring, the bobbin holder, the stitch selector shaft, the bobbin holder spring, a stitch selector screw, the nose door, hinge pieces off the top door, spool holders, the balance wheel, the motor, bobbin winder parts, light parts, cords were shot, foot pedal, rubber feet from the bottom, one machine needed the bottom plate, the body of this machine was/is in terrible shape and the gears were rusted pretty bad. I still have perfectly good parts on that machine. Sure it could have been fixed up. This machine has helped me repair many machines - I would have spent a lot of money on line for those parts - a whole lot more than the $10 or $20 I spent on that ugly machine. So yeah, I did specialize in the slant-o-matics for a long time. I've wanted a 99 for parts for a while but I can't bring my self to part out any I've found - they have all been repairable. I have a Universal 15 clone that was in a flood and needs either some parts or to be parted out. I can't bear to part it out just yet. Maybe another one will come in worse shape and I can take parts off of it and fix it.... Anybody else do that?

So, what parts do you need for a 99K? I have one too that I've got to replace parts on. I need the oscillating hook, thread take-up lever and the feed dog screw. Or the feed dog and screw.
Other than that, oh and no motor or electrics, it's complete.

One more question while I'm keyboarding ...... On our 401A when we set the top tension the vibration of the machine will cause the adjuster to loosen up. Any tips on fixing that? It's kinda hard to sew when the tension changes by itself.

Joe

vintagemotif 03-06-2012 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5037263)

Pretty much sums up my day... how was yours???

No machines for me. I've just been paper piecing my state stars (BOM 50 Fab stars) today since I'm trying to catch up. Tonight is Alaska and may be tomorrow Hawaii (that be a cool trip). I stop every so often to check in here to see the latest. It's getting so busy with lots of new threads on vintage machines on QB that I can't keep up with all those other threads and get my sewing/quilting done. And I'm trying to stay off CL, just want to enjoy the machines I have for now.

grayhare 03-06-2012 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 5034887)
Anamaria, Are you going to the Turlock TOGA this weekend?

I am so sad, I am not going to make it to the Turlock TOGA. You will have to tell me all about it. Have fun!!

vintagemotif 03-06-2012 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5037409)

One more question while I'm keyboarding ...... On our 401A when we set the top tension the vibration of the machine will cause the adjuster to loosen up. Any tips on fixing that? It's kinda hard to sew when the tension changes by itself.

Joe

That's interesting. Have your tried widening the space on the pin screw that all the tension disc slide into? just enough to make it a bit tight to screw the last part of the tension set, the tension dial.

vintagemotif 03-06-2012 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by grayhare (Post 5037426)
I am so sad, I am not going to make it to the Turlock TOGA. You will have to tell me all about it. Have fun!!

You will be missed!

grayhare 03-06-2012 05:41 PM

This CL sewing machine looks very nice, I had to post the link if anyone is interested. I already have a Red Eye treadle, but I am still tempted!!
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2862844674.html

Charlee 03-06-2012 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by grayhare (Post 5037426)

I don't get to go this time either...but maybe the next time!!

vintagemotif 03-06-2012 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5037458)
I don't get to go this time either...but maybe the next time!!

One day there should be a larger gathering along route 5 (Harris Ranch area) where everyone from up north to southern CA could meet for a two day machine/quilt fest.

Charlee, you will be missed too!

miriam 03-06-2012 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 5037492)
One day there should be a larger gathering along route 5 (Harris Ranch area) where everyone from up north to southern CA could meet for a two day machine/quilt fest.

Charlee, you will be missed too!

WAH I may be a super member but my super cape isn't working.........

vintagemotif 03-06-2012 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5037500)
WAH I may be a super member but my super cape isn't working.........

Miriam, You will also be missed.:)