Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

vintagemotif 03-12-2012 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 5053125)
Now, I do NOT need a whole collection. But, this is near me! http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAUTIFUL-DO...#ht_500wt_1221

Wow....

So the entire collections starting bid is at $100. Or is it just the one spool holder? And location is in Sacramento, CA? It looks like a museum. I didn't know there was a museum like this in Sacramento.

Candace 03-12-2012 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 5053167)
I thought you fixed your own machines? What machine did you send off? And why?

I fix my vintage machines myself, but this was a Pfaff that I didn't feel comfortable tackling. It has a circuit board and I don't have the right tools for it. I researched the repair person and found only positives. His estimate was far below anything I could have gotten locally. I doubt my local place would have even been able to repair it, actually. So, now I wait....and hope:<

Candace 03-12-2012 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 5053198)
So the entire collections starting bid is at $100. Or is it just the one spool holder? And location is in Sacramento, CA? It looks like a museum. I didn't know there was a museum like this in Sacramento.

Just the one spool holder is being auctioned, but it sounds like the seller will be selling/auctioning the collection. I sent him/her an e-mail asking. It DOES look like a museum, but it's a private collection. There's nothing open to the public like this in Sac. or I'm sure I'd know about it. I'd love to see it in person. Alas, I'm not in the market for children's machines. But, some of the furniture may be awful tempting!

vintagemotif 03-12-2012 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 5053265)
I fix my vintage machines myself, but this was a Pfaff that I didn't feel comfortable tackling. It has a circuit board and I don't have the right tools for it. I researched the repair person and found only positives. His estimate was far below anything I could have gotten locally. I doubt my local place would have even been able to repair it, actually. So, now I wait....and hope:<

I guess you didn't know about the guys in Walnut Creek at the Sewing Machine Shop. They repair Pfaffs, along with other machines.

Monroe 03-12-2012 09:19 AM

I'm in love with those thread cabinets on EBay. Another thing to drool over and covet.

Candace 03-12-2012 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 5053286)
I guess you didn't know about the guys in Walnut Creek at the Sewing Machine Shop. They repair Pfaffs, along with other machines.

Yes, I did my research. Finding a repairman local isn't really a problem, as they repair Pfaffs here too- it's that they are 1)trying to tell you that the machine you want to repair is not "worth" fixing and will gladly sell you a new one 2)Probably triple or quadruple the amount I was estimated by this guy 3)parts for this machine are hard to come by and the guy I sent it to has a lot of them available and local places don't. So, I expected to receive it back much sooner...WRONG.

Fixing vintage Pfaffs are a niche and this guy is supposedly one of the best. But, if I ever get it back. I doubt I would ever go this route again!

melinda1962 03-12-2012 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 5053442)
Yes, I did my research. Finding a repairman local isn't really a problem, as they repair Pfaffs here too- it's that they are 1)trying to tell you that the machine you want to repair is not "worth" fixing and will gladly sell you a new one 2)Probably triple or quadruple the amount I was estimated by this guy 3)parts for this machine are hard to come by and the guy I sent it to has a lot of them available and local places don't. So, I expected to receive it back much sooner...WRONG.

Fixing vintage Pfaffs are a niche and this guy is supposedly one of the best. But, if I ever get it back. I doubt I would ever go this route again!

Sounds like you just went with your gut feeling, and it was just wrong. Sometimes life is just that way. I hope you get your machine back soon, and in good repair.

Kathie S. 03-12-2012 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 5053125)
Now, I do NOT need a whole collection. But, this is near me! http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAUTIFUL-DO...#ht_500wt_1221

Wow....

Deliver me from this temption. What a wonderful site. There was even old cars the hubby would love. If my vet bill was not so high I would be there in a New York minute. Kathie

purplefiend 03-12-2012 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S. (Post 5053705)
Deliver me from this temption. What a wonderful site. There was even old cars the hubby would love. If my vet bill was not so high I would be there in a New York minute. Kathie

I'm so very glad that this den of wondrous temptations is in northern CA.
Sharon W. in central Texas

Mizkaki 03-12-2012 01:08 PM

I just put 4 pictures in the Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos page.

Its my newest machine. The 99-13 in it's case fits into the hole in the table. Or the case and machine can be removed and the table closed for use as a desk. I've seen these in pictures, but never been up close and personal.
I'm excited. I haven't test run her yet as I don't like the wiring. I won't have the time to rewire her until next weekend.