Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

jljack 03-15-2012 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 5062409)
Do so! I think anyone who hasn't should take his class, like me!
It was very educational listening to Cathy last night. She is a walking encyclopedia of sewing machines and repairs.
I got to play with the darning spring and she had fun making the adjustments that were needed.

First machine that we tried the spring out on was my Singer 201. I was surprised at how well the FMQ turned out on that after she tweaked my bobbin. Then, it was my Necchi Supernova which the spring worked well on it. And after that was my Singer 328k, which was a big surprise for me since i had never FMQ with that machine. Cathy was cute making the adjustments and educating me on what to do. One can see that Cathy's passion and love is in fixing and tweaking machines. Best analogy is a sailor adjusting the sails to his sailboat to get the best sail of his life.

Cathy put the handcrank on my 99 last Fall at the TOGA, and it was so fun to watch her and learn the process. She is so very generous with her knowledge....a real asset to us, in case you haven't figured it out by now!! :-)

crewsemj 03-15-2012 10:53 AM

Hey Charlee, got the pkg. today and just want to say "Thank You". Now for a question -- is there a web site that can explain what each of these attachments do? Need to learn you know!! Never have been much of an attachment user so haven't a clue!!

vintagemotif 03-15-2012 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5061907)
Candace you are so funny! It would be fun, though, for the 3 of us - and anyone else who wants to join - to do the road trip and have lunch out!

Nancy

You mention lunch out and I want to go! Wish I lived closer!!! I'm going to have to think this one over, to go or not to go.

vintagemotif 03-15-2012 11:52 AM

I got to share this one with all of you. My son said that he could see me doing something like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0FVm_H_D18

melinda1962 03-15-2012 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5061977)
Ok Cathy, Candace, or Miriam I have a huge issue. My 3-year old grandson decided to play with my 319w when I wasn't looking. It is so messed it makes me sick! I thought it was just jammed, got all the tangled up thread out from around the bobbin casing - that I could see. The needle had been broken off - not sure where that went? Anyway, that baby won't budge without hitting the bobbin case now. There is a little finger thingy that attaches with a screw under the slide plate. It has a little hook on the side that attaches/sits near the bobbin casing. I tried to move it several ways, but I still can't get the needle down without hitting the casing. Do any of you know how that little finger is suppose to sit in comparison to the bobbin race? I messed with it until late last night. Right now the machine won't work at all. Cathy, you may get this one to fix!

Nancy

I am not one of them, but when I had to change out my needle a little while back, I didn't have it set just right and it was hitting. It was the only thing I had done, so I knew what to look for. Maybe it will be something that easy. Luck!!

miriam 03-15-2012 12:16 PM

I don't know much unless I see it. LOL I have a 2 year old grand son that would do some fun things to a machine too. Anytime he sees or hears a tool he is right there. Last night DH opened the hood of my car and looked - Wilbur got there so fast it wasn't funny. I shudder to think of that kid with a screw driver in hand or getting a hold of my Singer 319. I guess what I would do would be to open the throat plate, remove the bobbin and look - lift the machine and turn it in all directions - at least it isn't heavy. Use a little flash light and see if you can see that needle in there someplace - they will be to wedge in a tight place and jam things. It seems like that would be a logical start. I would have to go look at mine but I'm on the way out the door to pick up a $25 FW parts machine - well, we'll see. I wonder if there would be a picture of it on: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...c-t162425.html If not let me know what you need for a picture.

buslady 03-15-2012 01:19 PM

Whoo! Good! The sign of a really great vacation. Spent 3 days with DGS, and coming home with a new to me machine, Davis, beautiful cabinet, some attachments, and a booklet. Can't wait to get her home and check her out. I'm pretty sure she's a vertical feed.

BoJangles 03-15-2012 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by buslady (Post 5063004)
Whoo! Good! The sign of a really great vacation. Spent 3 days with DGS, and coming home with a new to me machine, Davis, beautiful cabinet, some attachments, and a booklet. Can't wait to get her home and check her out. I'm pretty sure she's a vertical feed.

Wow, I can't wait to see pictures - I love my Betty, Davis Vertical Feed!

Nancy

BoJangles 03-15-2012 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 5062183)
Aw, the little rascal... I can take some pictures of mine and post them if you can't figure it out. Yes, I agree with Charlee, that the needle has to be somewhere. And jammed in the bobbin assembly may be the spot. And there also may be some thread wound around the hook somewhere. No worries. We'll work together and get her back up and purring. Wait until the sun is up a bit more and take another look at her. If no go, I'll take some pics.

Ok everyone, the first thing I did was try and find the end of the needle. Never did find it, I think it must be in the carpet under the machine because it is not in the bobbin assembly anywhere. I couldn't understand why nothing moved when I took that little finger thingy off and put in back on the bobbin assemby. I finally had to take the bobbin assembly completely off the machine - a thing I never had to do before - and get tangled up thread out from between the hook/race or whatever it is that moves around the bobbin case. Nothing moved, which puzzled me because I know the 319 is a full rotary so it should have been going around in a full circle? Anyway, after removing more thread, I got the two units moving separately, but now the timing on the bobbin assembly is all wrong. Since I have never had to take the whole assembly off and put it back on before, I am having trouble getting the timing right so the needle actually clears the assembly! Any hints?

Nancy

Charlee 03-15-2012 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by buslady (Post 5063004)

YAY!! :) Can't wait to see pics!