Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

QuiltnCowgirl 04-05-2012 01:26 PM

Any guess on what model this machine is? Don't you just love it when they take pictures of the back of sewing machine? It would be like taking a picture of the undercarriage of a car you are trying to sell.

http://fresno.craigslist.org/for/2941751896.html

irishrose 04-05-2012 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher (Post 5119040)
It's been raining all day today so I thought I would clean up my 1910 Lotus. She sews as smooth as a babies bottom and smells good too, used baby oil. Here's a few pictures I took, then DH added his idea too. I made the dolls on a 1919 66 Red Eye.

Did you use Glenn's method? The machine looks wonderful.

vintagemotif 04-05-2012 03:06 PM

Talking about Glenn's method. Has anyone else had time to do his tutorial? IF so, please post pictures here.

Laura Lake, I'm still waiting for the photos of your two machines that you did using Glenn's method since you stated how amazingly easy it is to do.

I was kind enough to post my recipe after your loud response to where is the recipe. I see that you gave thanks for my quick posting of that recipe.

So, Where are your photos of your machine that you worked on? I know that you aren't low tech since you have a blog with photos. Numerous folks here are very interested in seeing results.

And what better way to help us!

Glenn has stated that he has done this for 40+ years. He has shown us his one machine and talked about the technique used. Thank you Glenn for taking the time out to do this!

For some of us, this is our first time using these products in this manner. So, seeing the results from others can help build our confidence- at least it does for me.

Crossstitcher 04-05-2012 03:19 PM

Irishrose, No I don't think this machine requires all that. Just used baby oil. We will be doing Glenn's method on other machines when the weather co-operates. One day nice next day cold. Then will post pictures.

Whigrose 04-05-2012 03:26 PM

...clean up my 1910 Lotus...

Beautiful! Her decaling looks darn near mint.

We - or more accurately I should say DH - surprised me with a Lotus last weekend. I haven't even had the chance to unlock her carrier yet :-( I hope she is half a gorgeous as yours.

best,
d

miriam 04-05-2012 03:37 PM

I'm waiting for the weather and time to eclipse to do Glenn's method. I have had some good discussion with my boss of late. Seems we are taking up the slack for someone who can't handle their job. DD is doing a lot better - she had a kidney stone after all. Thanks for all the prayers.

Monroe 04-05-2012 03:37 PM

I stopped at a shop during a road trip to acquire a Singer with Wings decals. The owner was pulling into the parking lot and saw the treadle in the back of my car. She advised wiping the machine down with ammonia on a rag to clean it, and if I see the decals silvering I've gone too far. I gently said I'd be gently cleaning the head with sewing machine oil so I wouldn't risk ruining the decals. I'm so thankful for all the good information posted on this site- people are very generous here! Turns out the treadle was in a tarp car hut. It is not in quite as good condition as expected so I plan to be Very careful. I plan to try Glenn's tutorial this summer on a practice head before I work on a good machine. It's nice to know there is so much that can be done inexpensively to restore these machines.

quiltdoctor 04-05-2012 03:39 PM

It's been raining all day today so I thought I would clean up my 1910 Lotus. She sews as smooth as a babies bottom and smells good too, used baby oil. Here's a few pictures I took, then DH added his idea too. I made the dolls on a 1919 66 Red Eye.

She is a beauty and so is her cabinet!! I love te little dolls !!

Texas Jan

miriam 04-05-2012 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Monroe (Post 5119472)
I stopped at a shop during a road trip to acquire a Singer with Wings decals. The owner was pulling into the parking lot and saw the treadle in the back of my car. She advised wiping the machine down with ammonia on a rag to clean it, and if I see the decals silvering I've gone too far. I gently said I'd be gently cleaning the head with sewing machine oil so I wouldn't risk ruining the decals. I'm so thankful for all the good information posted on this site- people are very generous here! Turns out the treadle was in a tarp car hut. It is not in quite as good condition as expected so I plan to be Very careful. I plan to try Glenn's tutorial this summer on a practice head before I work on a good machine. It's nice to know there is so much that can be done inexpensively to restore these machines.

no wild colors on my old ladies!

vintagemotif 04-05-2012 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5119467)
I'm waiting for the weather and time to eclipse to do Glenn's method. I have had some good discussion with my boss of late. Seems we are taking up the slack for someone who can't handle their job. DD is doing a lot better - she had a kidney stone after all. Thanks for all the prayers.

Kidney stones hurt! Hopefully she's not a person that keeps producing stones.

Happy to read that life is going a little bit better for you! Hang in there!!!