Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Candace 04-30-2012 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by jljack (Post 5183518)
Oooo! I like that one too, but not enough to drive 8 hours round trip for!! The gas alone would cost me $100.

It's only a 20 min drive for me, but not one I have to have...

jljack 04-30-2012 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 5183492)
Charlee the sewing machine cabinet on Atlanta's CL is the same as my VS2 cabinet. The lid is a little different but it is basically the same cabinet. It is very interesting.

Quiltncowgirl and I bought one of these exact cabinets & VS2s last year. This is the one where she took the machine & I took the cabinet, but later we decided they had to be together and she found me another cabinet and we traded. She now has the original cabinet & VS2 back together, and I have a straight leg Singer treadle with a 15 in it that my hubby refinished.

jljack 04-30-2012 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 5183537)
It's only a 20 min drive for me, but not one I have to have...

Right now I am consumed with my new Davis NVF and my other old ladies that need some work. I couldn't take on another machine right now if I had the $$...and that's tight too!! Oh well. We can dream and drool, right?? LOL

miriam 04-30-2012 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by jljack (Post 5183529)
No, not a 301. A 400 or 401, looks like, but not sure.

Try again - looks like a 403 to me.

pfroggg 04-30-2012 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5182458)
Charlee I love that cabinet - especially the treadle irons that say "vertical feed!" So handsome!

Charlee's treadle will have been made in Watertown NY--a high arm?--before Davis moved to Dayton OH in around 1890. A Davis low arm made in Watertown would have had something like 'Davis SMCo Watertown NY' cast into the pedal. Davis didn't cast the irons themselves but sourced them locally; treadles made after the move to Dayton usually have a foot pedal design that is a simple grid. FWIW! :)

pat

chris_quilts 04-30-2012 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by QwerkyQwiltz (Post 5179581)
Hello...I'm new here...I live in the TX Panhandle, I'm a quilter and have just started "collecting" vintage machines.
I have a Singer 15-91 in her original desk, a Morse 6500 in his original plastic carrying case (I'd love to find his cams!!!), a Singer Merritt 2404 in her original desk, they all work wonderfully and a couple others that need a little work. A couple of the others are even in their original desks too!! I seem to like the machines from 60's and 70's...the colors are fantastic, the designs are a little more wild, and the chrome is fun too.
I started getting these machines because I tend to "murder" the new machines within a year of thier young lives, they're just not built like they used to be. I know they have a warranty, but there's not a repair shop close enough to take them to, and the cost to repair plastic is crazy! I love the thrill of the chase when I see these machines at garage sales. I live in a very rural area so I don't have all the other great places to find machines like others do. I might have to start repairing and selling these babies to support my quilting and machine buying habit lol.
I hope to hear from anyone else that has vintage machines, maybe someone has a Morse 6500 they could share cam pics with, I love that teal machine, he's my jean quilt workhorse =). Maybe I could learn some tips and tricks from the rest of the group with using vintage machines to quilt. Those pics are very inspiring!

Welcome!! Nice to see you here. I have an older Morse that doesn't take cams but it too is a real workhorse.

vintagemotif 04-30-2012 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura (Post 5183474)
Well, I just wanted it to look a little different. I wanted it to look more like the blue metallic paint on the machine. So, I first painted it a metallic blue that didn't match enough. So, then I needed to either paint it black, or do something else, and so I went with the silver. It did not come out as glossy as the sample at the craft store, despite following directions. But, that's OK. It's not great art, or a valuable antique, so it is just for fun!:thumbup:

When I get the hand wheel drilled i will figure out how to post a picture. Laura

Interesting! I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures of this project. Are you going to call the machine Martha or Stewart?:D

miriam 04-30-2012 05:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I found some goodies in one of the drawers
[ATTACH=CONFIG]332080[/ATTACH]

miriam 04-30-2012 05:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and I found a manual - each color is a different page
[ATTACH=CONFIG]332081[/ATTACH]

vintagemotif 04-30-2012 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5183953)
I found some goodies in one of the drawers
[ATTACH=CONFIG]332080[/ATTACH]

The treasures of the cabinet drawers. That thread cutter looks interesting. And it's "only" 79 cents. Cool looking gadgets!