Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

jljack 05-01-2012 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by pfroggg (Post 5185180)
Thanks, will join--though I'm mainly interested in the VFs, especially pre-Dayton (I have low arm and high arm treadles, plus a frozen-up high arm HC). The VF group is sometimes a bit unfriendly. :rolleyes:

pat

Yes, Pat, I got quite a scolding when I put info on a Davis Advance on the database there. I promptly removed the entry to stop the uproar!! :-)

vintagemotif 05-01-2012 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by pfroggg (Post 5185180)
Thanks, will join--though I'm mainly interested in the VFs, especially pre-Dayton (I have low arm and high arm treadles, plus a frozen-up high arm HC). The VF group is sometimes a bit unfriendly. :rolleyes:

pat

In my opinion most of those Yahoo groups a bit stiff.

I like it here since we can be chatty. I also like it here since we can post photos with our comments. An instant referral on this site versus the some other sites where one has to hunt for a photo of the subject of the post.

vintagemotif 05-01-2012 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by jljack (Post 5185356)
I second that guess, Charlee. I used the database to date my new NVF...1915.

I've reach the point where I just say it has this shape and either has decals or not so it must be around this date.
My grouping of dates are anything before 1900s, 1900-1920, 1920-end of WWII, 1950s, 1960-1970, and any date after 1970s.

Most machines I like to work with are in treadles, and those machines are around 1900-1920 with a couple in the 1950.

vintagemotif 05-01-2012 08:32 AM

I also dislike sites asking for donations while there are so many sites, like this and yahoo, that are for free.
So, I'm NOT a member of those sites.
I'm not willing to paying for someone's travels, hotels, and nice dinners.

Yes, I'm bold and feisty today!

I use ad-block for this site. So, I don't see the ads.

vintagemotif 05-01-2012 08:37 AM

I cleaned my one Davis NVF recently. Not difficult to do. After cleaning, the machine is still loud. I was told if I cleaned its guts, then the machine would quiet down. :D Big laugh, it is still the loudest machine I own while the treadle is one of my smoothest and quietest.

jljack 05-01-2012 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 5185454)
I cleaned my one Davis NVF recently. Not difficult to do. After cleaning, the machine is still loud. I was told if I cleaned its guts, then the machine would quiet down. :D Big laugh, it is still the loudest machine I own while the treadle is one of my smoothest and quietest.

I love how the NVF treadles, too....really, really smooth!! I can't believe how easy it is to treadle. Lots easier then my 1956 Singer 15 in the straight leg treadle. That thing gives me a workout!

Monica, question....the treadle belt on my NVF has started slipping out of the groove on the wheel on the irons...is it too loose? It was a brand new belt when I put it on.

jlhmnj 05-01-2012 08:52 AM

What's neat about the Yahoo group system is it's ease of use and everything needed is built in (spreadsheet, photo's, links, files, etc. I'm not very computer literate so this was a great benefit. Plus anyone could start a "Kermit the Frog" Yahoo group in about 5 minutes and it costs nothing.

Jon

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 5185391)
In my opinion most of those Yahoo groups a bit stiff.

I like it here since we can be chatty. I also like it here since we can post photos with our comments. An instant referral on this site versus the some other sites where one has to hunt for a photo of the subject of the post.

Charlee 05-01-2012 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by jljack (Post 5185465)
I love how the NVF treadles, too....really, really smooth!! I can't believe how easy it is to treadle. Lots easier then my 1956 Singer 15 in the straight leg treadle. That thing gives me a workout!

Monica, question....the treadle belt on my NVF has started slipping out of the groove on the wheel on the irons...is it too loose? It was a brand new belt when I put it on.

Yep...clip an inch or so out of it! Leather stretches....I need to do a few of mine....

jljack 05-01-2012 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5185501)
Yep...clip an inch or so out of it! Leather stretches....I need to do a few of mine....

Thanks, Charlee....I knew you or Monica would have the answer. It was going along fine...in fact, it was just whipping along! That thing is FAST! Then all of a sudden the belt started slipping out of the groove. I suspected it had stretched, but wanted to be sure that was the problem before I cut it off again.

J Miller 05-01-2012 09:16 AM

OK gals, what does NVF stand for when you are referring to these machines?

Joe