Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

miriam 06-08-2012 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj (Post 5273114)
Good luck. As long as wires from pin 1 doesn't touch pin 2 and pin 2 touch pin 3, your good. Keep the notch in the connectors down and a hex point must be up. Hard part is keeping the 3 connectors lined up and putting the plastic top back on without the connectors moving out of position. It always took me a while with my clumsy fingers, perhaps all it needs is a ladies touch.

Jon

My sister and I tried with our little hands and we gave up and got a new one - I don't feel so bad now though.

miriam 06-08-2012 01:23 AM

OK. What do you look for on an Elderidge? The rusted can is there. Is there anything else goes on it? Will it work if it has a bit of rust?

J Miller 06-08-2012 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5273159)
I am interested in what ever you say about this. I have 4 or 5 of those machines and haven't got a clue what to do with them.

With some pics to see what the two of you have I might be able to help. I've got a Greyhound by New Home and it's got some weird wiring on it. But it's in a case, not a cabinet.

Joe

J Miller 06-08-2012 05:02 AM

Those three pin Singer connectors can be a pain but they aren't that bad. I've done a couple. They still work.

Joe

SewExtremeSeams 06-08-2012 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts (Post 5272814)
I have found where the plug goes but created another problem when machine was plugged in. The light blew and bulb blew off leaving just the metal piece in the socket. Also, found a manual on ISMACS which I printed off.

Too much excitement, Chris.

I have a few machines that I have not tackled yet, that have scary looking cords on them. Your expericence is what I am hoping to avoid, so I will be paying attention to the advice given.

jljack 06-08-2012 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 5272798)
I agree with Jon Davis machines do have a look of their own. I have several badged Davis machine, Pathfinder and New Companion and a Davis. Diff ages of course but really like them and they sew really great. Jon, I really like you Unique machine. Skip

I was treadling a little bit on my Davis NVF last night, and it is just amazing how easy it treadles. It really wants to go fast. And the quality of it's stitches is wonderful...very straight, even and tension is great.

jljack 06-08-2012 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5273164)
OK. What do you look for on an Elderidge? The rusted can is there. Is there anything else goes on it? Will it work if it has a bit of rust?

Miriam is that a two spools? Show a picture!!

miriam 06-08-2012 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by jljack (Post 5274041)
Miriam is that a two spools? Show a picture!!

I know where there is one and I have plans to go get it - does anybody know how to know if it is all there? It has a can with a wooden spool in it. Does anything else need to be there??? There is a bit of rust on the can - will that hurt?

miriam 06-08-2012 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5274176)
I know where there is one and I have plans to go get it - does anybody know how to know if it is all there? It has a can with a wooden spool in it. Does anything else need to be there??? There is a bit of rust on the can - will that hurt?

I'm going after it and I need a manual. Anybody know where to get one?

chris_quilts 06-08-2012 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5273159)
I am interested in what ever you say about this. I have 4 or 5 of those machines and haven't got a clue what to do with them.

Miriam; I believe it was the old bulb and not the old hag :D working the machine that was the issue there. It took a bit of doing but the metal piece of the bulb out and once I got the new bulb in, the light works fine. Am now playing with the clutch to get the needle to stop moving up and down for winding the bobbin. BTW, I invested the time at the ISMACS site and printed off a manual for the machine - my machine is a bit different but info is still valid. This machine uses the Bernina/FW/301 sized bobbins so I only have 2 to work with at the moment. Tonite I work some more on the clutch and tomorrow I hit the store to see if I get some more bobbins there and a new friction wheel for the motor as mine has a flat spot. The wires are all good and the handwheel moves away from you and not towards you. Happy to answer any further questions anyone might have.