Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Candace 06-10-2012 09:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey. You all know by now I'm not a treadle gal. So what's this machine and is it worth my attention? I was thinking of my first attempt at a repaint. Or not.

jlhmnj 06-10-2012 09:32 PM

Looks like it's already been repainted a while back. Paint it canary yellow with a black racing stripe and you can enter it in the "500".

Candace 06-10-2012 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj (Post 5280321)
Looks like it's already been repainted a while back. Paint it canary yellow with a black racing stripe and you can enter it in the "500".

Huh? I don't understand? It looks original to me? But, I was thinking candy apple red:> But, I would consider a lightening bolt. If I can get it for cheap, I'm wondering if it would be worth my elbow grease. Is it a 27?

jlhmnj 06-10-2012 11:01 PM

27 that dates to 1890's or early 1900's about 30 years before that paint scheme came out. Serial number would tell. Candy apple red with lightning bolt works.

J Miller 06-11-2012 01:11 AM

Candace,

Would you be thinking of refurbing the wood too?

Joe

QuilterGary 06-11-2012 04:09 AM

American Bottonhole overseaming and sewing machine co

American bottonhole overseaming and sewing machine co
Can someone tell me something about this machine? The earliest patented is Jul 26 1859 the latest 1867. The brass plate Manufactured By The American Bottonhole overseaming and sewing machine co. Philadelphia, Pa. I guess I have forgot how to post pictures. Can someone help me out? The machine is rough but if it is not worth saving the irons are great. The wooden pitent ? Rod is in good shape. Of course there is no cover and I think I can reglue the top. Any info please.

BoJangles 06-11-2012 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 5280291)
Hey. You all know by now I'm not a treadle gal. So what's this machine and is it worth my attention? I was thinking of my first attempt at a repaint. Or not.

Candace, it looks like a 27, probably late 1800's - I'd guess in the 1890's somewhere due to the wood pitman! The true 27's were not made long due to the location of the bobbin winder. That machine had to have a treadle belt to wind the bobbin, that is why later on people think their 27 was a 127 when actually it might be a 27 - the bobbin winder had just been moved up. Because there was no way to wind a bobbin on the true 27's without the treadle belt, people had to figure out how to wind that bobbin - so they moved the bobbin winder up so it could be wound when a friction belt and motor were added to the machine. Because of the location of the bobbin winder, you'd have to keep this machine a treadle - there would be no way to wind the shuttle unless you have a second machine that takes a shuttle. I'd love to see you take on this project - I bet it would turn out gorgeous!

Well the machine must not be worth 6 cents - that is what is sitting on the top! That veneer would have to be replaced, but it is doable! Remember my 127! It was worse than this machine! The machine would be darling in candy apple red - it looks like the decals are pretty gone anyway!

Oh and picking up this machine might be very interesting - look at the girl with a dress and black what look like old riding boots? Reminds me of Deliverance!

Nancy

Charlee 06-11-2012 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 5280283)
Shoot, Charlee...I was planning on bringing my nitrous oxide injector.:< You are just no fun.

Nope! You gotta look just as ridiculous as the rest of us!! :D

BoJangles 06-11-2012 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5280765)
Nope! You gotta look just as ridiculous as the rest of us!! :D

I'm telling you the odds would be on me to win the treadle Jelly Roll race! I am mailing the piece meal quilt this morning - I have lots of treadle racing practice under my belt - ummmm - legs!

Nancy

melinda1962 06-11-2012 06:18 AM

I know for a fact you have more treadling under your feet than me. I just like to know I can if I have too. Like coal oil lamps; have 'em, but hope I never use them. Sounds like you made good time on the quilt. Hope you thought to take pics to post on the pic thread when you get a chance.