Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

pfroggg 06-12-2012 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by QuilterGary (Post 5280618)
American bottonhole overseaming and sewing machine co
Can someone tell me something about this machine? The earliest patented is Jul 26 1859 the latest 1867. The brass plate Manufactured By The American Bottonhole overseaming and sewing machine co. Philadelphia, Pa. I guess I have forgot how to post pictures. Can someone help me out? The machine is rough but if it is not worth saving the irons are great. The wooden pitent ? Rod is in good shape. Of course there is no cover and I think I can reglue the top. Any info please.

An American is definitely worth saving! If possible, it should be restored in such a way as to keep it as original as possible (try Howard's Restor-a-Finish instead of refinishing, etc.) Here's a short article about them.

http://www.sewmuse.co.uk/american%20...%20machine.htm

Re posting pictures, can't help because I don't know how to do it either. :o Good luck!

pat

jlhmnj 06-12-2012 08:24 AM

Posting Pictures

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

I just recently figured out how to post a pic after much frustration. Here's what I do:

Go Advanced
Manage Attachments
Choose File
My Pictures, etc

jljack 06-12-2012 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5282014)
I don't get "reserve" prices... just start the bid at the minimum asking price and let it go from there.

I TOTALLY agree. Even if you put in a maximum bid that would probably go over the reserve, if other people don't bid it up, it never goes high enough to go over the reserve. Doesn't make sense to me.

jljack 06-12-2012 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 5283508)
Bennett, some 301's have their feed dog knob stuck. I had one machine that I had to work on for quite some time. You just need to Triflow it and keep at it and it will turn, eventually. You will have better control if you can get that knob turning and lower the feed dogs.

Yes, the thread cutter needs to be removed depending on which FMQ foot you use. A couple of my 301's are missing their thread cutter as I suspect someone removed it for FMQ and then never put it back. The FMQing foot is loud, I agree!

I did have to remove the thread cutter on my 301a to put the hopping foot on, but I don't have to drop my feed dogs or set the stitch length to 0 to be able to do FMQ. They just don't bother me at all. I love FMQ on the 301a. We don't go fast, but it's really easy to do small fill stitching on it, and you can really slow down and the stitch quality remains great!!

jljack 06-12-2012 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by notsureif (Post 5282845)
candaca. I would buy that in a heart beat
Fact I wish some of mine looked that good on the day they came home...... on one singer I did replace a piece of the top, it looked just like that one, THEN once getting more machines, The price of the veneer was out of the question. enough veneer the do the entire top is around $70 add this to about another $50 in other materails as glue lacquer, sand paper so on.... and a good 5 days worth of hard labor.... Thats if you have all the tooling...

so the last 7 have left with there ugly falling apart tops in place.. yet reglued, sanded smooth and lacquer...

I knew I was taking a chance doing this, these two were going to a lady friend who is a bit of a perfectist.. ok I gave her 4 treadles, 3 went to her with screwed up tops.....

she did make a funny look, ran her hand over the wood and fell in love with the look.....

I only have one pic showing what I do to the tops and the lighting wasn't good plus it's a bit blurry. I don't have any that show the area , before

Bobbin winder , I have 3 with the winder on the bottom and have never had an issuse using those. at times I do have to use a finger and push the winder against the belt, but then at times I end up doing the same on the round bobbin machines

all it takes is time and you have it

I actually LIKE that look!! Very cool idea if you don't want to refinish the whole thing with new veneer, etc.

jljack 06-12-2012 09:34 AM

A tip on posting pictures. Some cameras take the pictures at such high resolution that the file is way too big to post here. So, open the picture in Microsoft Picture Manager (or similar program), then resize the photo to Large E-Mail size (if that choice is given), and then save the picture at that size. You can then do what Jon said above....Go Advanced, Manage Attachments, Select File, Download. Then it will come up in your post.

nurseknitsLaura 06-12-2012 01:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So this is how far I've gotten on my cabinet to extension table project. Skip, do you see the two right hand pieces? they need to become one piece. Then I put little legs on to lift the machine, put the left hand extention on with it's hinges, and start relaxing that this project might work out. Laura
[ATTACH=CONFIG]341645[/ATTACH]

nurseknitsLaura 06-12-2012 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5280454)
Candace,

Would you be thinking of refurbing the wood too?

Joe

Candace- I think they are all worth our attention. I like a challenge. I frequently just remove splintered veneer like that, sand and stain with Minwax "fruitwood" and it looks a whole lot better. it doesn't prevent re-veneering at a later date, either. I'm sure that machine would teach you a lot, and it really is fun to rescue them. I've been catching and re-releasing treadles for a few years, now. I almost always have a sad little treadle around that I'm working on. Go for it! as for the machine itself, they are remarkably resilient.Laura

Joe[/QUOTE]

Candace 06-12-2012 01:44 PM

Yes, I'm usually up for a project, but in this case, the machine is going for higher than I would pay for it. Someone wants it more than me. It's in a local auction. Nope, this one is likely going to end up being ripped apart for someone to make a coffee table out of it:< I can't save them all.

Glenn 06-12-2012 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura (Post 5284318)
So this is how far I've gotten on my cabinet to extension table project. Skip, do you see the two right hand pieces? they need to become one piece. Then I put little legs on to lift the machine, put the left hand extention on with it's hinges, and start relaxing that this project might work out. Laura
[ATTACH=CONFIG]341645[/ATTACH]

Ok Lucy I see now, you plain good. Mark and drill holes use a 1/4 bit on the two sides of all boards. The holes should be 3/4" deep. Cut 1/4 diameter dowels (2ea) a less than 1 1/2" long. Woodglue and insert them. Put glue on all edges and mate them. Clamp on both sides with strap clamps. Four 1/4 holes and two dowels. Mark the location of the holes carefully so they align well.
Skip