Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

chris_quilts 06-24-2012 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5314244)
I'm not sure if I still have the one like that or if I sold it. I have a bunch that are lighter weight but made like that. The ones I have left look like they have never been used - looks like they were from a dealer. They have set around a long time and need to be checked over and cleaned. I'd like to get rid of them.

Well a magnet sticks to the machine so am thinking it's an older machine. That plus the top clamping attachments is why I'm thinking this. Anybody want to take a guess about his age.

miriam 06-24-2012 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts (Post 5314278)
Well a magnet sticks to the machine so am thinking it's an older machine. That plus the top clamping attachments is why I'm thinking this. Anybody want to take a guess about his age.

They all have those kind of attachments. Mine probably is newer.

BoJangles 06-24-2012 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 5314181)
Nancy, Now I see what you are stating about the belt.
Oh, and I love that nail polish that you are wearing.

Thank you Monica! I like it too!

Nancy

J Miller 06-24-2012 05:19 PM

chris_quilts

Chris,
I agree with everything the ladies said except, I would use Tri-Flow grease, not Singer lube grease. Singer grease will get hot and fling off the gears. Tri-Flow sticks better.

Joe

chris_quilts 06-24-2012 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5314291)
chris_quilts

Chris,
I agree with everything the ladies said except, I would use Tri-Flow grease, not Singer lube grease. Singer grease will get hot and fling off the gears. Tri-Flow sticks better.

Joe

Joe, just sent you a PM. Tri-flow not available in the area. :( However, once cleaned, grease can wait til I go to Wichita to check bike shops there. This dude may wait til I have more time. thanks for your information.
Chris

nurseknitsLaura 06-24-2012 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 5314205)
Yes, it is old grease. I would just remove all that oil grease with q tips and toothpicks and then put new grease, Singer lubricant, on.

That machine looks very heavy. He is a handsome machine!

sometimes I will use a little rubbing alcohol on the q tip/cotton bud to get that kind of grease off, too. Triflow grease is much prettier! Laura

nurseknitsLaura 06-24-2012 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts (Post 5314314)
Joe, just sent you a PM. Tri-flow not available in the area. :( However, once cleaned, grease can wait til I go to Wichita to check bike shops there. This dude may wait til I have more time. thanks for your information.
Chris

I think I bought mine off amazon....laura

grayhare 06-24-2012 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 5314253)
Anamaria, That Necchi is in a very nice base. So, you will not need to worry about putting in a cabinet right away for you to use. It can sit on a table for some time until you find a Necchi cabinet. I have seen the non treadle Necchi cabinets on Cl from time to time. Oh, and those Necchis are very heavy machines; so, place it in a spot that it can sit for a long period of time, but at the same time you can use it.

I forgot about that pristine base.:)

Thank you, I will have to keep my eyes open for a Necchi cabinet.

chris_quilts 06-24-2012 05:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura (Post 5314343)
I think I bought mine off amazon....laura

Good to know and thanks for information re rubbing alcohol and qtips.
Pictured is the latest helper giving me her opinion of what I need to do. This is Lily who is also the feline unit of the quilt police.

BoJangles 06-24-2012 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts (Post 5314387)
Good to know and thanks for information re rubbing alcohol and qtips.
Pictured is the latest helper giving me her opinion of what I need to do. This is Lily who is also the feline unit of the quilt police.

Lily is very cute!

Nancy