Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

chris_quilts 06-24-2012 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5314620)
Lily is very cute!

Nancy

nancy; Thanks. I agree and so does she. I also have a fabric inspector but have yet to catch a photo of him inspecting the fabric. He thinks he needs to help me cut it and I do worry about hs tail being in the way.

vintagemotif 06-24-2012 07:36 PM

I had thought that Triflow was used to remove rust and to lubricate bike chains. I hadn't thought of Triflow as a substitute for the gears on the sewing machine.

Are there two different products of Triflow? Or is one a multi purpose? Is TriFlow a silicone base? If so, wouldn't one need to make sure the surface is thoroughly cleaned of the previously used lubricant for the Triflow to adhere properly to the gears.

Are we talking about the same product? Triflow has a dry lubricant and a synthetic grease. Which one are we referring to for lubricating the gears?

irishrose 06-24-2012 07:48 PM

Before y'all get off the subject of Pfaffs, I posted this last week in vintage machines. The machine in question is a Pfaff 46, a simple German made ZZ machine - I'd say late 70s or early to mid 80s.
[h=2]Wobbly needlebar on a Pfaff 46.[/h]
I finally found a belt the right size so the motor doesn't scream anymore. This is a machine at my church where we have a quilt group. I want to get one of the resident machines sewing so I don't have to take mine. The New Home has no guts. The Touch and Sew's bobbin spring won't stay down and the Pfaff was screaming. I oiled it and replaced the belt. The machine will occasionally sew straight, but generally the needlebar wobbles back and forth and produces a slight zigzag effect. I took off the nose plate and the top cover. I can follow the path of the connectors to the needlebar, but it all looks okay. This is a very simple machine - probably the plainest ZZ machine I've ever seen. No bells and whistles. Nice machine, though a little noisy as it sits in a plastic case even though it is a metal machine. I know ZZ machines don't sew a perfectly straight seam, but this is far beyond that - close to 1/8". Any ideas?

J Miller 06-24-2012 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts (Post 5314314)
Joe, just sent you a PM. Tri-flow not available in the area. :( However, once cleaned, grease can wait til I go to Wichita to check bike shops there. This dude may wait til I have more time. thanks for your information.
Chris

Chris,

I got my Tri-Flow oil and grease from Sew-Classics.com { http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/ } Very fast service and reasonable shipping costs.

Joe

J Miller 06-24-2012 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 5314662)
I had thought that Triflow was used to remove rust and to lubricate bike chains. I hadn't thought of Triflow as a substitute for the gears on the sewing machine.

Are there two different products of Triflow? Or is one a multi purpose? Is TriFlow a silicone base? If so, wouldn't one need to make sure the surface is thoroughly cleaned of the previously used lubricant for the Triflow to adhere properly to the gears.

Are we talking about the same product? Triflow has a dry lubricant and a synthetic grease. Which one are we referring to for lubricating the gears?

Tri-Flow has many products. Their oil and grease is only two of them. Here is the home page link to Tri-Flow:
http://www.triflowlubricants.com/index.html

Check 'em out.

Joe

Candace 06-24-2012 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5314723)
Chris,

I got my Tri-Flow oil and grease from Sew-Classics.com { http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/ } Very fast service and reasonable shipping costs.

Joe

I buy it in the liquid form(locally) and lube/grease type form from Sew Classic. I also use it in place of Singer lubricant. I love it. 90% of the vintage sewing machine people I know who do their own repairs and refurbishing, have switched to Triflow products. What will happen in 50 years? Guess we'll find out. I'm sure the products people used 50 years ago that have now turned to glue and wax, thought they were using great stuff too:>

The grease goes on gears only and not in motors. I use the liquid on the other machine parts.

vintagemotif 06-24-2012 08:19 PM

Been reading up on Triflow which has teflon in it.

Ok, first time I used the stuff was at Cathy's at the TOGA. Triflow works extremely well!!

I'm just clarifying which item to use on the gears, which would be the grease over the dry lubricant.

Candace 06-24-2012 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose (Post 5314685)
Before y'all get off the subject of Pfaffs, I posted this last week in vintage machines. The machine in question is a Pfaff 46, a simple German made ZZ machine - I'd say late 70s or early to mid 80s.
[h=2]Wobbly needlebar on a Pfaff 46.[/h]
I finally found a belt the right size so the motor doesn't scream anymore. This is a machine at my church where we have a quilt group. I want to get one of the resident machines sewing so I don't have to take mine. The New Home has no guts. The Touch and Sew's bobbin spring won't stay down and the Pfaff was screaming. I oiled it and replaced the belt. The machine will occasionally sew straight, but generally the needlebar wobbles back and forth and produces a slight zigzag effect. I took off the nose plate and the top cover. I can follow the path of the connectors to the needlebar, but it all looks okay. This is a very simple machine - probably the plainest ZZ machine I've ever seen. No bells and whistles. Nice machine, though a little noisy as it sits in a plastic case even though it is a metal machine. I know ZZ machines don't sew a perfectly straight seam, but this is far beyond that - close to 1/8". Any ideas?

Sounds like something needs tightening and is allow too much play. Hard to say without testing it.

purplefiend 06-24-2012 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 5312195)
Candace, Those are very cute decorative stitches. I like the fish! The butterfly looks more like a bat, but it is still cute.

I must confess that I thought it was a bat too. :)
Sharon W.

Candace 06-24-2012 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend (Post 5314783)
I must confess that I thought it was a bat too. :)
Sharon W.

I did it in black thread. So yes, more bat like. In pink thread it would look more like a butterfly, I imagine.