Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

quilt addict 07-22-2010 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by mlaceruby
Well today is the day!

am taking pics will post when we get this one done!
can't wait as it looks like the decals are really nice(thru the dirt)
Michele

Make sure you take some before pictures. It is always great to see what can be accomplished. And, it is a reference of when you go shopping too.

I hope to have my Singer 191 done this weekend and back on as a treadle. I am scared to remove the tension gauge on the front. The chrome piece on the back could use some polish. I have to read the tutes again to see if I will be brave.

nwm50 07-22-2010 07:09 PM

Well,,,,,another machine for me! Finch found me an Singer beige 306 in super condition!
Can anybody tell me the story on this machine?
I was told it will take 2 needles when needing. Can sew thru
leather, thick jeans or go straight to cotton with ease. I believe it's an 1952-1953 model.Finch has taken pictures and will post eventually.

Miz Johnny 07-22-2010 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by nwm50
Well,,,,,another machine for me! Finch found me an Singer beige 306 in super condition!
Can anybody tell me the story on this machine?
I was told it will take 2 needles when needing. Can sew thru
leather, thick jeans or go straight to cotton with ease. I believe it's an 1952-1953 model.Finch has taken pictures and will post eventually.

I can tell you that these needles (206X13) are becoming obsolete, so buy a supply!! Not sure what is meant by taking 2 needles?? I love mine, so have bought up a bunch.
Don't believe the hype on leather, unless you mean thin leather. It's a household machine.

I love mine!!

Miz Johnny 07-22-2010 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict

I hope to have my Singer 191 done this weekend and back on as a treadle. I am scared to remove the tension gauge on the front. The chrome piece on the back could use some polish. I have to read the tutes again to see if I will be brave.

Is this an industrial?

PunkQuilter 07-22-2010 07:55 PM

Billy,

I am with you on that Wheeler and Wilson. Wow....I took a good look at that picture and it needs a good home where it can be appreciated..like say..Lisa's house!

quilt addict 07-22-2010 08:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

Is this an industrial?

No it is a Japanese made model of singer.

Before picture
[ATTACH=CONFIG]72597[/ATTACH]

quilt addict 07-22-2010 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by PunkQuilter
Billy,

I am with you on that Wheeler and Wilson. Wow....I took a good look at that picture and it needs a good home where it can be appreciated..like say..Lisa's house!

Punk, I would take really gooooood care of it.

Billy, Can I put a jar at the shop for donations to Lisa's addiction fund. Or maybe we can call it the SCTRF, Southern California Treddle Rescue Fund.

I can't believe these are still out there. I am getting much more selective in what I buy so I can save up for one of these babies.....oh, another of these parlor cabinets.

:?

quilt addict 07-23-2010 04:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Do you know where I would find the serial number on this old singer?

jackkip 07-23-2010 05:12 AM

ok, I need some help. You guys have gotten me addicted. So do you buy every machine you get? If not, how do you deal with the feelings of passing on one and then later wishing you had bought it?

Next question, where do you store said machines? Do you actually use them or just display them? I am scared of years from now showing up on one of the hoarder shows with so many machines you can't walk in my house. :-o

Though I will admit, DH was quite excited over my latest purchase. I think he might be getting bitten by the collecting bug.

Miz Johnny 07-23-2010 05:13 AM

Do you know where I would find the serial number on this old singer?

It's not a Singer; it's an old German transverse shuttle machine. I should know the maker (since I have one like it!), but will have to think for a minute or two. I see the remnants of Cherub and Bluebird decals on the base. Some pictures of mine are in this album; page 2, I think:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...56070058DDTEnQ