Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

irishrose 07-03-2012 07:23 AM

Can I save two? My Elna that I bought new in 1973 and AnnieRose, my 301. After the dogs, of course.

miriam 07-03-2012 07:26 AM

WHEE I seriously need to thin the herd. Way too many machines. I'm on the fast track for work lately though.

nurseknitsLaura 07-03-2012 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5335595)
WHEE I seriously need to thin the herd. Way too many machines. I'm on the fast track for work lately though.

I really need to re-post some machines on CL. The hard part is, of course, pricing. and dealing with humans who do or don't come when they say they will. I've been kind of blue lately, and it makes me much less tolerant of the perpetual "will it sew leather?" people. Like sewing leather is some type of gold standard, and not a specialty. I mean, do these people who've never sewn anything before have any idea how much a tanned hide costs? what are they planning on sewing? and what's with the " it sews 20 layers of denim" people? I've been sewing since childhood, and the only times I ever sew more that 4 layers of anything are few and far between. It's like people don't understand what the domestic sewing machine is for! Then I start worrying that these yahoos will mistreat the machine, and well, it makes thinning the herd a bit problematic. But, i have a necchi, a few whites, and a 201 that all need to go live somewhere else, so I suppose I had better stop whining.:p Laura

miriam 07-03-2012 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura (Post 5335652)
I really need to re-post some machines on CL. The hard part is, of course, pricing. and dealing with humans who do or don't come when they say they will. I've been kind of blue lately, and it makes me much less tolerant of the perpetual "will it sew leather?" people. Like sewing leather is some type of gold standard, and not a specialty. I mean, do these people who've never sewn anything before have any idea how much a tanned hide costs? what are they planning on sewing? and what's with the " it sews 20 layers of denim" people? I've been sewing since childhood, and the only times I ever sew more that 4 layers of anything are few and far between. It's like people don't understand what the domestic sewing machine is for! Then I start worrying that these yahoos will mistreat the machine, and well, it makes thinning the herd a bit problematic. But, i have a necchi, a few whites, and a 201 that all need to go live somewhere else, so I suppose I had better stop whining.:p Laura

Laura, you are not alone. I've been thinking about renting out my Consew to people who want to sew leather and tarps. $25 an hour on site and if they want me to do it - maybe an additional $50. If the machine breaks $100 for repairs. HE HE HE... that one is a bomb... Of course they can always buy the stupid thing for what I have in it... yeah sure. I don't get it either. I've sewn tarps and tents and bent needle bars on industrial machines... It isn't how many layers it is how much weight you can put on the needle bar... How big a needle you can pop in a machine. I've had to explain that over and over. Do you have a business? Usually not. If they are going to have a business they need the right machine for the job. If not - pay to have it done.

jlhmnj 07-03-2012 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5335274)
Jon that sounds like we are talking about the same machine, but who knows as the manufacturer back then is kind of a gray area because the companies were changing so much. It is confusing when you read what ISMACS wrote because the paragraph above states that Davis was the sole supplier of sewing machines - with a few exceptions - to Sears until about 1912. If you go to the ISMACS needle list site there is a Franklin made by White/Free (not sure ISMACS knows which one made it) then a Davis made Franklin, a Domestic made Franklin, and a National made Franklin, and of course a Franklin made by White for sure! I think some of the sewing machine historians are not positively sure who made what when the companies were switching around so much!

Nancy

I agree. There's a lot of confusing, conflicting, and wrong information out there.

vintagemotif 07-03-2012 08:35 AM

Laura, I thought you were remodeling a downstairs garage to fit all your machines. How many machines do you own? From what I read on your postings, it sounds like you have less than 20 machines. Surely, there is room for them in that new space. You should post the before and after pictures of your remodel...heehee...The Laura's Sewing Cave. I enjoy seeing how folks redo a space to make into their very own special "cave".

vintagemotif 07-03-2012 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5335297)
Is there 'any' way to tell other than to say that Franklin - A looks like a Domestic and Franklin- B looks like a Davis and so forth?
I'd like to nail down manufacturer and date of manufacture on mine if at all possible.

Joe

Joe, I would just google to find photos and info to do a comparison when I started looking at all the vintage machines that are not Singers.

SewExtremeSeams 07-03-2012 09:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just started a new thread of my Jones Handcrank:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post5335793

Nancy and Charlee, why would you have brought that machine home? I like it too but it is 2+ hours one way... guess I am feeling lazy.:D

Randa, I am so sorry to hear about your sister. I hate cancer. It is so wicked. God bless you and your sis as she deals with this ugly disease.

J Miller 07-03-2012 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5335324)
Joe, I think you can pretty much 'guess' by the shape, form but when the companies copy another machine like the Franklin that looks like a 27/127 - who knows for sure unless you can find an original receipt. You know we can go to one site and read who made what and it sounds so definitive, but then at another site it gets gray or changes completely. It is very confusing unless you are talking about a Singer since Singer is the one company who did not badge anything!

Nancy

Nancy,

Here's a pic of Mrs. Franklin:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...linCloseup.jpg
At first I read that it was made by Domestic. That is what I wrote in my log book. I'd like to be sure.

Joe

Candace 07-03-2012 09:32 AM

Laura, sorry you've been feeling blue. Been there done that and it's not fun. I would recommend that you wait to sell any of your machines until you're feeling better. I know when I went through my personal issues none of my hobbies or past loved items were appealing to me. It would have been very easy to let go of my things and I'm glad I didn't. When the clouds lifted finally, and I was me again, I would have been very regretful.