Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Charlee 07-10-2012 02:30 PM

I feel like I just scored BIG TIME!! :)

My big expenditure of the day? $17 for a Morse 15 clone. Pretty blue machine...but it's got a broken belt, so I can't *really* test it, but turning by hand it turns easily and makes a nice stitch, and plugging it in, the motor turns...I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best! That was at Goodwill.

At St. Vinny's (St. Vincent DePaul), for a whopping $1.75, I brought home a throw size quilt top, sampler style and adorable...and an about 24" Christmas tree wall hanging that needs quilted too. Oh! And a vest pattern.

So....I'm a happy camper right now.

Charlee 07-10-2012 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 5354217)
I have a neighbor who has a Minnesota A that belonged to his Grandma. It was given to her as a wedding present in 1908. Do any of you know a site were I can download a free manual for him. He wants to give this to his granddaughter. Thank guys. Skip

If Jon doesn't have one to share with you, check the Smithsonian website...

melinda1962 07-10-2012 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5354317)

My big expenditure of the day? $17 for a Morse 15 clone. Pretty blue machine...but it's got a broken belt, so I can't *really* test it, but turning by hand it turns easily and makes a nice stitch, and plugging it in, the motor turns...I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best! That was at Goodwill.

At St. Vinny's (St. Vincent DePaul), for a whopping $1.75, I brought home a throw size quilt top, sampler style and adorable...and an about 24" Christmas tree wall hanging that needs quilted too. Oh! And a vest pattern.

Can't wait to see pics of the blue one. You know I like the different colored machines.

jlhmnj 07-10-2012 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 5354217)
I have a neighbor who has a Minnesota A that belonged to his Grandma. It was given to her as a wedding present in 1908. Do any of you know a site were I can download a free manual for him. He wants to give this to his granddaughter. Thank guys. Skip

Here's a 1900's Davis Burdick manual which is similar. Minnesota B and Burdick are the same machine. If your neighbor's "A" was made in 1908 it was made by Davis.

http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...f/sil10-37.pdf

Jon

quiltingweb 07-10-2012 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5354069)
Sounds like you can not turn the machine by hand at all. Try taking the needle out - take out the bobbin. What have you already done to the machine? Did you use sewing machine oil or Triflow to oil it? Did you open up the bottom of the machine and oil down there? Did you open up any access holes to the top and end? Pay special attention to the parts that look like wrenches or forks - if those gunk up there is no moving. How much dried up oil can you see inside the machine? I like the Triflow because it will loosen up the old dried oil. It is not the oil that you can see that will gunk it up. It is the oil dried in the cracks between moving parts - sticks like cement. Heat will help some, too. I like to oil a drop and then attempt to rock the machine just a little any movement that will get the Triflow into the cracks will help. You need to oil all of the potentially moving places - look at another machine as you go if necessary. I also turn machines upside down and on end to the get the oil to go into the cracks.

I have oiled the whole machine. I took it apart, bit by bit, to discover what moved and what did not. I have narrowed it down to the middle rod that runs from a gear on the right side over to the bobbin spinner on the left. The bobbin area does not move at all. All of the other parts move slightly when I move the hand-wheel, gently, back and forth. The needle bar was...is...stuck in the down position, but when I removed a few screws, I was able to unstick the needle bar, wiggle and lift it and removed the needle so it is no longer stuck in the bobbin area. That gear, that rod is the only thing that does not move. There wasn't a lot of lint, in fact, the machine looks pretty clean. The hair dryer sounds like a possibility. It does look, however, like a mouse had moved in for a while and stashed his seeds, but I got all that out. I really want to sew with this machine. The treadle runs SO smoothly.....

Question...when I do get it going...does a thicker lubricant go in the gear area? I think that's what I've read...or is that just for the newer machines with the plastic gears?

Charlee 07-10-2012 03:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here you go Melinda...amid the clutter of my cutting table... :) This one says, "Precision Built Model 2600, Made in India"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]348136[/ATTACH]

And the two quilt tops, the little one is already sandwiched:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]348137[/ATTACH]

And this one needs top and bottom borders...I think I have some of this fabric!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]348138[/ATTACH]

quiltingweb 07-10-2012 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5354317)

THAT is an amazing find! I LOVE finding old quilt tops and finishing them. I feel like I'm helping someone finish what they always meant to do, but didn't have the time.

Havplenty 07-10-2012 03:10 PM

can any of you tell what model of singer this is?

http://images.craigslist.org/5I15K85...ad8e381076.jpg

vintagemotif 07-10-2012 03:12 PM

Havplenty, That is a Singer 328.

vintagemotif 07-10-2012 03:14 PM

Charlee, Very nice finds! Someone spent a lot of time working on the Christmas quilt top.