Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

BoJangles 07-18-2012 05:46 AM

Who was talking about the Touch and Throw - uhhh I mean Sew, with the plastic feed dogs recently? I just saw one of those in our local repair shop! The lady wondered why it didn't move the fabric any more - I mean it worked perfectly and now it won't move the fabric! Geeze, I wonder if any other manufacturer besides Singer came up with that wonderful idea! Are there any other machines floating around with plastic feed dogs? Since Singer never badged a machine - I seriously doubt any other manufacturer would have made one of those crown jewels! Anyone ever seen or heard of a machine besides the Touch and Sews with that little adornment?

Nancy

Charlee 07-18-2012 06:20 AM

We're still on the coast today, will do a bit of junkin today, but not much...yesterday wasn't real productive, found a bakelite box of White top clamps, and my MIL and Sis in law bought me the cutest little sewing machine clock! I'll post a pic of it when I get home.

This has been a good trip...generally speaking! :)

Melinda, I'm so happy for you....and as weird as it might seem, am proud of your doctor daughter!! :D Congrats!!

Havplenty 07-18-2012 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5374636)
Ok I had two 301's, and sold my short bed - kept the long bed! Why did you sell your long bed? Do you prefer the short bed or just didn't want two 301's? I had a very hard time selling my short bed as I love the 301's, but a friend wanted it - that is the only reason I sold it!

Nancy

my short bed is in a cabinet so i kept that one. i thought about keeping both but.... the 301a long bed has found a good home.

i am the person who didn't want to accumulate a lot of machines, but to use what i have. i am increasingly finding that there are more vintage machines that continue to call my name and i want them.

i got the 1st 301a because i saw on this board how good machines they were to quilt with, i got the 15-91's because of this board and i just love them, i got the 2nd 301a because it told me to buy it so what was i to do and now there is a 306w calling my name along with a 1970ish(i think) bullet shaped kenmore.

i just do not have the space right now to collect machines as i need to live in some of the space. while i am learning quite a bit from you all, i also think that there is some influence going on here. pretty soon i may be thinking about bringing a treadle home and sitting my bed on the back porch so the treadle will have some room.:D

mary

BoJangles 07-18-2012 07:45 AM

Have fun junkin today Charlee, what part of my coast are you on?

Mary, this board is extremely enabling! I started with a Spartan I found at a yard sale in early 2010. I posted here to see what I had as I thought it was really cute! Now, I have machines in a little 8x20 ocean going cargo unit set up as a little sewing machine museum for the machines that don't fit in the house - but, are just too nice to give up! I have really cut down on buying/accumulating machines, though, now I am really picky about what I want. I pass a lot of machines up at yard/garage/thrift store sales! I am thinning my herd too - down to the machines I really like or use. Once you have been doing this for a while, you will find there are machines that you just have to have and others not so much - so you will get picky!

Nancy

vintagemotif 07-18-2012 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5374554)
Yep, I have one. A Kenmore 120-49. Her name is Betty. I have a video here somewhere of her running without clothes on.
These machines take an obsolete needle (Kenmore #49 or Boye 2 1/2) and a bobbin the same size as a 221.

Here's a pic of mine naked, oohhh the shame, the shame ...... :). You can clearly see the chain drive on the right:

Joe

Joe, That is very interesting! This is one machine that in my opinion looks so much nicer naked.:D I find most of the Kenmores not too pretty, minus the Lady K. If I owned this machine it would be displayed this way all the time. Thanks for posting the link to your video on naked Betty!

vintagemotif 07-18-2012 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5374648)
Anamaria, didn't you see Scotty win American Idol? I love that kid! He won at 17 (I think he was only 17)! What a voice!

Nancy

I'm not a huge Country fan, but I agree that he has an excellent voice!!!

vintagemotif 07-18-2012 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5374732)
Ok you guys I finally had a awwwwwwwe moment and realized what machine I need to give the granddaughters who sew! I am going to refinish the little oak cabinet - I put in the cargo unit - that the pink Sterling came in, and give that one to the girls. One of the girls is using it anyway - here - making a rag quilt so she is already use to the machine. That machine will be perfect for them! It drops its feed dogs, has zig zag, is a pretty pink for girls, and will sew through most anything! It is a dedicated left hand needle, but that won't matter for what the girl's are doing - making bags/back packs, sun glass cases, hemming/cutting off jeans! It will be perfect and I will feel good about it as I paid too much for the machine - couldn't sell it for what I paid - but, if the girls have it and love it - it won't matter![ATTACH=CONFIG]349932[/ATTACH]

Nancy

Prefect!!!! That makes for a sweet machine for a teenage girl! I love the quilt in the back too!

vintagemotif 07-18-2012 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5374760)
Who was talking about the Touch and Throw - uhhh I mean Sew, Anyone ever seen or heard of a machine besides the Touch and Sews with that little adornment?

Nancy

Touch and Throw would be me complaining about the poor quality of engineering...hopefully no other company copied.

Havplenty 07-18-2012 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 5369552)
Miriam, is it actually a useful machine besides looking neat? I guess I'm wondering what it would be able to do that a regular machine with a binding attachment wouldn't be able to do?

here is a binding machine in action. not sure if you all see this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg49c..._order&list=UL

irishrose 07-18-2012 09:17 AM

While we're on the subject of Touch and Throw, how about the one with the big spring that holds the bobbin in place. The one at the church isn't doing it's job, so I can't sew more than a few stitches before the thread breaks. I really want a straight stitch slant needle machine there, but is it worth putting any money in that machine? My LQS guy says he can replace it if he can find a spring. Interesting machine - the bobbin fills in place and it can be converted to sew a chain stitch.