Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

J Miller 08-07-2012 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts (Post 5422629)
Joe; Here's pictures of Sad Sally, the cabinet.

Yep it do. Kind of reminds me of the 9W-7 cabinets I've got under repair in the garage. Missing pieces on one that I've been fabricating, and water damage on the other that's also being repaired.
They can be fixed, all it takes is time, effort, some glue,wood stain and finish.

Joe

chris_quilts 08-07-2012 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5423363)
Yep it do. Kind of reminds me of the 9W-7 cabinets I've got under repair in the garage. Missing pieces on one that I've been fabricating, and water damage on the other that's also being repaired.
They can be fixed, all it takes is time, effort, some glue,wood stain and finish.

Joe

Well, if you need parts and mine can help, I'd be happy to help you out. Sad Sally is one DH says has to go because she has no machine in her ~ he doesn't get the rescue part......yet. But I have hope for him.:D

Candace 08-07-2012 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by sew wishful (Post 5422870)
I had white oxidation also on a featherweight...I scrapped off all loose paint and then oiled the daylights out of it!! Thought that would at least stop the oxidation for a bit....so now you think I should dremmel it to clean it all off? Don't really plan on a repaint on it. It's only about 1/4 - 1/2" from the bottom of the base upward.

Like I said, that's not oxidation. It's rot and it's like cancer. It needs to be removed and you need to monitor that it doesn't come back.

J Miller 08-07-2012 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts (Post 5423912)
Well, if you need parts and mine can help, I'd be happy to help you out. Sad Sally is one DH says has to go because she has no machine in her ~ he doesn't get the rescue part......yet. But I have hope for him.:D

chris,

Oh, my, make your DH something he really likes and tell him that if that treadle disappears he best go with it.
If you give him a coy little smile :) when you say it, he think twice about messing with it.

Anyway, on the serious side, I'd take it if I was in the neighborhood. But we're just a bit far apart to make a road trip. I said that cos I have a Minnesota Model A that is homeless.

Joe

xxxxxxxxxx 08-07-2012 09:32 AM

oxidation is the porper term used for alum rot/rust

J Miller 08-07-2012 09:41 AM

Aluminum does not "rot", it is a metal not an organic substance such as wood. It corrodes and oxidizes. This is the white powder you find on the surface of aluminum objects such as the Feather Weights and other aluminum objects. This condition will pit and eat away at the base metal until it's gone if it's not removed completely by sanding or chemical means. It's the same result as rust and oxidation on ferrous metals.

Joe

xxxxxxxxxx 08-07-2012 10:24 AM

we got into these old rolly Iron's , Could have had one when I bought the standard treadle.

well, to use the Iron ya need to wash,,, now I know what the wringer my son brought here is from. I was thinking it's off a mop bucket but no. Has to be off one of these,,,,
as a kid we did have a washer with a gas motor and a outhouse

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/atd/3183540813.html

redbugsullivan 08-07-2012 10:26 AM

Oh my. My dream vintage machine has shown up on CL 90 minutes away for only $75. My family is beginning to think I've gone off my rocker because I keep buying machines!! What does one do?!? I'll give away my ReverSew 40 in its pristine condition. I'll re-home the White treadle... HELP!

I really want this Necchi! It will be perfect for my Singer treadle irons. How do ya'll handle your extended family giving you a rough time about all your machines? "What are you planning to DO with them?"

chris_quilts 08-07-2012 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5424304)
chris,

Oh, my, make your DH something he really likes and tell him that if that treadle disappears he best go with it.
If you give him a coy little smile :) when you say it, he think twice about messing with it.

Anyway, on the serious side, I'd take it if I was in the neighborhood. But we're just a bit far apart to make a road trip. I said that cos I have a Minnesota Model A that is homeless.

Joe

He has a quilt already. He haasn't aid anything about the other 4 tradles and 30 plus e-machines in the house so I can give a little. I just want her to go to a good home where she'll be appreciated.

Candace 08-07-2012 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by notsureif (Post 5424307)
oxidation is the porper term used for alum rot/rust

Good to know. I've been told it's a completely different beast and much worse than rust.